efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
All American Ford in Hackensack, NJ has two for sale.
Sponsored

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
Lots of dealers are easy (and usually deserving) targets for our collective disgust. I have taken my shots when deserved. However, I am in the minority here who has no issue with a dealer advertising with a markup, provided the original buyer backed out or they somehow got their hands on a dealer order without breaking any rules.

As the old saying goes, the car is worth what someone will pay for it. So long as they didn't screw anyone over to get the car in the first place, good on them if they can make some money on it. I bet most of us have tried to make a buck or two when we have sold stuff.

And the prospective buyer has choices: they can choose to order their own (at msrp) or make an alternate offer. No one is getting shafted, IMO.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I paid X-plan pricing. I think if you order the car you get MSRP. If you buy a car off the lot then the dealer can charge whatever they think someone will pay.

It occurs to me that there are a lot of dealers that mark up the cars ... but don't necessarily get that full markup (e.g. they may ask for $5k markup... and settle for a $2-3k markup).

$7k and $10k markup is just nuts.

Ford has a nice little "Search Inventory" link at the bottom of their Ford.com page. Punch in your zip code and you can see the inventory for cars located at dealers for miles and miles ... or even punch in a distant zip code if you want.

It is generally possible to find cars with no markup at all.

I am not aware of any dealer selling a car below MSRP apart from the Ford A/Z/X plan discounts.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I ain’t paying over msrp. I just wonder is anybody was…

d.
Few people here likely will. I heard one post that they paid a little extra for a cancelation that became available. I think they said the dealer asked $5k ADM but negotiated that down some.

With such a scant supply of in-stock MMEs for immediate purchase relative to demand, it's logical the price would be higher. Just like dealers discount the price on vehicles that are in oversupply vs demand. Works both ways. Being able to walk in and get an MME immediately vs ordering now and waiting for months adds value.

Reactions: ARK

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have said it on another thread. Declined orders will get over MSRP until supply balances out. The FOMO, (Fear of Missing Out) crowd will pay over MSRP. For several dealers declined orders are a marketing opportunity to get additional profit from what could be a relatively low margin product.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I did an interesting exercise. I went to Ford.com and followed the steps to order a Mach-E. Of course, you have to choose a dealer to begin. I chose my dealer (I have my current order through) and configured my car. There is a line in the pricing summary called "Difference from MSRP". That line was zero.
I started over and chose a different dealer (same area, 15 miles away), configured the same car, and that line had $2000 on it!

My take is that the Ford online pricing configurator is taking ADM into account (supporting it).
You're right... geez. At least the website is showing this up-front now, though.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Dealer wants $7k over 1613187928751

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You're right... geez. At least the website is showing this up-front now, though.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Dealer wants $7k over 1613187928751
Are you referring to the dealer selling price? It has been there since day 1. That's how I knew the closest dealership wasn't right for me.

Mgayle83

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The dealer I bought my 2020 GT350R from has a Mach E they want to sell me. They want $7K over sticker. What are people paying for these Mach Es?

Thanks,
New Guy
Most are paying Msrp, mine got one and is trying to sell it with a 5k add on however they said they would waive it for me since I ordered one. If they won’t remove it don’t buy it.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Are you referring to the dealer selling price? It has been there since day 1. That's how I knew the closest dealership wasn't right for me.
Never saw that before -- probably because mine didn't have any markup.

Reactions: ARK

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
$59,400 First Edition with A-Plan, brings my MSRP to $57,447.50. After my deposit and incentives (not including Ford options incentive of $1000), $56,347.50 (pre-tax).

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I think most people are used to getting some kind of discount when they buy a new car. Thus, I suspect that some dealers may be using the ADM as a starting point and will likely sell it at MSRP if you bargain hard enough.

Just my random thoughts.........

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think most people are used to getting some kind of discount when they buy a new car. Thus, I suspect that some dealers may be using the ADM as a starting point and will likely sell it at MSRP if you bargain hard enough.

Just my random thoughts.........
Yep. If it's acceptable for a dealer to sell a car below MSRP, then it's also acceptable for them to sell a car above MSRP. Basic market dynamics driven by supply and demand.

Similarly, customers have every right to say no and try another dealer, or order one at MSRP and wait months for it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
For a dealer to say from the start they will charge ADM on a special order is bad form but legal.
For a dealer to say at the start they'll be no ADM, then try to charge it on arrival should be illegal.
For a dealer to charge ADM on an order that is refused by the customer is market dynamics.

With these cars being in such short supply and high demand, I'm not surprised to see ADMs being added to cars when buyers back out. In fact, I've thought all along that would be the case throughout 2021. I've honestly been more surprised to hear about a number of First Editions, especially Grabber Blue, being sold without ADM.

jdk22

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, First Edition rapid red
Occupation
retired (it's great)
Country flag
To be fair, those paying MSRP or using A, X, Z Plan had ordered their car and Ford prohibited dealers from charging over MSRP.

Anecdotally, from what people have posted here of dealers looking for a new buyer once the original customer backed out, those vehicles are a different story. At the present time, it seems for such vehicles most dealers are charging above MSRP.

The high water mark seems to be $10,000, many around $5,000, and some lower, but very few if any selling for MSRP at the present if it is NOT a customer order Mach-E.
I just picked mine up Saturday. I found a rapid red first edition near Atlanta and the dealer was asking MSRP, about three weeks ago. I gave them a deposit then, and picked it up Saturday and drove it home. In my checking with dealerships within about 400 miles of home, I found others available but I wanted grabber blue or rapid red.
Sponsored