Dealer showed up at my door (2 hours away) said they need to take my MachE for recall, or they will "Deactivate It" - WTF

jbooth

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit, Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I didn't read all seven pages, but would note for the OP there is possible risk next year during tax season. If there's issues with the title not actually being transferred, you claim the old $7500 credit and you get audited, there's some non-zero risk there. Be real sure you own it in the IRS's eyes, however it works out!

If I had to bet, I'd say GM doesn't know and the sales people are trying to fix it before they get found out and then fired.
Sponsored

Last edited:

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
I didn't read all seven pages, but would note for the OP there is possible risk next year during tax season. If there's issues with the title not actually being transferred, you claim the old $7500 credit and you get audited, there's some non-zero risk there. Be real sure you own it in the IRS's eyes, however it works out!

If I had to bet, I'd say GM doesn't know and the sales people are trying to fix it before they get found out and then fired.
It'd be a mess, but probably not an issue in an audit - all the paperwork was signed, the car is licensed and registered and he's making payments, no auditor is going to try to claw back a credit he was entitled to due to an issue outside of his control. But it could definitely add stress and extra headache if there was an audit.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Someone at the dealer messed up big time. They could use other things to convince you to go back, like free accessories for the car. What were they thinking on threatening to disable the car? This is 2022, Do they tough you were not going to discuss that with someone? Either way, I will be prepping popcorn and follow this post to see where this is going... šŸ˜€

UW2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
You're in a great position. You have tremendous leverage over the dealer. How will you use that leverage?

- Free lifetime oil changes?
- A gigawatt of free power?
- Ask them for a half of a single day's fine or you'll keep it another day?
- Free High Voltage Junction box upgrade?

There are a lot things to ask for. Get them to guarantee in writing.
Lifetime oil change and free gas too!

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Free High Voltage Junction box upgrade?
I wouldn't allow this dealership people to touch anything serious in the car. Frankly, I wouldn't use seat belts that they are going to "fix".

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
To threaten a customer is insane. That kind of behavior is beyond unethical. I really hope this dealership goes under.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yes this is exactly where I was going with this. I fully realize that the OP has had the car for 7 months, I was just pointing out that the wheels of commerce turn a lot slower than most people know when it comes to things like financing and titles. So like I said it would be a full 90 days (or more?) before a lending institution even got curious about the title.
New cars donā€™t have titles. The state DMV generates the title, you send in the manufacturers certificate of origin (MCO) and dealer bill of sale to the DMV in your state, which the dealer likely already had.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

See my other comment. New cars donā€™t have titles. There is no issue here. The tax credit is fine. The IRS doesnā€™t give a duck about Fordā€™s stop sale. So long as OP had the MCO and legal bill of sale, they are fine.

H.Bergeron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e, Lightning
Country flag
You're in a great position. You have tremendous leverage over the dealer. How will you use that leverage?

- Free lifetime oil changes?

There are a lot things to ask for. Get them to guarantee in writing.
The dealer would give him a funny look and say, "Sure, we can do that."

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I think this is all over with at this point anyway isn't it?
This is a great example of how social media runs amuck. Answer was simple - contact Ford, see if the car must be recalled (yes), get a loaner, get car back. Done.

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
This is a great example of how social media runs amuck. Answer was simple - contact Ford, see if the car must be recalled (yes), get a loaner, get car back. Done.
Itā€˜s called a conversation. The beauty of a forum I s if itā€™s too much of a conversation for anyone, they can easily move on to another page or topic on the forum. At least this isnā€™t FaceBook. Now that would be down right tragic! šŸ˜£

a dubb

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Itā€˜s called a conversation. The beauty of a forum I s if itā€™s too much of a conversation for anyone, they can easily move on to another page or topic on the forum. At least this isnā€™t FaceBook. Now that would be down right tragic! šŸ˜£
Just saying if this were me ans it was my mache that i just went thru a version of criminal shark tank to attain id be like ā€œhell to the NOā€ I truly donā€™t trust the dealership that was the intermediary to get my vehicle with spraying sunscreen on a turtle..

And truly itā€™s not a dealer thing if I ever had anyone lie, bully and Scam me like they tried to do - Iā€™d be the same way
First thing Monday I am calling to change my dealer association to this car and get another one
The way AutoNation treated me and the multiple lies and deceptions were beyond ..
Iā€™m still trying to understand why they wouldnā€™t let me just have my bank take the deal .. and if not my own bank then Ford Finance .. I have some obscure 5th /3rd bank and i signed some retail installment sales contract vs an auto loan .. does anyone know what or why ?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
PROFIT

EV OLVE

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 Platinum, 2020 Fusion Titanium
Occupation
Live Production
Country flag
I would drive it to a ford dealership and place it in the service dept myself.
Sponsored