Dealer issues, could use some advice

TDEinthe808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium on order, Explorer, Audi Q5PHEV
Country flag
Aloha, friends. Longtime ”lurker” on these boards which I have enjoyed, but the time has come where I could use some advice.

The short version of the story is that my dealership banged up my MME (which they are fixing, so this is hopefully not really an issue) and are trying to pass along about $2200 in extra costs and add-ons I don’t want. My Dad’s a retiree so I’m buying on Z Plan, which they said they honor, but it’s not really Z Plan pricing If they’re charging me $2000 extra for things like stain protection and purification (whatever that is) and refusing to honor Z Plan’s cap on doc fees. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

For those interested in the full backstory, I reserved a Premium in January 2020, ordered in July, it came in in early March. So far so good. I stopped by the dealership as soon as it came in to check it out and get some pics. A few days later I went to the dealership to get a trade-in quote on my explorer, figure out what my financing options were, and of course take it for a test drive. The test drive was great but when I came back (salespeople don’t ride with you during covid) one of service techs noticed a big scrape on the front left corner. After a bit of confusion we quickly concluded that it was too big for me to have done on my test drive without noticing it (also, it appeared to have been done by someone reversing, which I didn’t do). They asked if I still wanted the car, I said yes, but that my expectation was that it would be pretty much good as new (order new parts if you have to, don’t just buff it and touch it up... plus there’s electronics and sensors in the area, hard to tell if they were affected).

So they sent me a cost overview but the conversation really turned from cost and financing to the timeline and quality of the repairs. Fast forward a month because in Hawaii it takes forever to get parts and paint shipped in and repairs are almost done. We pick up the conversation about the financial end of things and I see there’s a $3000+ line item for fees. What’s in that, I ask? Well in addition to things I’d expect like registration, there was about $1500 for some stain protection package and $500 for an anti-germ and bacteria package. I said no thanks to those and please fix your doc fee, and they basically said “too bad, these dealer-installed options are not really optional at all.” (FWIW these fees were in the original estimate so it’s not like they just added them on as a means of trying to recoup their insurance deductible.) So that’s where things stand, Dad reached out to the Z Plan people but hasn’t heard back yet. Any other ideas? I kind of want to walk away on principle but don’t want to wait another year for the car (which was every bit as awesome as I had hoped) when I reorder from somewhere else. They’re not required to honor the Z Plan, but they said they would, and it’s shady of them to take the order believing they could just soak me with other high margin add-ons because they feel like there’s not enough margin in the Z Plan for them.

Mahalo in advance for any bright ideas you may have.
Sponsored

CaPhil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach e Premium SR, Star White
Occupation
Retired engineer
Country flag
My dealer tried a similar tactic re extra cost items that I didn't want. When I threaten to complain to Ford, they dropped the extra charges.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Howzit and mahalo.

It’s Windward Ford
Somehow that doesn’t surprise me. There are a few Oahu folks here that might have mo bettah answers. But I think a bit of pressure at the email linked addresses above might get you some movement.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Walk away and buy a different car from a different dealer. I hate to say it but these tactics make me so angry. I was so close to walking away from mine for them charging me $795 for that BS. I paid it though because it was the only way I was going to be able to buy an FE when I hadn't placed an order for one. The fact they put that BS on your ORDERED car blows my mind.

It was not part of the purchase contract when you ordered, therefore you are entitled to your deposit back and they'll get stuck with the car. I would be a real pain in their ass and get them to take it off or give you your deposit back and walk. Call Ford, escalate - That is complete robbery in my opinion.

I understand car dealers don't make much money on new cars, but you are paying MSRP after all so they will make a couple bucks.

The reason I caved is they could have sold the car to someone else since I hadn't reserved it and paid a deposit. Also it was $795, not $3000. I would have walked for $3k.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Walk away and buy a different car from a different dealer.
It’s Hawaii. Things are different here. Even on Oahu where the OP is.

Another dealer means the other 2. Or go to the mainland and ship. Those numbers aren’t in your favor.

That’s why I think an email and maybe a tweet to Mike Levine might help.

