Advertisement

Dealership installation of L3 (fast DC) and L2 chargers-

Mach-MI

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I don't really expect dealers to install something bigger then 25 kW anyway, cost would be too high and electricity supply for a 50 kW charger might be an issue. On Plugshare I have never, up to now, seen a charger at a dealer more then 25 kW.
Exactly. I don't think anyone's asking for 6x 350 kW in Billy Bob's Ford parking lot. But a 25 kW CCS charger in a 24/7 accessible parking spot is a ~$15k investment, tops. That's less than $75 million to give one to every Ford dealer in North America. That is rounding error to the billions of dollars of capital expenditures Ford does every single year.

JamieGeek

Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Bolt EV, Thor Axis, former C-Max Energi, former Focus Electric
Country flag
Exactly. I don't think anyone's asking for 6x 350 kW in Billy Bob's Ford parking lot. But a 25 kW CCS charger in a 24/7 accessible parking spot is a ~$15k investment, tops. That's less than $75 million to give one to every Ford dealer in North America. That is rounding error to the billions of dollars of capital expenditures Ford does every single year.
Ford doesn't give anything to any dealer: Everything is sold to the dealer. Even the diagnostic tools the dealers use to fix the cars are sold to them.

Note the document linked above listing chargers and associated costs.

Mach-MI

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Ford doesn't give anything to any dealer: Everything is sold to the dealer. Even the diagnostic tools the dealers use to fix the cars are sold to them.

Note the document linked above listing chargers and associated costs.
I was specifically suggesting that Ford purchase and install these chargers for public use in partnership with the dealers providing access to the parking space.

I'm aware of how the dealer-OEM relationship currently works, that doesn't mean it's good.

OP

Billyk24

First Name
William
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Just had contact with a certified EV Ford dealership in Northern Wisconsin. They now have two car chargers, one in sales department and one in Service! No outside car chargers which defeats the mandate Ford set for being EV Certified dealer.

OP

Billyk24

First Name
William
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicles
Country flag
Toyota is also an automaker determinedly stuck in the past.
As in announcing a new battery composition for BEV just the other day?

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just had contact with a certified EV Ford dealership in Northern Wisconsin. They now have two car chargers, one in sales department and one in Service! No outside car chargers which defeats the mandate Ford set for being EV Certified dealer.
What does "sales department" translate to for a charger? Seems like that might mean out in the customer area somewhere.

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
The detriment is that the automakers that aren't Tesla have not adequately invested in the charging network in order to make their EVs seem less appealing and sell more ICE vehicles, keeping their EV sales to the bare minimum for regulatory compliance.
That's all so 20th century.

In 21st century, EVgo and EA alone have as much fast DC charging as Tesla in US and Canada. In EU, a lot more fast DC charging from other vendors vs. Tesla.

I've scouted out all the CCS chargers I'll be using with the Mach-E. Enough are in place to make it as easy as driving the Tesla. More are going in every day.

Mach-MI

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
That's all so 20th century.

In 21st century, EVgo and EA alone have as much fast DC charging as Tesla in US and Canada. In EU, a lot more fast DC charging from other vendors vs. Tesla.

I've scouted out all the CCS chargers I'll be using with the Mach-E. Enough are in place to make it as easy as driving the Tesla. More are going in every day.
That's great that CCS works for you, but huge portions of the US have no CCS coverage - and do have Tesla coverage. I'm taking my Tesla across South Dakota next month - how can I do that with CCS?

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's great that CCS works for you, but huge portions of the US have no CCS coverage - and do have Tesla coverage. I'm taking my Tesla across South Dakota next month - how can I do that with CCS?
You don't. You rent an ICE car to go where your BEV can't (or can't very well, anyway).

That's part of why BEVs are only 2% of the new vehicle market in the US. They're great home-base cars, but they can require compromise on long trips. Even if there are chargers on the route you wanna take, refueling is very slow.

Bottom line -- BEVs aren't ideal for every possible situation (no vehicle is). But there's enough situations where they are a good fit to create a market for them. Whether there's "fast" chargers across I-90 or not. (Which there eventually will be, BTW. Even Tesla didn't put them in immediately.)

Mach-MI

Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
You don't. You rent an ICE car to go where your BEV can't (or can't very well, anyway).

That's part of why BEVs are only 2% of the new vehicle market in the US. They're great home-base cars, but they can require compromise on long trips. Even if there are chargers on the route you wanna take, refueling is very slow.

Bottom line -- BEVs aren't ideal for every possible situation (no vehicle is). But there's enough situations where they are a good fit to create a market for them. Whether there's "fast" chargers across I-90 or not. (Which there eventually will be, BTW. Even Tesla didn't put them in immediately.)
That's such a terrible defeatist suggestion - just leave your $55k car at home and rent some crappy fossil car. Never going to happen.

It doesn't matter whether Tesla built their I-90 stations first or last, it matters they exist NOW, and CCS chargers don't. Ford isn't launching the Mach-E in 2026, they're launching it NOW as well - and demanding a higher price for it than a Model Y that can cross South Dakota today.

If Ford wanted me to rent a car for road trips, why did they even put in DC Fast Charging on the Mach-E?

Sweetwater

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
"Adding chargers" includes those costs. 600A transformer, service, six Chargepoint chargers aout $70k total.
It can not be done at that price. If you can do this @ $70K you
should contract all Ford dealers and make money $$$$.

dbsb3233

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicles
2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's such a terrible defeatist suggestion - just leave your $55k car at home and rent some crappy fossil car. Never going to happen.

It doesn't matter whether Tesla built their I-90 stations first or last, it matters they exist NOW, and CCS chargers don't. Ford isn't launching the Mach-E in 2026, they're launching it NOW as well - and demanding a higher price for it than a Model Y that can cross South Dakota today.

If Ford wanted me to rent a car for road trips, why did they even put in DC Fast Charging on the Mach-E?
Then buy a damn Model Y instead. The rest of us will be happy with our Mach-e's.

You pretend launching the Mach-e now is all big failure if it can't be driven in 100% of all cases and all places. Well guess what?... YOU'RE WRONG. No vehicle can do everything everywhere. Chargers will eventually go in on I-90 too. But we get it, you want your chargers and you want then NOW!!! Well, all the more reason you should move on and forget the Mach-e then.

There's plenty of people that will be happy buying the Mach-e for THEIR situation. That's why there's dozens and dozens of vehicle choices in the marketplace -- to provide something to fit most everyone's needs and tastes. Ford will be more than happy to sell you an Explorer or an Edge instead if the Mach-e doesn't fit for you. (Which is what far more people do, BTW.) Or in your case, just stick with your Tesla. It's clearly all you're going to be happy with anyway.

Last edited:
OP

Billyk24

First Name
William
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicles
Country flag
Supercharger network in 2017 did not have stations in South and North Dakota. The UP of Michigan was suppose to receive a supercharger in 2018 but that still has not been installed at the Meijer location.

Advertisement