JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Plug share is more up-to date especially when listing Ford dealerships with L2 charging.
Oh yeah plugshare gets a lot more useage.. (That ChargeHub has been around 8 years and this is the first I've heard of it--yeah ok I'm no expert but when I picked up the Focus and the Bolt I actively searched for all the different charge station directories.)
Sponsored

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
Exactly. I think anyone expecting US dealerships to provide a whole network of L3 charging stations is engaging in wishful thinking. A few may just to go above and beyond, but there's very little justification for that cost. For the same reason dealerships don't usually act as retail gas stations either.
BEVs are a very tiny share of their sales. Most Ford dealerships won't even sell more than 5 all year.
Well, I live out here in the farmlands of South Dakota and trucks are King here --- I own a Ford F-250 Super Duty myself. I was definitely surprised when I asked my local Ford dealer if I was their only Mach-E reservation and was told they have 14 reservations.

And actually --- Nissan Leaf dealers do have a number of free L3 stations, have used a few myself.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Well, I live out here in the farmlands of South Dakota and trucks are King here --- I own a Ford F-250 Super Duty myself. I was definitely surprised when I asked my local Ford dealer if I was their only Mach-E reservation and was told they have 14 reservations.

And actually --- Nissan Leaf dealers do have a number of free L3 stations, have used a few myself.
Nissan Leaf dealerships in South Dakota that have L3 charging stations? I can't find any on PlugShare.

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
Nissan Leaf dealerships in South Dakota that have L3 charging stations? I can't find any on PlugShare.
Yep, SD Nissan dealers have only L2 --- the Nissan dealer L3 stations I have used are on trips to Minneapolis, MN at Burnsville Nissan on the south side and Eden Prairie Nissan on the west side of Minneapolis.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yep, SD Nissan dealers have only L2 --- the Nissan dealer L3 stations I have used are on trips to Minneapolis, MN at Burnsville Nissan on the south side and Eden Prairie Nissan on the west side of Minneapolis.
And now from left field: do the Nissan dealerships let anyone charge there, or only leafs? If so, what is the cost and do you need an account first?

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
And now from left field: do the Nissan dealerships let anyone charge there, or only leafs? If so, what is the cost and do you need an account first?
Lots of comments on PlugShare for the local Nissan dealer saying they were told Nissans only.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I’ve seen some non-Nissans depending on the setup, of the dealer cares, and if they have time to enforce it.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yeah if the chargers are publicly accessible after hours they are, pretty much, fair game (unless they pay a guard to shoo away the non-dealer OEM cars. Seems like that would be more expensive than paying the electricity bill LOL).

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
How good is the wireless induction charging pad ? Will it work on MME ?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
How good is the wireless induction charging pad ? Will it work on MME ?
MME isn't compatible with wireless EV charging. It should be possible for a 3rd party to rewire the car and add the inductance loop somewhere in the undercarriage, but it wouldn't be supported by Ford nor by most public charging infrastructure. Also, this just isn't a widespread thing yet.

The Mach-E does include a charging pad to allow wireless charge of a compatible phone. This is less efficient than charging with a cable, but it does sound very convenient.

5+ years ago, I had various smart phones, mostly Nokia's, that supported Qi (wireless) charging. They've probably improved the technology by now, but I remember that significant heat was generated while charging, moreso than was normal while charging via a cable.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah if the chargers are publicly accessible after hours they are, pretty much, fair game (unless they pay a guard to shoo away the non-dealer OEM cars. Seems like that would be more expensive than paying the electricity bill LOL).
Or simply cut the power when they close. Either manually or with a timer. That's probably the way I'd do it to keep from giving away electricity for free to anyone that drives up after hours.

I haven't really paid much attention to car lots. Do they normally let anyone drive onto the lot when they're closed, or do they chain off the entrances?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Or simply cut the power when they close. Either manually or with a timer. That's probably the way I'd do it to keep from giving away electricity for free to anyone that drives up after hours.

I haven't really paid much attention to car lots. Do they normally let anyone drive onto the lot when they're closed, or do they chain off the entrances?
As I said above, I was at a Nissan dealer and found out they cut the power to the charger when the shop (not dealership) closes -- even if your are charging!

Some auto dealer lots stay open, some stay closed. YMMV.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Don't forget, it's been done before:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Dealership installation of L3 (fast DC) and L2 chargers- Unknown

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, sure, BEV owners would love it. Just like they'd love an L3 charger on every corner. But is it gonna happen? No, it's just wishful thinking.

Especially for Ford, who's BEV sales (even counting 50k MMEs) are something like 1% of their market share. And will probably stay under 5% for many years.

Ford is in the business of selling and servicing vehicles. Not building refueling stations.
Sponsored