chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'm thinking the chances of your roof flying off are incredibly low, however, the liability cost, read lawsuit, to a manufacturer if it does happen far exceed the cost to R&R a glass roof seal. It's basically a horizontal windshield repair. I'm not doing ours until the dealer or their subcontractor has done a few.
to be clear the roof recall is only inspect clean and add sealant as needed it does NOT entail removing the roof.
Sponsored

Echostorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black Prem MME x4
Occupation
Code Monkey
Country flag
I made an appointment with my local dealer to do the window and roof recall work and they called me back immediately saying they couldn't do the roof because they don't have a body shop and that the parts won't be available until January at the earliest. I boggled but the referred me to another dealership with a bigger service department so we'll see how that goes.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Sounds like they don't want the liability of lifting and breaking the 200lb+ roof glass. My dealership in Salem/NH recommended waiting a bit before doing the recall because of risk of breaking and shortage of supply in case it does. My car could be out of commission for a few weeks until a replacement is available.
Not sure if he is just trying to scare me and convince not to do it now, but either way. I guess I can wait until winter is over and a can enjoy a possible convertible MME in the summer.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Had a similar experience with a recall inspection for my Pacifica Hybrid at my closest Chrysler dealer just yesterday. (I bought it from another, more distant dealer because this one couldn't get me the van when I originally needed it.) Oddly, there were posters all over the waiting area suggesting that customers rate the dealership on Yelp! and Google, so I did. For Ford, I would also have reached out on Twitter to Jim Farley and Mike Levine.

While it is true that dealerships are independently owned and operated and thus can refuse non-buyers, they are also under contract to Ford, and they have responsibilities to the brand and its customers. {Jonathan}
I have a relative with a Pacifica hybrid. Our local dealer won’t touch it because they are not certified by Chrysler to work on hybrids. They won’t even do an oil change!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I know with Chrysler in the old days warranty work could only be performed at the dealer that you purchased your car from unless you were over 50 miles away from that dealer.
That must have been the very old days because that has not been the case in the 25 years that I've owned Chryslers.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Mainly because if the roof or windshield ever came off and injured someone, you could be liable because you knew about the recall and did not get it fixed.
Windshields are an integral part of protection in an accident, both from objects coming in as well as providing structural integrity in a rollover. That's the main reason to do the windshield recall.

The risks on both are pretty clearly stated in the recall later posted.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I talk to my local dealership last week and he said they are waiting for more information on the recall so can not setup a time yet to do it. (I bought my Mach E from another city but they did not have an issue with that, just that Ford had not told them how to do the fix yet)
According to the letter that Ford sent up the dealers should have had the info by Nov. 15th.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I made an appointment with my local dealer to do the window and roof recall work and they called me back immediately saying they couldn't do the roof because they don't have a body shop and that the parts won't be available until January at the earliest. I boggled but the referred me to another dealership with a bigger service department so we'll see how that goes.
Wait, they can’t get the adhesive until January? The roof recall is only for inspection, cleaning, and installation of adhesive/sealant. No parts other than cleaner and sealer involved.

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
According to the letter that Ford sent up the dealers should have had the info by Nov. 15th.
I said the same thing to mine - Bellevue seattle - but they said they haven’t got the communication from Ford.

RING AHEAD!

My dealership service Center sent me emails confirming my appointment but told me they didn’t have time to actually read the reasons and email if they were unable to do the work. (But happy to waste mine and their time with a pointless trip)

Separately, they also wouldn’t fix the parking sensor because another Ford Center messed it up. Like Ford pays you or them, what difference does it make?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Sounds like they don't want the liability of lifting and breaking the 200lb+ roof glass. My dealership in Salem/NH recommended waiting a bit before doing the recall because of risk of breaking and shortage of supply in case it does. My car could be out of commission for a few weeks until a replacement is available.
Not sure if he is just trying to scare me and convince not to do it now, but either way. I guess I can wait until winter is over and a can enjoy a possible convertible MME in the summer.
They're not lifting the roof. Why are so many people getting this confused? The roof is to just apply a new sealant, it doesn't even say they'll inspect the existing, it just says they'll apply new sealant. The windshield is what has to be lifted out and they'll contract this out to SafeLite or a similar glass specialty company, so no issues there either.

GotMachE

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
I called my dealership at Santa Clara, CA for the recall and they asked me to wait for another letter/notice from Ford. WTH

jetermeyer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX 300H, Acura TLX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have never with any car company had a dealer refuse to perform a factory recall, but now that I have purchased a Ford, I have. Ford has issued two recalls concerning the seal of the roof glass and the windshield on my Mach-E. I contacted the closest dealer, Watertown Ford in Massachusetts, and was unequivocally told they would only perform the service if the car was bought from them. Since mine was purchased elsewhere, they would not perform the recall. One of the major pluses of dealing with a reputable nationwide company is not to have this kind of treatment. Any ideas?
I bought my Mach E from Watertown Ford. Up to now they have been very helpful with any issue or TSB I needed. I called them about the recall. They said the recall requires a body shop and glass company. Watertown Ford does not have a body shop. So everything needs to be outsourced. They are currently waiting for a part they need to provide before setting this service up for me. My guess is it requires them to do a bunch of coordination work but very little if any of the actual work. So they don't have a lot of incentive to take on other Mach E they didn't sell. Since I did buy mine from them they have been very helpful so far in getting me set up to get the recalls done.

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
I have a relative with a Pacifica hybrid. Our local dealer won’t touch it because they are not certified by Chrysler to work on hybrids. They won’t even do an oil change!
Not the issue with mine.

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ford Mustang, 2020 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've been using the same dealer for service over 28 years and never have had an issue. All have been Ford vehicles. Some have been bought from this dealer, some have not. On warranty work, they may not have had the part(s) to complete service, but have always notified me when they can do the work.
Sponsored