Dealer wanted to charge me $1400 for updates!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Ok that was a bit dramatic, but I still think this is asinine—this is software, software should be updatable in a straightforward way, for free, OTA. How many billion mobile devices are there in the world? This is a solved problem. Also not clear how optional this is—what do these updates do that is so wonderful that it costs $1400 to pop in a thumb drive?
Pop in a thumb drive? Clueless.
Sponsored

snowdoggie

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo, Nissan, Audi 2017 SQ5, MME GT, M3
Occupation
IT Operations Manager
Country flag
Possibly. While I was kidding, guides on this forum have mentioned USB drives being involved in updates: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ach-e-with-fdrs-alternative-to-forscan.10217/
You need to pay a "skilled" worker manual labor costs to restart and go through prompts, it is not a set it and forget it kind of thing. Plus you have to pay for the garage and licensing fees.
This is akin to running an app and finding out your computer has numerous updates, some windows updates, some bios, some gpu, drivers, software and etc... yea sure windows update can do windows but it may not do the others. You can bring your computer into an independent PC Store than can service your windows computer but who will pay for it? Microsoft? The computer store you bought the computer from a year ago?
Yes an IT Tech would spend most of their time watching the system do it's thing and install but they are there when there is an issue. Although uncommon issues do happen all the time, if you are doing it yourself you have a higher risk of bricking your system, who pays for the repair when you overclock and fry your system? or install the wrong update, or you clicked the wrong prompt?
You have to remember those businesses have to pay labor costs and are independent.

Although having the latest and greatest seems like the best there are times when it is not the case. Software and OS for example often time have bugs and it could break/brick your device. There are many times when I or colleagues deployed updates, patches that would seem to have no consequence end up totally Fking things up. Many times I have regretting installing an optional update because it ended up causing problems and especially with live services there may not be an option to rollback.

From 2 or 3 posts here some folks have mentioned the dealer said the update didn't work and they had to apply it numerus times or how it almost bricked their car so I assume the dealer is adding extra buffer time.

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Possibly. While I was kidding, guides on this forum have mentioned USB drives being involved in updates: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ach-e-with-fdrs-alternative-to-forscan.10217/
Well, they insert the drive, probably press some buttons on the screen, and then come back a few hours later to press some more buttons on the screen to complete the update. Some folks here think that justifies charging the customer for hours of work. I'd sure love to paint one of their homes and throw in some extra charges for "paint drying time."

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Ok that was a bit dramatic, but I still think this is asinine—this is software, software should be updatable in a straightforward way, for free, OTA. How many billion mobile devices are there in the world? This is a solved problem. Also not clear how optional this is—what do these updates do that is so wonderful that it costs $1400 to pop in a thumb drive?
Well, OTA, IS free…… you just have to wait for it to be rolled out.

But if you want the dealer to bring in your car and have a service tech work on it ahead of schedule, they will charge you for the labor.

Not sure why some people are getting hung up on the concept that people work for MONEY.

Who pays the service techs? Because if it’s not covered under a warranty issue, someone has to pay them.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, they insert the drive, probably press some buttons on the screen, and then come back a few hours later to press some more buttons on the screen to complete the update. Some folks here think that justifies charging the customer for hours of work. I'd sure love to paint one of their homes and throw in some extra charges for "paint drying time."
But you still charge people for painting the house right?

Why isn’t your labor free?

As far as “paint drying time” goes, that’s an entirely different argument.

You’ve changed from “it should be free,” to “it should cost less than $1400.”

The second part we can agree on.

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Well, OTA, IS free…… you just have to wait for it to be rolled out.
The root issue is Ford has been touting OTA since 2019 for MME and there are a few fanboys here that are trying to justify it still not working for many folks years later. It's a hot mess between release notes, version numbers, failed dealer install attempts, etc. No wonder the dealers are apprehensive to install updates.

