Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select (lease ended) Now 2023 GTPE
Country flag
UPDATE: So the car went in Tuesday and it’s now Wednesday. Still no car. Called and texted Service Advisor with no response. Finally called my salesman and lo and behold I get a text from service that the car is still being worked on at 2:30PM. I look at my FordPass app and see the car has been asleep since I dropped it off the day before. Tell the service advisor and he says “well, yeah it actually hasn‘t even been into the shop yet. I was like, so you straight up lied to me. He says he mistook my car for someone else’s. 10 minutes later he texts me to tell me he miraculously found a loaner for me and I might have my car back before the weekend. Seems although they will give you an appointment that doesn’t mean they are going to get to your car until the one or two mechanics that are trained on the Mach e can get to it. My car is a lease so everyday it sits there is like money thrown away. Oh, they loaned me an MKZ, I wouldn’t buy that car if it was free!

Original Post:
Brought my car to the dealer at 7:15AM for the above TSB and an update of basically everything that needed it. It is now 4:00PM and the dealer just called to tell me that they need to keep the car until tomorrow. My question is, how are these updates ever going to be accomplished OTA since the dealer takes 2 days to install them? Additionally I had a 2019 Edge ST that also promised OTA updates. Not once in the 2.5 years I had it did it update OTA. Thankfully, that vehicle allowed downloads to USB sticks to update the car. Maybe Ford should consider this for the Mach e
Sponsored

Last edited:

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Brought my car to the dealer at 7:15AM for the above TSB and an update of basically everything that needed it. It is now 4:00PM and the dealer just called to tell me that they need to keep the car until tomorrow. My question is, how are these updates ever going to be accomplished OTA since the dealer takes 2 days to install them? Additionally I had a 2019 Edge ST that also promised OTA updates. Not once in the 2.5 years I had it did it update OTA. Thankfully, that vehicle allowed downloads to USB sticks to update the car. Maybe Ford should consider this for the Mach e
OTA updates, and updates through a dealer are done in a completely different way. OTA's are downloaded to the car, and the car flashes it through an ethernet connection.

Dealers hook up and manually flash the modules through USB into the OBD port. This has a very slow transfer speed.

Your Edge ST only allowed Sync OS updates, and that feature was broken and not used as I also had a 2019 Edge ST before my MME. No modules were able to be updated OTA in that vehicle.

OP
OP
Marc S

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OTA updates, and updates through a dealer are done in a completely different way. OTA's are downloaded to the car, and the car flashes it through an ethernet connection.

Dealers hook up and manually flash the modules through USB into the OBD port. This has a very slow transfer speed.

Your Edge ST only allowed Sync OS updates, and that feature was broken and not used as I also had a 2019 Edge ST before my MME. No modules were able to be updated OTA in that vehicle.
I’m actually sorry I brought it in. I don‘t think these technicians are properly trained on these new cars and I’m hoping they just don’t hose it

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD Tech/Comfort
Occupation
Cyber Security, First Responder
Country flag
FWIW I’ve never had an OTA on my mme, but my wife with her 2020 escape titanium did have a sync update over the air last week!

OP
OP
Marc S

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FWIW I’ve never had an OTA on my mme, but my wife with her 2020 escape titanium did have a sync update over the air last week!
Interesting. I thought that no vehicle other than the MME or the pickup would ever see OTA

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Ha! I took my wife’s car in at 8:30 this morning and asked them to perform TSB21-2249. When I called 7 hours later, they “couldn’t find anything throwing a code, so we called Ford and are waiting on a call back.” I asked them if they tried the TSB, read them the description over the phone and got “well we’ll have to look at that. Then at 4:30 they call me and say, “What do you know, your car fits that TSB. But it says it’ll take 2,5 hours and we close in 1.5 hours.” To which I said “No shit. That’s whyI dropped off the car 8 hours ago and asked to to perform THAT TSB.”
So I guess I’ll get the car back tomorrow. Oh… wait… I work a 24 hour shift tomorrow. I guess I’ll get it back Thursday. ?????

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m actually sorry I brought it in. I don‘t think these technicians are properly trained on these new cars and I’m hoping they just don’t hose it
Some of these updates can take 3+ hours to complete. If they are updating all modules that need updates that probably explains why they need more time. Many dealers will only do an update if you are having a specific issue due to the time it takes.

OP
OP
Marc S

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ha! I took my wife’s car in at 8:30 this morning and asked them to perform TSB21-2249. When I called 7 hours later, they “couldn’t find anything throwing a code, so we called Ford and are waiting on a call back.” I asked them if they tried the TSB, read them the description over the phone and got “well we’ll have to look at that. Then at 4:30 they call me and say, “What do you know, your car fits that TSB. But it says it’ll take 2,5 hours and we close in 1.5 hours.” To which I said “No shit. That’s whyI dropped off the car 8 hours ago and asked to to perform THAT TSB.”
So I guess I’ll get the car back tomorrow. Oh… wait… I work a 24 hour shift tomorrow. I guess I’ll get it back Thursday. ?????
Yeah. Proves my point. This is all too new for them and not really what they are trained for.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
Some of these dealers are either treating their customers like sh!t or they are over the top bat-sh!t stoopid. Maybe a little of both.

OP
OP
Marc S

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I actually had to tell them about the TSB. They knew nothing about it

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I actually had to tell them about the TSB. They knew nothing about it
I did to. I have them the number and what it was supposed to fix. They still didn’t even look at the TSB until I told them about it on the phone 7 hours later.

HOFMACHFE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt 2017, Mustang Mach E FE Grabber Blue
Country flag
My dealer did the research before my appointment to make certain they were ready for the Paak update this past July. It took about 65 minutes. Dealer provided great service. I am very happy with them. Leslie Motors in Ontario Canada. They have three locations.

OP
OP
Marc S

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My dealer did the research before my appointment to make certain they were ready for the Paak update this past July. It took about 65 minutes. Dealer provided great service. I am very happy with them. Leslie Motors in Ontario Canada. They have three locations.
Ahh, Canada, of course

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Canadians: Always prepared and courteous. Unlike us stupid Americans.

OP
OP
Marc S

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
See my update in original post