Franchise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Outlander GT PHEV, 2021 e-tron premium plus
Country flag
There's zero chance of you driving it; you will be in the passenger seat for a ride-along not a test drive.
Right after all. This came today:

This is Xxx from Norm Reeves Ford, I was just informed from Ford Corporation that on Nov.12,2020 they will not allow anyone to test drive the Mach E as planed because of Covid Virus. You will still be able to sit in the vehicle, take pictures, video. There is still going to be a team of Mach E engineers to answer all questions about Mach E.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag

This is Xxx from Norm Reeves Ford, I was just informed from Ford Corporation that on Nov.12,2020 they will not allow anyone to test drive the Mach E as planed because of Covid Virus. You will still be able to sit in the vehicle, take pictures, video. There is still going to be a team of Mach E engineers to answer all questions about Mach E.
I just got off the phone with them and they told me the same thing--due to the coronavirus. If that were true, wouldn't they not be having test drives for *any* vehicles? That said, I'm happy to just sit in the car for now.

Franchise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Outlander GT PHEV, 2021 e-tron premium plus
Country flag
I just got off the phone with them and they told me the same thing--due to the coronavirus. If that were true, wouldn't they not be having test drives for *any* vehicles? That said, I'm happy to just sit in the car for now.
Agree. Seems strange they didn’t figure that out until today.

I sat in one at Ken Grody on 10/25. It was informative, but I don’t need to do it twice - was hoping to drive.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Not to belabor the point, but I think the covid excuse is just face-saving for a misunderstanding by the dealer. I think the real reason is that the car is still owned by Ford (dealer demos are owned by the dealer), and I am going to guess Ford's insurance won't cover letting a non-employee drive an experimental/preproduction car.

As was pointed out, if the reason really was due to covid they wouldn't let you test drive any car. There's also the fact that from a germ standpoint there's little difference between sitting in a stationary car with the windows closed or driving a car with the windows closed

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
No one other than Ford employees are supposed to be driving preproduction models. Far too much liability is involved. Have people managed to snag a drive? Of course not (Wink, wink, nod, nod), too much liability.

Official test drives will commence whenever the dealer near you gets their FCTP vehicle. If they get one.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
No one other than Ford employees are supposed to be driving preproduction models. Far too much liability is involved. Have people managed to snag a drive? Of course not (Wink, wink, nod, nod), too much liability.
Someone beheld the go force of a Mach-E? ?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag

So it is just a roadshow ... too bad I was planning to drive up for a test drive but already sat in these a few times

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag

Official test drives will commence whenever the dealer near you gets their FCTP vehicle. If they get one.
Yup Test drive vehicles are to be arriving late Nov to Dec per my dealer so we are at least a few weeks away at a minimum for a real test drive

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
There are road-show cars and dealer demo cars. I doubt you'd be able to drive a road-show car... those are cars on tour and don't stay with the dealer. The demo cars *do* stay with the dealer and the dealer will eventually be allowed to sell their demo car.

As it was explained to me, the car is allocated to dealer inventory but the dealer doesn't have to pay for the car until the demo period is over (e.g. a few months later) and at that time the dealer pays for the car and can sell it. (But they pay a reduced rate since it'll have miles on it and may have cosmetic issues such as scratches, etc. from use that need to be cleaned up.)

My dealer tells me their demo car is expected in late November ... and this is a demo car (not a road-show car that would only be there for a day.)
Sponsored