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 2WD ER, 2022 MINI Cooper S EV
Occupation
Industrial network architect
Country flag
For what its worth on a rather old thread. At the dealer at this very moment for Blue Cruise install. It is a warranty paid item along with other updates done by the dealer. My dealer has never charged me for a software update. Including on my beloved now gone 2015 EcoBoost Mustang. Whay is the dealer doing the update instead of waiting for OTA. I am impatient and they offered.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For what its worth on a rather old thread. At the dealer at this very moment for Blue Cruise install. It is a warranty paid item along with other updates done by the dealer. My dealer has never charged me for a software update. Including on my beloved now gone 2015 EcoBoost Mustang. Whay is the dealer doing the update instead of waiting for OTA. I am impatient and they offered.
Ask them if they’ll also update the other 5 or so modules that are out there for your car for free and see what they say.

You, and many others, can get the Bluecruise update for free because Ford has approved it. Like you said, it’s a “warranty item.”

The question is for other updates not rolled out yet and getting them early.

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Ask them if they’ll also update the other 5 or so modules that are out there for your car for free and see what they say.

You, and many others, can get the Bluecruise update for free because Ford has approved it. Like you said, it’s a “warranty item.”

The question is for other updates not rolled out yet and getting them early.
The did all the outstanding updates when I had it in not quite 2 weeks ago when the parking system lost its mind. In fact when I first read this and another thread on dealers charging for updates today I went in and spoke to the service writer. When I asked if software updates are chargeable and not warranty covered because they can bve done OTA he did that head tilt like a puppy that heard a new sound, and he said never heard of that. They are covered.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The did all the outstanding updates when I had it in not quite 2 weeks ago when the parking system lost its mind. In fact when I first read this and another thread on dealers charging for updates today I went in and spoke to the service writer. When I asked if software updates are chargeable and not warranty covered because they can bve done OTA he did that head tilt like a puppy that heard a new sound, and he said never heard of that. They are covered.
“when the parking system lost its mind.”

Your car was broken and you took it in for warranty service.

Again, this is not the same situation. Yours would and should be free.

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
“when the parking system lost its mind.”

Your car was broken and you took it in for warranty service.

Again, this is not the same situation. Yours would and should be free.
Not all the updates were part of the fix for that which was broken. And I checked before I left the dealer today. Updates installed by the dealer (OTA and otherwise) are currently billed to Ford under warranty. So if a dealer charges for the update I allege they could be double dipping getting a customer and Ford Warranty payment.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not all the updates were part of the fix for that which was broken. And I checked before I left the dealer today. Updates installed by the dealer (OTA and otherwise) are currently billed to Ford under warranty. So if a dealer charges for the update I allege they could be double dipping getting a customer and Ford Warranty payment.
They put all the updates on the same service ticket and billed Ford for it. It all started with your warranty claim.

Again, yours started with a warranty claim.

Without a warranty claim, they can’t bill Ford.

Your dealer likely didn’t know which module update may fix your problem so could get away with updating them all.

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
They put all the updates on the same service ticket and billed Ford for it. It all started with your warranty claim.

Again, yours started with a warranty claim.

Without a warranty claim, they can’t bill Ford.

Your dealer likely didn’t know which module update may fix your problem so could get away with updating them all.
Not clear what point you’re trying to make? I said that all the work was done on a warranty claim. As for not knowing what module I’ve been dealing with this dealership for over 10 years they’re a very good crew, well trained.

Eagertrader

First Name
Norberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e GT
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
It's very simple folks. Ford gives the impression that updates are free. If dealers have the option to charge for those, then Ford should clearly state that in all their literature and advertisements as part of selling these cars: "Beware that some dealers will charge you for software updates", so you can consult with your dealer before ordering the car from them.
I wonder how many buyers will choose another dealer and maybe another car.
My dealer did not charge me for an update recently, but they did try (unsuccessfully) a $3K markup on delivery.
Sponsored