First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Am I being too anal?

After some issues not related to my vehicle, I was finally able to pick up my Mach-E from the dealership today. The thing is that when I first saw my Mach-E last month, there was a total of 6 miles, but this morning before I took it home the odometer had 18 miles. They told me that they were moving it between lots and I shouldn't worry, but that really irked me. Were they test driving my Mach-E while I was gone? The saleswoman told me people were offering to buy my vehicle off the lot, and I don't blame them, but c'mon...

Am I being anal over ~10 extra miles?
Sponsored

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
You absolutely have every right to be annoyed by this.
However, you already mentioned it because the saleswoman gave a reason, so that already counts as complaining in my opinion.
How much harm did this actually cause you, and what is your expectation for the outcome of complaining further? Is it worth the ill will it might cause with the dealer?
I'm a fighter when it comes to standing up for what is right, but I have also learned to pick my battles wisely. So unless there was some damage to the vehicle, I would let this one go because I don't see how you gain from it.
My advice is to just go enjoy your brand new ride and save your outrage for the PaaK and other software issues you are likely to encounter... LOL

MG101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about it. It's like the people who say "this car has never seen snow/rain" Meanwhile it came off the carrier covered in road salt or sat on the lot through monsoon season. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
They just took it to a brothel or two, a few bars, and Mary Jane dispensary. I am sure they sprayed some cheap cologne in it after.…..lol. I would not worry. Mine had 18 miles on it too.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I only took a short test drive in a demo vehicle, and I put 20 miles on it. There’s no way they were letting people demo your vehicle. They would have so much legal trouble if Kevin wrecked your personal car, that they gave him to test. What was the vehicle in for? It’s possible they needed to drive it to see the issue?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I don't like miles on my ICE cars because the vehicle needs to be broken in, and stomping on it is not on the list of break-in procedures. But in a test drive, people often stomp on it.

When I buy a dealer swap, I ask that the dealer assign a driver that knows how to drive during break-in, i.e. vary speed, etc. Our Fusion Energi came from a dealer 350 miles away. My F-150 was 150.

This vehicle has no break-in, so I didn't care that it had 36 or so miles on it. I did ask that it not be driven while we drove the demo car overnight.

Don't sweat it.

circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
I don't like miles on my ICE cars because the vehicle needs to be broken in, and stomping on it is not on the list of break-in procedures. But in a test drive, people often stomp on it.

When I buy a dealer swap, I ask that the dealer assign a driver that knows how to drive during break-in, i.e. vary speed, etc. Our Fusion Energi came from a dealer 350 miles away. My F-150 was 150.

This vehicle has no break-in, so I didn't care that it had 36 or so miles on it. I did ask that it not be driven while we drove the demo car overnight.

Don't sweat it.

Side question. Is 'break in' still needed on an ICE? I often see conflicting information on this topic...

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Side question. Is 'break in' still needed on an ICE? I often see conflicting information on this topic...
No break in needed that’s outside of not slamming on the breaks. No oil to seal the rings etc.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
To confirm, your answer is in relation to an ICE, and not the Mach-E, correct?
Ops opposite effect on my brain, while today’s ICE need little break in it’s still recommended to take things easy when new. Breaks are the same thing etc.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Technically, the Mach-E manual says this about break in:

BREAKING-IN

You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 mi (480 km). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I don't know what breaks are...

Yes, an ICE needs break-in. In addition to the tires (which all new vehicle manuals state), usually in the first 1,000 miles they want you to vary RPMs and not push things too much.

From the 2020 F-150 manual:

Avoid driving too fast during the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine. Do not tow during the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km).

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I actually told the folks at the dealership to make sure they take my car out and experience what it is like to drive these things. Have as much fun as they can because once I get there I am going to arrange payment and speed off. They shouldn't plan on seeing me again for quite a while. :)

In reality, I was back there in 3 days to order a new windshield due to a stone from the road. They only put 34 or 36 miles on the car from what I remember.
Sponsored