Dealer showed up at my door (2 hours away) said they need to take my MachE for recall, or they will "Deactivate It" - WTF

SigSauer

First Name
Mark David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Preiumn in DMG, AWD, ER and 1928 Model A Ford
Occupation
Retired Sales Representative
Country flag
I'd call the police.
Nothing about your story rings true.
If they return, I would take their picture. This sounds to good to be true.
Sponsored

MrFlood

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
The same thing happened to me, this is 100% the dealer covering their behind.

- Dealer Released Car to you with an active recall (Big No-No)
- Weeks later, Dealer tries to flag the car sold to ford... ford System won't allow the deal to be registered as the recall was not cleared
- As of right now, the Dealer is fully liable for the vehicle to ford and if anything happens they are on the hook.

I was able to squeeze my dealer by getting a zero-cost loaner, and winter tires at cost for the inconvenience.

The car does need to be fixed, so there is no point delaying it any more than it has to be.

OP
OP

pbgear

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT
Country flag
The same thing happened to me, but this is 100% the dealer covering their behind.

- Dealer Released Car to you with an active recall (Big No-No)
- Weeks later, Dealer tries to flag the car sold to ford... ford System won't allow the deal to be registered as the recall was not cleared
- As of right now, Dealer is fully liable for the vehicle to ford and if anything happens they are on the hook.
crazy thing is I bought the car over seven months ago

mateo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
$40,000 per day fine is much different than a one time civil penalty of $21,000 per vehicle...

Sounds like they are being over dramatic. I'd like to know where that daily figure comes from, unless it's something different for actively, willfully, and repeatedly ignoring this notice. (In that case, I have no sympathy.) If they have any competence, surely they got a notice that said this thing wasn't done properly and if they didn't rectify it by such and such date then they would get fined $x.

In that more plausible scenario, then the dealer can promptly repeat that message to you. "Hey, we made a mistake and we need to service your car for recall xyz. Please schedule an appointment before date xyz. We can even arrange to pick up your car for you."

Only after you refuse to cooperate in the timely manner would the dealer have to threaten to disable / repossess your car. Otherwise you think nothing of it, they avoid the fine, and you thank them for alerting you of a safety recall.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
$40,000 per day fine is much different than a one time civil penalty of $21,000 per vehicle...

Sounds like they are being over dramatic. I'd like to know where that daily figure comes from, unless it's something different for actively, willfully, and repeatedly ignoring this notice. (In that case, I have no sympathy.) If they have any competence, surely they got a notice that said this thing wasn't done properly and if they didn't rectify it by such and such date then they would get fined $x.

In that more plausible scenario, then the dealer can promptly repeat that message to you. "Hey, we made a mistake and we need to service your car for recall xyz. Please schedule an appointment before date xyz. We can even arrange to pick up your car for you."

Only after you refuse to cooperate in the timely manner would the dealer have to threaten to disable / repossess your car. Otherwise you think nothing of it, they avoid the fine, and you thank them for alerting you of a safety recall.
I dunno, even a one time $21,000 fine would seemingly be more than enough to make a salesman do nothing else but deal with this for the day.

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium AWD, ER,06 Duramax,16 Acadia Denali
Country flag
Keep us posted on the outcome of all of this. Been an entertaining read. It almost pisses me off more they are "threatening" you with deactivation of your vehicle via text vs just being transparent on what needs to happen.

mateo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
I dunno, even a one time $21,000 fine would seemingly be more than enough to make a salesman do nothing else but deal with this for the day.
Right, but at 40,000 per day I'm not going home to print out something to bring back the next day! I'd show up with the fanciest loaner car and a $500 gift card and a pink unicorn the second I heard about it.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
financed thru pentagon federal - never heard a peep from them regarding the title
It probably got lost between all these HIMARS financed for Ukraine 🇺🇦

Jimbo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium 4X
Country flag
The recall was last year. If this is the dealer's first earnest attempt to contact you, that's shocking, and they absolutely deserve that fine

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
As has been said before, please do not let just anyone drive away with your car. Take it in yourself to ensure that it is actually going to the dealer’s service department for repair. 😰🐩
Sponsored