Dealer sold my reserved car

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sharing my experience about a local shady dealership (Putnam Ford of San Mateo, CA).

I ordered a Mustang Mach-E online on 8/17/21, placed a $500 deposit, and assigned the car to a local dealership. I was told on 4/26/22 afternoon that the car had arrived. The salesperson and manager told me it would be fine to pick it up on 4/29 afternoon. They said they would NOT honor Ford's price protection policy, despite telling me months earlier that they would try to, so I would need to pay $2000 more than the initial order price from 2021. I asked if I could sign paperwork on 4/29 and take receipt of the car, and the salesperson and manager said that would be fine. Instead, I was sent a contract via email on 4/27 which did not include my initial deposit. They did not provide a corrected contract when asked. I did not sign this. I spoke with the owner on the morning of 4/29 who threatened to cancel my order, but also said he would have his staff look into the situation and reach out to me. When I did not hear back I started calling the dealership to let them know I was coming over, but nobody would pick up the phone. I was finally able to reach someone in the afternoon, when I was told that nobody could handle the paperwork that day, and also the car was no longer on the lot. I was told on 4/30 they had actually sold the car to someone else on 4/29 in the morning.

I know these cars are in high demand but this feels totally crazy to me. They wanted to charge me more than the expected price. They threatened to sell the car if I didn't pick it up ASAP, and ended up selling it before 72 hours had elapsed, without my consent or knowledge. They also ghosted me so that they could sell the car to someone else. The deposit and reservation and order seem totally worthless.

The owner doesn't seem to think he did anything wrong, and he is currently offering to sell me a future vehicle with usual dealer markup (LOL)

I left some bad reviews online, and I opened a complaint with Ford corporate but they said they could take up to 30 days to get a response from the dealer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I am so sorry. I can't stand the two closest dealers to me (your dealer and the one in Redwood City) so I ordered across the Bay. 🤬🐩 One would think that someone at Ford Corporate would be able to at least get you hooked up with a priority order. 🤷‍♂️🐩

I just saw a black select with temporary plates on it this morning. Was that the one you had ordered? 🤷‍♂️🐩

troublebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium EXT AWD, Infinite Blue
Occupation
Industrial Design & Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
Write up everything with as much detail as you can and send it to every EV/Auto website and blog you can, especially the Tesla-stan ones. Blow the story up.

As much as I love my Mach-E and appreciate Ford going all-in on EVs, they need the bad publicity to make them start cleaning up these messes the dealerships are making for them. This is not the first time this has happened and they're not going to start taking serious action until a wider audience becomes aware of this being a possibility on a car someone waited 6-14 months for.

Reading a story like this before I placed my order would have made me completely reconsider my order.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Sharing my experience about a local shady dealership (Putnam Ford of San Mateo, CA).

I ordered a Mustang Mach-E online on 8/17/21, placed a $500 deposit, and assigned the car to a local dealership. I was told on 4/26/22 afternoon that the car had arrived. The salesperson and manager told me it would be fine to pick it up on 4/29 afternoon. They said they would NOT honor Ford's price protection policy, despite telling me months earlier that they would try to, so I would need to pay $2000 more than the initial order price from 2021. I asked if I could sign paperwork on 4/29 and take receipt of the car, and the salesperson and manager said that would be fine. Instead, I was sent a contract via email on 4/27 which did not include my initial deposit. They did not provide a corrected contract when asked. I did not sign this. I spoke with the owner on the morning of 4/29 who threatened to cancel my order, but also said he would have his staff look into the situation and reach out to me. When I did not hear back I started calling the dealership to let them know I was coming over, but nobody would pick up the phone. I was finally able to reach someone in the afternoon, when I was told that nobody could handle the paperwork that day, and also the car was no longer on the lot. I was told on 4/30 they had actually sold the car to someone else on 4/29 in the morning.

I know these cars are in high demand but this feels totally crazy to me. They wanted to charge me more than the expected price. They threatened to sell the car if I didn't pick it up ASAP, and ended up selling it before 72 hours had elapsed, without my consent or knowledge. They also ghosted me so that they could sell the car to someone else. The deposit and reservation and order seem totally worthless.

The owner doesn't seem to think he did anything wrong, and he is currently offering to sell me a future vehicle with usual dealer markup (LOL)

I left some bad reviews online, and I opened a complaint with Ford corporate but they said they could take up to 30 days to get a response from the dealer.
Email the customer experience officers at Ford. Don’t let this slide. Provide copies of all the documents you have and lay out the time as objectively as possible.

You can find those email addresses at:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/ford/

pnrmurph

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mazda CX-5, 2022 Mach-E Premium ER RWD
Country flag
Uh... this should be illegal no? You put the deposit in, you get assigned the VIN. How can a dealer just sell it to someone else without you rescinding the order in writing?
This is one of the flaws of the franchise model. The car isn't technically yours until you complete the purchase with the dealer. The car is "sold" by Ford to the dealer who in turn sells it to you...leading to all kinds of crap they can pull...

Moomin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 civic hybrid - upgrading to MME 4 Premium
Country flag
BBB is worth filing a complaint against dealership. Send all the correspondence there. You could even call local news and have them go talk to the dealer. Publicity like that would bring them to a new low. If you had a VIN and deposit on it, I'd pursue it just to let everyone know the dealers practices.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
This is one of the flaws of the franchise model. The car isn't technically yours until you complete the purchase with the dealer. The car is "sold" by Ford to the dealer who in turn sells it to you...leading to all kinds of crap they can pull...
This is partially correct. Ford sold the car to this dealer for this specific customer, cars are clearly differentiated between dealer lot cars, that they can sell to anyone, and special order cars. They can't just sell special order cars out from under people, especially when you have a deposit down and have been communicating with your dealer. This is straight shady bs to get an ADM.

Phil-Springs

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CA RT1 AWD Extended DMG 2022
Country flag

Pretty sure that if you get a lawyer involved, they broke the contract and probably some laws. Up to you how much of a headache you want to take on. I'd at least contract the BBB or other local government office that handles consumer protection.

Moomin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 civic hybrid - upgrading to MME 4 Premium
Country flag
if you placed an order and left a deposit and received the VIN on the vehicle, if they don't return or acknowledge the deposit that may be theft of services you can hit them with. I hope you have a record of the deposit. You credit card should have it on it or cancelled check etc...I also thought they the "signing" of acceptance by the dealer is the same for everyone when you have to electronically "sign" something? You won't get that car back but can give them a huge headache and make them locate one for you etc....

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
This is why I can’t like the “in Defense of dealerships” post. Sorry, this model sucks.
My post is 100% focused on SERVICE, not sales.