Dealer Said....."Front License Plates Installed at the Dealership"- True or False?

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yup, comes factory installed. Its like some grumpy old exec at Ford thought "The Mach-E is too perfect, how can we throw a wet blanket on this? I know, we'll install the front license bracket AND take back one of the key fobs!"
Sponsored

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Ford had better better start turning over more stones as they have missed a few and not install the bracket for cars in CA like they have done in the past and leave it in the trunk for the dealer, as we have other other legal options in CA https://licenseplatewrap.com/ that mean we don't have to ruin our front bumpers drilling holes I certainty do not want ford installing a front plate holder that we do not require when using alternatives as that is getting into deal breaker territory.
Agreed, shouldnā€™t be installed in any state that is a one plate state. In my 2 plate state I had no choice but also didnā€™t want it.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Yup, comes factory installed. Its like some grumpy old exec at Ford thought "The Mach-E is too perfect, how can we throw a wet blanket on this? I know, we'll install the front license bracket AND take back one of the key fobs!"
Well if ford supposedly monitor this site hopefully they will realize and see sense that for CA we have a legal alternative without drilling holes. Otherwise I may have to try and get some form written guarantee from my dealer that if there is a plate holder stuck on the front of the GT I get a replacement plate holder free bumper at fords expense.

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
Agreed, shouldnā€™t be installed in any state that is a one plate state. In my 2 plate state I had no choice but also didnā€™t want it.
Too late for me, but IMO Ford has no business enforcing installation of a front plate holder, regardless of state laws. Ford has no skin in the game either way.

If a person in a front-plate state wants to stick it to the bumper with gum, rivet it to the hood, cover up the pony (!), or go without in order to avoid bumper holes, that should be their choice. The owner suffers the consequences, not Ford, and it *certainly* is not a safety issue. The extent of the factory's involvement should be tossing the front plate holder in the back as the car rolls out the door. If the customer wants the plate holder, the dealer can install it for them.

All this is doing is aggravating a subset of customers who just dropped 50 or 60K on one of their vehicles. By most accounts here and in talking with my sales guy, this is an entirely new practice for Ford. It should stop.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Well if ford supposedly monitor this site hopefully they will realize and see sense that for CA we have a legal alternative without drilling holes. Otherwise I may have to try and get some form written guarantee from my dealer that if there is a plate holder stuck on the front of the GT I get a replacement plate holder free bumper at fords expense.
Too late for me, but IMO Ford has no business enforcing installation of a front plate holder, regardless of state laws. Ford has no skin in the game either way.

If a person in a front-plate state wants to stick it to the bumper with gum, rivet it to the hood, cover up the pony (!), or go without in order to avoid bumper holes, that should be their choice. The owner suffers the consequences, not Ford, and it *certainly* is not a safety issue. The extent of the factory's involvement should be tossing the front plate holder in the back as the car rolls out the door. If the customer wants the plate holder, the dealer can install it for them.

All this is doing is aggravating a subset of customers who just dropped 50 or 60K on one of their vehicles. By most accounts here and in talking with my sales guy, this is an entirely new practice for Ford. It should stop.
Prior the the Mach-E, almost all the cars I've purchased had the bracket installed by the dealer. Think that is why it was under the radar and got pass most of us. We all thought it was good enough to just inform the dealer that we didn't want it installed. Who knew it was going to be installed at the factory?!? By the time we had confirmation, it was too late for the early orders to do anything about it. I am curious about how this decision was made on Ford's side. They must know there would be a group of customers who doesn't want a front bracket even in states that requires it. Is there too much near the front that they don't trust the dealers to have the skills to drill holes in the pre-defined dimples? It's not a major deal but I do want to bitch slap the person in Ford that decided on this.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Sounds like it will come in a box and attached by the dealer. Thanks everyone for information. Nice to have a resource like this.
No, for CA it is installed at the factory.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I live in CA. My dealer just got another Mach E in this past hour. My salesperson called to tell me, as with the other 3 they have gotten in, this one also came with the front license plate bracket installed. She said they have never had any vehicle come in with a front bracket already installed expect for the Mach E.
same. Dealer said that Ford told them it was standard for all cars which isnā€™t true. They provided feedback to Ford to stop sending them with the bracket.

Mawby

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1933 Ford Speedstar Roadster, 2021 Mache CA RT1
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Mine was shipped without and then they installed it despite me asking them not to. They said by law they have to in California. No option with a note.

Honestly, any car gotten without ADM it seems we have no say. Can't walk away realistically but they hope and so they toe the legal line. My ICE Mustange had options to remove license plate as it was mounted underneath. Not this MME. I was going to get the license wrap. Shucks.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Mine was shipped without and then they installed it despite me asking them not to. They said by law they have to in California. No option with a note.

Honestly, any car gotten without ADM it seems we have no say. Can't walk away realistically but they hope and so they toe the legal line. My ICE Mustange had options to remove license plate as it was mounted underneath. Not this MME. I was going to get the license wrap. Shucks.
Mine had it installed too. Up until about this Spring, they were being installed at the factory on all Mach-Es.

I would strongly recommend you order the black plates from the DMV (the 1960s legacy plates). It actually looks really good, so much so that I decided not to remove the front license plate holder and put in bumper plugs like I had originally planned - I just put the plate on in the front. It costs $40 per year.

I suppose how good it looks depends on your Mach-Eā€™s color. Black plates go particularly well with Rapid Red, in my opinion.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
My dealer knew that I will be participating in the pilot program for the license plate wrap and did not install the front plate bracket. I did have to sign a waiver regarding that non-installation. Now I just have to wait on my plates to get here. ??

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just got off the phone with my dealership and they told me the front license plate is something they would install. Would the Mach E be any different then any other Ford vehicles in this regard?
Mine came seperate I told my dealer do not install it. In PA we don't have a front license requirement.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Just got off the phone with my dealership and they told me the front license plate is something they would install. Would the Mach E be any different then any other Ford vehicles in this regard?
My dealership asked me if I wanted it installed. It came uninstalled from Ford. No charge for installation.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I have decided to use the factory front bracket now that I have PPF in place. It appears that I need a special tool to put the plastic rivets in?

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
In California, if you donā€™t want it, Iā€™ve seen dealerships make you sign a document that says something along the lines of ā€˜state law requires the front license plate, you told us not to put it on, itā€™s your responsibility to do it yourself, you canā€™t sue usā€™.
They changed the dealership plate laws in CA, I don't believe you can do this anymore. This was prior to the dealerships actually having to print out DMV temp paper plates and placing them on the cars.

• Sad
Reactions: ARK

Mawby

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1933 Ford Speedstar Roadster, 2021 Mache CA RT1
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Mine had it installed too. Up until about this Spring, they were being installed at the factory on all Mach-Es.

I would strongly recommend you order the black plates from the DMV (the 1960s legacy plates). It actually looks really good, so much so that I decided not to remove the front license plate holder and put in bumper plugs like I had originally planned - I just put the plate on in the front. It costs $40 per year.

I suppose how good it looks depends on your Mach-Eā€™s color. Black plates go particularly well with Rapid Red, in my opinion.
Thanks! Star white with black rims and black top.. Black plates sounds good as the decal would have been for a fee too most likely. Not to mention stolen probably.
Sponsored

Reactions: ARK