Dealer wanted to charge me $1400 for updates!

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Sheehy Ford, Gaitherburg, MD to be exact. They say because the updates aren't recalls. Does Tesla charge for updates like this? I wish I had know this before I bought the car. I'll likely not get another Ford. Not a good experience at all.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Sheehy Ford, Gaitherburg, MD to be exact. They say because the updates aren't recalls. Does Tesla charge for updates like this? I wish I had know this before I bought the car. I'll likely not get another Ford. Not a good experience at all.
Were they the official updates or individual modules that werenā€™t part of a program?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
What updates in particular? The car is under warranty. Find another dealership. That's unheard of.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Which updates? I don't think there have been any bulletins for dealer updates for the GT except the BlueCruise map update. Tesla doesn't charge for OTA updates, but neither does Ford.

OP
OP

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Were they the official updates or individual modules that werenā€™t part of a program?
They were on the scan done here for me. Normal updates to several modules. Being that they aren't so called "recall" updates, the dealer says $200 per each update to install them. I assume that these updates are there for a reason and not a $1400 luxury only customer item. Even if these aren't critical, I would like to have my $62k car updated? Geeze. By the way, other than extending Blue Cruise expiration date, I have not received even one OTA update since November delivery. The whole thing feels cheap and petty to me. Even though it's the dealer that wanted to charge, I think the real problem is Ford doesn't pay dealers for updates unless part of a recall or similar problem related to a particular issue. And why can't these be sent OTA in the first place? I guess OTA is reserved for tic tac toe only. Sheesh..

Cruise Control Module
Driver Status Monitor
Image Processing
Power Steering
Gear Shift
Off Board Charger Controller
HVAC Control Software

Last edited:

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The price seems a bit high but it does take time and effort to do these updates and the dealer is not compensated unless it is a Ford driven update - kind of like a recall.

ADDZ71

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER AWD (sold) 22 MME GT (Del 5/22)
Occupation
Lithium expert
Country flag
I would tell that Dealer that you will no longer do business with them and will be finding a new dealer with a service department. That is absurd to suggest that they are charging for updates. I would also contact Ford Customer Service.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
They were on the scan done here for me. Normal updates to several modules. Being that they aren't so called "recall" updates, the dealer says $200 per each update to install them.

Cruise Control Module
Driver Status Monitor
Image Processing
Power Steering
Gear Shift
Off Board Charger Controller
HVAC Control Software
Thatā€™s because itā€™s not a part of a recall, nor is it a warranty issue.

If Ford doesnā€™t pay for it, someone has to.

That said, $1400 is unreasonable to just plug your car in and let it sit and update. Maybe an hour or two if labor should be charged at most.

Now if your car has specific bugs that need fixed, thatā€™s a warranty issue. Totally different situation.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I would tell that Dealer that you will no longer do business with them and will be finding a new dealer with a service department. That is absurd to suggest that they are charging for updates. I would also contact Ford Customer Service.
Iā€™m not sure that ā€œthreatā€ will work.

The OP is asking for free service. ā€œIā€™ll take my $0 Iā€™m going to pay you elsewhereā€ doesnā€™t sound too threatening. šŸ¤Ŗ

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag

That said, $1400 is unreasonable to just plug your car in and let it sit and update. Maybe an hour or two if labor should be charged at most.

Now if your car has specific bugs that need fixed, thatā€™s a warranty issue. Totally different situation.
Honestly, for less than that (I believe) you can get your own equipment to do the FDRS update yourself, as well as future updates

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Normal updates to several modules.
This has always been the case with cars. Most legacy cars have module updates available for their entire life that will never get applied unless there's a problem that the update fixes. But now we have OTA functionality, so most of these updates will get pushed eventually. Ford knows that the OTA updates are taking a while, which is why they've been putting out bulletins to pay dealers to perform these updates. But your car doesn't have any such bulletins yet, so your dealer would not get paid for the work.

OP
OP

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Plain and simple, it is an update of bugs and system operations to my car that is being sold like floor mats. I'm not surprised at this policy, although I'm shocked at the cost the dealer is quoting me, but I will take this policy under consideration for all future purchases. There are companies that give you all the updates free, like Volvo for instance. Not sure what Tesla does, but I think most are free OTA. The way I look at it is how would you like it if Apple or Microsoft charged for every point update or bug fix on phones and computers etc? Feels the same here. But I get that they are entitled to operate however they see fit. Likewise, I am entitled to voice my negative opinion and shop elsewhere. I only hope that the trend in the future is not more of this same nickle and dimeing. It doesn't sit well with me, and at some point there will be other options out there that I hope make updates a feature rather than a costly burden.

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

Don't almost all of these updates include bug fixes? Seems whenever I see a summary of one, you get a line that's something to the effect of "various bug fixes." Seems to me if you could find a summary of the updates and a "bug fix" is mentioned anywhere in there, you could claim it as warranty work ..... maybe?
Sponsored