Papa T

First Name
Treven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X1
Country flag
Like @CaPhil, my dealer tried to slip in nitrogen in the tires and an interior protection plan. They didn't even mention it, and I was so focused on arguing my trade in price with them that I almost missed it. When I finally noticed, I told them I had a contract with Ford with exactly what I had ordered, and that was not on my contract. I received a little bit of hesitation, but I made it abundantly clear there was no way I was going to pay for something that I did not ask for, and that was not on my order. My next step was to reach out to Ford, but they finally zeroed it out without my having to take that approach. If they don't back down, I think there is good support that if you reach out to Ford, they will back you on this.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
It’s Hawaii. Things are different here. Even on Oahu where the OP is.

Another dealer means the other 2. Or go to the mainland and ship. Those numbers aren’t in your favor.

That’s why I think an email and maybe a tweet to Mike Levine might help.
I understand. My point was go with a different brand. Screw Ford if the dealers can get away with that crap. I'm a die hard Ford fan but I'll stick to my principals.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I understand. My point was go with a different brand. Screw Ford if the dealers can get away with that crap. I'm a die hard Ford fan but I'll stick to my principals.
That’s possible. He could buy a Toyota like everyone else in the state. ;)

The thing is there are a shortage of these cars here. Even the “big” dealers in the other side of the island from him don’t get many. Refused deliveries are rare here. And in the outlying islands? Yeah very rare.

In this case his dealer has no business doing this to an ordered car. It’s also not surprising imo, coming from that dealer.

Last edited:

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
The problem here is a dealer can tack on fees, then if you don't pay them, they have a car to sell to someone else which they'll jack up $10K, and if you do pay them, free money!

Almost all of us are playing the game by the rules, no negotiating, except the plan pricing, and the dealers can't stop themselves from taking a steaming one on top of the process with ADM (still going on in the Bay Area), BS addons, low balling trades (despite Carvana and other online tools), shenanigan's in the finance office, etc.

My first post here was arguing with a guy about how dealers add nothing, well, I submit your experience as evidence. The dealer network was always the weak link, worse than the charging networks, for this car.

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Write sn email to the people listed on this webpage. About halfway down. The customer experience executives and James Farley.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/ford/

Which dealer btw? I’m over on Hawaii island.
I second this, email these people and you will get results eventually. I didn't want to walk away and overpaid but eventually got the money back from the dealership and got things the way they agreed to originally. Love Ford corporate, but the dealers can KMA.

MissyBenita

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E premium
Occupation
retired detective
Country flag
I'm late to this party, but had a very similar experience at the same dealer with my MME. Oh, I've learned from this experience & will not make the same mistake in the future. ADM's are bad enough ($6,000 here), but the mandatory BS dealer costs (just like you were saying), a VIN glass etching that's done at the dock, dropping the trade-in value by $1,500 when I swapped special order cars. (I originally ordered the Bronco sport, didn't like it & took someone's black MME, that was Z-priced, but they weren't happy). Probably paid $9,000 over MSRP, got $5,000 less than low blue book on my Avalon hybrid & paid another $5,000 for extended this & that. Then the black paint was ruined by their Resistol application (heard that guy was fired - but no price adjustment) & had to take it somewhere else for paint correction for $1,600.

Obviously, I'm not pleased particularly since my MME is lacking about 14 updates & dealer won't do them since it's not manufacturer ordered. I have elements of the car not working properly, but still they won't do them.

I have since purchased my son a new car for college in Bozeman & paid $21,000, out the door. Montana is a no sales tax state, no ADM at that dealership & when I priced same car locally (smaller engine, RWD vs. 4 wheel drive), they wanted $34,000. He said it with a straight face, too.

My friend wanted a MME & is buying in Bozeman after my car buying debacle. For the time being, it's stuck at the rail yard in Billings for an unknown factory hold, so we're waiting for our road trip to Tacoma to begin. My Seinfeld-like episode of the car buying experience is my friend's coup.

The bright spots in this are that I LOVE the car (except the software issues) & the dealership has a new GM, who is a gem. Sadly though, the service dept. is in over their head re: handling MME issues for diagnosis & software updating. Even sadder is that I think I have a better grasp of resolving those issues after reading through the various forums on this site & I still can't (or don't want to) navigate Facebook.

I do have a Lightening on order (Bozeman as my home dealer!), but we shall see how Ford is handling the electric issues first.

Just wanted to chime in that you have a shared experience.
Sponsored