Dealer wanted to charge me $1400 for updates!

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Ok that was a bit dramatic, but I still think this is asinine—this is software, software should be updatable in a straightforward way, for free, OTA. How many billion mobile devices are there in the world? This is a solved problem. Also not clear how optional this is—what do these updates do that is so wonderful that it costs $1400 to pop in a thumb drive?
The software is updatable, free, via OTA. The problem here is misconception. The OP is talking about a few hours' worth of the dealer's tech's time to manually upgdate the software. Time isn't free. Ford is not going to pay the dealer for the tech's time if there isn't something specifically broken on the customer's car that a software update specifically fixes, especially if they are going to send that very same update OTA in the future. 🤷‍♂️🐩

You are right. The problem is solved. Ford has OTAs. Nobody can help it if someone does not want to wait for the OTA to be delivered. 🤷‍♂️🐩

As for the last sentence in the quoted post, if something isn't broken that one or more of the updates fixes, there probably isn't anything "so wonderful" about the updates and they certainly aren't worth that kind of money to install unless the customer is seriously impatient and has more money to burn than Elon. There seems to be some misapprehension that any update has got to be something that we have to have right away. For the most part, that just isn't true. Having worked in tech for 4 decades, I can't tell you how many updates I've seen go out that had no functional change, no bug fix, just a minor change to allow for a 3rd or 4th sourced part on the AVL to be used. 🥺🐩
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
It's very simple folks. Ford gives the impression that updates are free.
<SNIP>
The updates *are* free. Customers just need to wait for them to be available OTA. The other options all cost a little to a lot of money: Put together an FDRS rig, or pay a dealer for their time. 🤷‍♂️🐩

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Not clear what point you’re trying to make? I said that all the work was done on a warranty claim. As for not knowing what module I’ve been dealing with this dealership for over 10 years they’re a very good crew, well trained.
OP didn’t have a warranty claim, you did.

That’s why your updates were free and his aren’t.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's very simple folks. Ford gives the impression that updates are free. If dealers have the option to charge for those, then Ford should clearly state that in all their literature and advertisements as part of selling these cars: "Beware that some dealers will charge you for software updates", so you can consult with your dealer before ordering the car from them.
I wonder how many buyers will choose another dealer and maybe another car.
My dealer did not charge me for an update recently, but they did try (unsuccessfully) a $3K markup on delivery.
Where did you get the idea that you could go to the dealer and get your car updated with updates that haven’t been released OTA yet?

When did Ford ever give you that impression?

Choose another car? Why? It’s the same with all manufacturers.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Not clear what point you’re trying to make? I said that all the work was done on a warranty claim. As for not knowing what module I’ve been dealing with this dealership for over 10 years they’re a very good crew, well trained.
In short, you are incorrect in many of your statements.

Eagertrader

First Name
Norberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e GT
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Sorry ro strike a nerve. Didn’t realize that so many people that watch this thread work at/for dealerships!

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They don’t, your simply not understanding that updates for the sake of updates aren’t free.
Exactly. But just to come full circle, it shouldn’t be hard to get the for free.

Just document one of the many regular software bugs the car has, then ask for the latest software to possible fix the software bugs and *Presto* you have yourself a warranty claim.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Exactly. But just to come full circle, it shouldn’t be hard to get the for free.

Just document one of the many regular software bugs the car has, then ask for the latest software to possible fix the software bugs and *Presto* you have yourself a warranty claim.
Agreed, This was mentioned by myself and several others (perhaps you?) very early on in this rather odd thread. Want the latest door module update? Complain about the doors. Wash, rinse, repeat.

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ford is lying about their software rollouts it's clear they say one thing and never deliver anything. Unfortunately the dealers are using some park Quitman in some cases which is causing the updates not to take place like cheap inexpensive USB adapters etc. that cause problems with the updates for this put out a TSB on this. I'm disappointed that the over the air updates have just all but disappeared they've made so many promises they have not been able to do for one reason or another they're software team is a joke literally.

Eagertrader

First Name
Norberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e GT
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
If that is the case, then Ford should not advertise these updates as "features" and instead call therm "options".

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Ford is lying about their software rollouts it's clear they say one thing and never deliver anything. Unfortunately the dealers are using some park Quitman in some cases which is causing the updates not to take place like cheap inexpensive USB adapters etc. that cause problems with the updates for this put out a TSB on this. I'm disappointed that the over the air updates have just all but disappeared they've made so many promises they have not been able to do for one reason or another they're software team is a joke literally.
You’re entitled to your opinion. Even those I support by fact. Forums are filled with people who have complaints, they’re hardly representative of the overall population of Mach-e owners.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Your understanding is inaccurate.

No, dealers aren't using some crappy equipment. My dealer is using the right equipment, and Ford engineers have been on site at times. Yet failures are happening, including many F-150s being updated for BlueCruise. Ford, not the dealers, has some FDRS issues right now.

one5460

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MazdaSpeed 3
Country flag
Agreed, This was mentioned by myself and several others (perhaps you?) very early on in this rather odd thread. Want the latest door module update? Complain about the doors. Wash, rinse, repeat.
So one must lie to the dealer to get updates done for free?
Sponsored