John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My BS alarm is going off, maybe yours will too…

Stopped by the dealership today to finalize numbers, since our MME is scheduled for production this week. Main agenda item was to get a trade-in value on my wife’s Escape, since we intend to pay cash plus trade-in for the MME. The trade-in offer was not as high as we hoped (no surprise), and I asked what the actual price of the MME would be.

Short flashback — We bought a 2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost in February from this same dealer, and the sale price was the invoice amount. Our salesman said, “We sell all our vehicles for invoice.” Period. No haggling.

When I asked this same salesman what the invoice price would be for the MME, his response was, “There is no invoice for a MME or a Maverick. Ford tells us we have to sell them for sticker.” I responded that there had to be an invoice, because that is the amount the dealer pays Ford for the car. He repeated the same quote as above, and added, “On most vehicles yes, but these are different for some reason. It’s just the way they’re sold, and that from Ford, not us. My manager doesn’t even know how we’re getting paid from Ford.”

Now, I have seen many posts on this forum describing how dealers are selling MMEs at prices of their choosing, nobody has said anything about Ford setting sale price. This is why the place you buy a car is called a “dealership” The sales guy did say they don’t add ADM to sticker. But then again, he lied to me about selling only for invoice.

Not sure what we are going to do. Right now both of us are about 60% ready to cancel.
Sponsored

KZ6e1e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P4X
Country flag
From everything I understand, for the MME the invoice price is the MSRP. So they aren't really wrong.
That's my understanding as well. It's the documentation fee that is their profit.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
As stated msrp = invoice with the mach-e I assume this was original done as a way to throw the dealers a bone so they would honor the msrp price and not pull the usual dealer bs.

When some of your competitors offer a direct sales approach Ford no doubt knows that consumers can just go else where rather then put up with dealer nonsense.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
From everything I understand, for the MME the invoice price is the MSRP. So they aren't really wrong.
Yup my dealer said the same. Ford is changing up the sales approach and at least on the Mach E my sales guy said the dealer is serving more as a delivery center than a dealership for sales. The MSRP is their invoice, unless one of the Ford pricing plans is involved.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
We intended to do cash plus trade in but the dealers trade in offer was way too low. On top of that we asked for an out the door price but none was given! Ended up selling my Wife’s car for $5k more than the offer and bought car from another dealer for MSRP and No ADM! Their loss on both deals!!

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

Stopped by the dealership today to finalize numbers, since our MME is scheduled for production this week. Main agenda item was to get a trade-in value on my wife’s Escape, since we intend to pay cash plus trade-in for the MME. The trade-in offer was not as high as we hoped (no surprise), and I asked what the actual price of the MME would be.

Short flashback — We bought a 2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost in February from this same dealer, and the sale price was the invoice amount. Our salesman said, “We sell all our vehicles for invoice.” Period. No haggling.

When I asked this same salesman what the invoice price would be for the MME, his response was, “There is no invoice for a MME or a Maverick. Ford tells us we have to sell them for sticker.” I responded that there had to be an invoice, because that is the amount the dealer pays Ford for the car. He repeated the same quote as above, and added, “On most vehicles yes, but these are different for some reason. It’s just the way they’re sold, and that from Ford, not us. My manager doesn’t even know how we’re getting paid from Ford.”

Now, I have seen many posts on this forum describing how dealers are selling MMEs at prices of their choosing, nobody has said anything about Ford setting sale price. This is why the place you buy a car is called a “dealership” The sales guy did say they don’t add ADM to sticker. But then again, he lied to me about selling only for invoice.

Not sure what we are going to do. Right now both of us are about 60% ready to cancel.
The dealer is right about the Mach-E invoice = MSRP. It's called e-invoice. For the Mach-E the e-invoice and MSRP are the same amount, there is no difference between the dealer invoice and MSRP.

Dealers can't advertise the MME for less than MSRP but they can transact at any price they want. Even if they sell the Mustang Mach-E at MSRP there's still money for the dealer baked in (see below).

https://fordauthority.com/2019/12/ford-bans-dealers-from-advertising-mustang-mach-e-under-msrp/

Ford has a program in place to reward dealers for playing by its Mustang Mach-E advertising rules. Ford will use something called “e-Invoice” according to reports that will make the Mach-E invoice and MSRP prices identical. There will be three allowances for the EV, with one being an allowance for every vehicle delivered. The second will reward the dealer for complying with the advertising rules. The last one is meant to be sure the dealer remains properly certified to handle EVs.

Last edited:

nhammerschmidt

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 VW ID.4
Country flag

That is correct, however, you can bet Ford is paying the dealers a commission of some sort. Most likely between 3% and 5% of MSRP.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Dealer is not wrong. The only shot you have at getting a Mach-e below MSRP is to use X-Plan pricing or another Ford Plan. Otherwise most people are happy to buy at MSRP since some dealers do additional markup on them. If you can get one at MSRP its a win.

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
Yup my dealer said the same. Ford is changing up the sales approach and at least on the Mach E my sales guy said the dealer is serving more as a delivery center than a dealership for sales. The MSRP is their invoice, unless one of the Ford pricing plans is involved.
My X plan sales contract is below MSRP, not by much, $800, but also no added BS fees.

OP
OP
Cobra427

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks all who replied. Glad the dealer wasn't lying, but wish they had been more upfront with this, especially since we had just bought our Powerboost from them at invoice.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks all who replied. Glad the dealer wasn't lying, but wish they had been more upfront with this, especially since we had just bought our Powerboost from them at invoice.
It is not the dealer's doing, it is Ford's change in policy for the Mach E. As stated, if they are still willing to sell at MSRP right now then consider it a win

MargaritavilleNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT (Aug build week-Oct delivery)
Country flag
My X plan sales contract is below MSRP, not by much, $800, but also no added BS fees.
You can get X-plan pricing by owning Ford stock, although I've looked at the sign up instructions and it seems to only address employees.

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
You can get X-plan pricing by owning Ford stock, although I've looked at the sign up instructions and it seems to only address employees.
Couple ways to get X plan. Lots of employers that do business with Ford allows employees and retirees X plan (IBM, for instance but others as well) You can also join the Mustang Club, there is a wait time on joining and ordering with the club
Sponsored