Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Cars aren't cell phones. Cell phones represented a dramatic new functional capability that didn't exist before. BEVs don't. It the same basic functionality (a car) to the consumer than they had with an ICE car. Functionally it's actually a step back in some ways, with less range and sloooow refueling times, less flexibility and more compromise.

Problems that PHEVs solve.

Again, the real hingepin is batteries. If they see dramatic breakthroughts in energy density and charging speed that can translate to mass production at cheaper prices, then yes, BEVs have a much higher ceiling. Currently they have a lower ceiling. It all comes down to if/when the battery breakthroughs happen.
Major improvements in charging speed and ready access to charging will do as much as increasing battery size. Simply putting L3 EA stations at Ford Dealerships would go a long way.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ah, you mean their flagship model names. OK, fair enough.

But the point still stands -- BEVs are still a tiny% of their business for the near future. I get that people wish Ford would give them a whole network of fast chargers to charge at. But that doesn't mean it makes business sense for them to do it.

But you don't have to take my word for it. We can just see what Ford does. They're the 100yo successful company.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Major improvements in charging speed and ready access to charging will do as much as increasing battery size. Simply putting L3 EA stations at Ford Dealerships would go a long way.
That's why I included "charging speed" in there. Meaning better battery packs that don't take 45 minutes to get from 10-80%. That's a major drawback for road trip charging no matter how many chargers there are.

That's why we talk so much about charge curves. And why we covet 800V speeds and the e-tron curve and all that stuff. Because charge times matter. A lot.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And they knew what made good business sense to keep them in business for a century, yes. Just like Ford.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Wow. Just... wow. That couldn't be more wrong IMO, but before this gets any worse I'll just leave it there. I'll let this decade prove whether you or I (along with most of the experts) are correct.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Toyota will disagree with your words. The upfront costs for current BEV are a major hinderance for many consumers. BEV are evolutionary for the auto business as it will take years -words from GM CEO- for the ICE to disappear.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'm not sure I've seen this doc before. Thanks for sharing! There's also useful information in the FAQ link:

• Confirms that the wall charger is made by Webasto ("Webasto DX 48/240V")
Actually, I'm not sure that's right. The document reads:
  • Recommended Ford Branded Chargers include:
    o Ford Smart Wall Charger 48A/240V (available fall 2020)
    o FordWallCharger(WebastoDX32A/240V)
    o Ford Charging Station Kiosk (powered by Webasto DX 48/240V); manufactured and
    assembled by AGI

It looks like the one you cite is an existing charger. The new Ford Connected Charging Station that won't be available until this Fall seems to be the one listed above that.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Actually, I'm not sure that's right. The document reads:
  • Recommended Ford Branded Chargers include:
    o Ford Smart Wall Charger 48A/240V (available fall 2020)
    o FordWallCharger(WebastoDX32A/240V)
    o Ford Charging Station Kiosk (powered by Webasto DX 48/240V); manufactured and
    assembled by AGI

It looks like the one you cite is an existing charger. The new Ford Connected Charging Station that won't be available until this Fall seems to be the one listed above that.
Check the next page or so... Where it covers service department requirements iirc.

Edit/Update: ok, I can't find it now. Maybe I was thinking the kiosk pedestal one that integrated in a Webasto DX/48 is the same smart charger 48A referenced in the first bullet. But it might not be the same.

Last edited:

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I still have doubts whether the BEV version of the F-150 will be a big seller in rural areas. I'm guessing that will remain mostly the ICE (and PHEV) versions. Suburbs will probably be the main customer base for the BEV version.
As someone who grew up in a rural area and have been on many a ranch....I think the EV F-150 will sell very poorly in rural areas and will be gangbusters everywhere else. They have to prove themselves as work vehicle, not just cruising around cities.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Things are different out here for sure. A DCFC out here is 50 kW. Nothing anywhere in the state is higher. The Chevy Dealer is in fact 25 kW. $20 flat-fee if you didn't buy your EV from the dealer. About 1/2 mile away is a Greenlots "DCFC" of 50Kw. Those were put in by the Hawaiian Electric Light Co. 51¢ per KWh off-peak (9 to 5 pm out here). Unless you're doing a lot of touring of the island, you'll virtually always be charging at home.
I don't really expect dealers to install something bigger then 25 kW anyway, cost would be too high and electricity supply for a 50 kW charger might be an issue. On Plugshare I have never, up to now, seen a charger at a dealership more then 25 kW.

Last edited: