Dealer wants $7k over

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I did an interesting exercise. I went to Ford.com and followed the steps to order a Mach-E. Of course, you have to choose a dealer to begin. I chose my dealer (I have my current order through) and configured my car. There is a line in the pricing summary called "Difference from MSRP". That line was zero.
I started over and chose a different dealer (same area, 15 miles away), configured the same car, and that line had $2000 on it!

My take is that the Ford online pricing configurator is taking ADM into account (supporting it).
Yes. I observed same thing. The order tool does allow dealer markup. Now THAT I don’t approve of!
Sponsored

Daraiders76

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium, 2008 Acura MDX, 2002 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
They've dropped that GB price $4K lol, it was $74,900 earlier in the week. I have no problem waiting for my order.
They might get a person that doesn’t use the interwebs but most car buyers nowadays educate themselves online prior to stepping foot in a dealership. I can imagine someone like my dad that doesn’t email or text getting hoodwinked. This is pretty sad. Are they in demand? Yeah but not to the point where the demand is so great that this is justified. Someone will get taken for a ride for sure.

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
The dealer I bought my 2020 GT350R from has a Mach E they want to sell me. They want $7K over sticker. What are people paying for these Mach Es?

Thanks,
New Guy
Wow thats terrible. Order it and wait it out. Paying under MSRP...

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
The dealer I bought my 2020 GT350R from has a Mach E they want to sell me. They want $7K over sticker. What are people paying for these Mach Es?

Thanks,
New Guy
I paid no markup. Got my First Edition at A-Plan price. Probably similar situation to yours where someone backed out of an order and I stumbled upon it. Tell them to pound sand if they want to sell at a markup

jdk22

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, First Edition rapid red
Occupation
retired (it's great)
Country flag

Thanks,
New Guy
After I test drove one about three weeks ago, I started calling dealerships that showed what I wanted in inventory. I found one that was available (apparently someone canceled their order). They were asking MSRP, which is the most I would pay, and I pick it up tomorrow. It's a rapid red first edition.

lweisenthal

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
weisenthalcancer.com
Vehicles
MME Premium; RWD; std range; Chevy Volt 2.0
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
One dealership nearby has a few but they are asking +$9900 above MSRP. No thank you. I'll wait 2 more weeks.

And these, +$$$$$

1613157920043.png
That's the dealer from which I ordered mine, on Jan 2, 2021. It took them almost a week to get back with me, after Ford sent them my online order. Salesperson who called was most unenthusiastic. After a time on the phone, sounded super grudging when he said he'd accept the MSRP offer. I've purchased/leased close to ten Fords, and I'd been pre-approved by Ford Credit for up to $166,000. But I still only got MSRP with gritted teeth.

Huntington Beach is a coastal Southern California city, Newport Beach adjacent, and there has been a whole lot of buzz, obviously, since I placed my order. I'm sure that they'll sell those cars over MSRP. Lots of folks in this part of the world willing to pay $10K over MSRP for instant gratification. I don't think they deserve to be "shamed." There are lots of house for sale deals that end up selling for way over initial asking price, when demand is present. MSRP is just that. "Suggested" price. Car purchases are notoriously negotiable.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARK

FUNgineer

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2018 F150 Lariat FX4, 2021 X5 45e
Occupation
Nerd, Dungeon Master
Country flag

Thanks,
New Guy
X-plan pricing, so slightly under msrp. The Ford Store Morgan Hill.

OP
OP

ddivinia

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GT350R 2019 ZR1
Country flag
I did not order it. Somebody else did and I guess they got sideways on the ADM. So, the car is available now.

D.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
It's obviously up to you, but if a dealer asked me for ADM in any amount, I'd tell him to go pound sand. Eventually, production will ramp up and there will be plenty available. You could probably order one now and get it in a few months. Ask yourself, is that time really worth $7K.

Also for those extra clams, you could order MME GT and get in about 6 months.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
So clever dealers did manage to get MachEs before online customers, hold them for inflated prices, as suspected. Take the money and run.
Might be acts of desperation. I think the dealerships see the writing on the wall and are unable to create a plan to maintain their very high profit margins. Remember, they have been operating the old way for a long time.
We have watched in awe for many decades as they ran roughshod over the suckers (aka. "customers") making tons of money.
This is the reason most of us purchased online. The dealership experience, for the most part, for most of us, has been much too unpleasant and costly. The future does not include the current dealership model.
I do not think any of us begrudged them making a profit (after all, who among us did not have a mate or two whose father or uncle was a car dealer), but they pushed it too far.

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
So clever dealers did manage to get MachEs before online customers, hold them for inflated prices, as suspected. Take the money and run.
Might be acts of desperation. I think the dealerships see the writing on the wall and are unable to create a plan to maintain their very high profit margins. Remember, they have been operating the old way for a long time.
We have watched in awe for many decades as they ran roughshod over the suckers (aka. "customers") making tons of money.
This is the reason most of us purchased online. The dealership experience, for the most part, for most of us, has been much too unpleasant and costly. The future does not include the current dealership model.
I do not think any of us begrudged them making a profit (after all, who among us did not have a mate or two whose father or uncle was a car dealer), but they pushed it too far.
Not all are charging ADM, just some. Savvy buyers like us know not to pay a markup and most are not even used to paying MSRP. MSRP for a Ford buyer was a starting point where the game is to get it as low as you can before walking out the door. Of course using the X-PLAN or similar is the easiest way to get a good deal provided it's not already marked down below the X-plan.

I also understand if one is well off then the markup could be peanuts, dealer has many buyers in this category. I assume if we are here on the Forum in a thread asking about pricing we are looking for a good deal and count our savings.

Bottom line I suggest not paying a markup, there will be plenty to go around, not everyone is jumping to get a MACH-E. Tesla community still has a lock in this area until more of these are on the road, turning heads and making inroads. I purchased it because I wanted something that is not as common as a stop sign and was cool looking. It has personality, looks and a name.

Hope to see some pictures of what you get :)

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP

ddivinia

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GT350R 2019 ZR1
Country flag
I ain’t paying over msrp. I just wonder is anybody was…

d.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Wow!