Dealer wanted to charge me $1400 for updates!

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
No one is saying that fixing software bugs should cost you a penny. Everyone agrees that fixing software bugs should (and are) covered under warranty.

What isn’t covered is updates that haven’t been released OTA or haven’t been approved for warranty work (unless your car has a specific issue).

And just today, we found out an excellent reason as to WHY you may not want “updates that aren’t ready yet.”

There is a recall on 464 cars who got updated at the dealer…….. and could have the unintended acceleration issue!

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...software-issue-464-units-affected-189201.html

So what should we do?
1. Wait for OTA updates
2. Go to the dealer for a warranty claim if you have a bug

But updates for the sake of updates? You may end up like the 464 owners above!
That PCM software issue you are referencing was sent out as a service release according to the story.

Mike
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've attached a list of modules shows in highlight the ones that have already been updated at least once by an OTA according to the wiki here. Obviously in some cases a module has been updated more than once with this process. The wiki does list at least one module I can't find in the list attached, that being the 'EVCM' shown in the wiki as having been updated with OTA 2.4.2/2.7.2. If anybody knows an alternative name for that one please chime in.

Anyway it's clear from this list that the focus has been on BlueCruise functionality over anything else.

Mike

Attachments

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
But a big problem with PowerUps is that if you live out in the country you may never get a PowerUp at all. And there's zero proof that they are ever pushed over the owner's wifi. They only seem to be pushed using the TCU while the car is driving around in the 'city' with good coverage.

So if you want updates done that aren't ever going to come to you as an OTA...well you either get the dealership to do it or you do it yourself.

Mike
@Kamuelaflyer lives way outside of any town in the uplands of Hawaii Island at 4400’. He gets OTAs just fine.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Probably has good cell service there as well.
Mike

Scooter72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Looks like I ordered about 6 weeks before you and I've had my MME for about 2 weeks, so you'll get it soon! Mine is Premium AWD but no ER. VERY much worth the wait. Good luck!
I wish that were the case - but I still don’t have a build date scheduled! 😢
Sponsored