Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The gaps will be filled eventually, as market share of BEVs increases to justify it. So far it's still tiny. Gonna take patience. This is a decades-long paradigm shift, not a weeks-long one. In the mean time, BEVs will be great for many people in the right situations.

Ford's not the one that's going to build an L3 charging network IMO, the charging companies will. Doesn't make sense for Ford to build one, since they're just one of a dozen+ auto manufacturers, and since BEVs are just 1-2% of their sales in the near term. They don't need to build charging stations to sell 50,000 MMEs (the wide-open Dakotas were never going to be a big sales region for BEV market share anyway). There's more than enough demand in other locations, and for more home-based uses.

I have no problem putting "only" 80% of our miles on the MME, and the rest on our Escape. And I think a lot of other buyers come to that same logical conclusion. It doesn't need to do 100% to be very useful and advantageous for many. I wouldn't be buying a BEV if it did (nor would many other people).
I still think you are underestimating the market for F-150e in rural areas. The shift to electrification is coming faster than most people realize. Two episodes of Fully Charged just showed the move in both construction and farm equipment:

Farmtrac Electric Tractor

JCB Mini-Digger
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I still think you are underestimating the market for F-150e in rural areas. The shift to electrification is coming faster than most people realize. Two episodes of Fully Charged just showed the move in both construction and farm equipment:

Farmtrac Electric Tractor

JCB Mini-Digger
Oh Lordy ... do not go showing that to my wife. We need a tractor on the property. No not want .. need.

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag
We are 3 months away from initial deliveries. Does your dealer have charging stations installed for customer use yet? Should we start a list like dealer markup or add a column to that list?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
We are 3 months away from initial deliveries. Does your dealer have charging stations installed for customer use yet? Should we start a list like dealer markup or add a column to that list?
These are already listed on PlugShare, at least in my area... Our dealers have had chargers since well before this vehicle was announced due to selling other plug-in electrics.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mine said they're installing two L2 chargers on the side of the building in Oct. Not sure if they'll be free, powered down at night, etc.

I'd be surprised if many dealerships offer anything higher than L2.

I should also note that this dealership just moved into a new building across the street in January. The old building still has one 32A J1772 active (on Plugshare) since 2014. GM said they'll turn that off when the new ones install next month.

Last edited:

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag
These are already listed on PlugShare, at least in my area... Our dealers have had chargers since well before this vehicle was announced due to selling other plug-in electrics.
Does not appear that any Ford dealerships in Central Florida have chargers indicated on PlugShare.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mine said they're installing in two L2 chargers in the side of the building in Oct. Not sure if they'll be free, powered down at night, etc.

I'd be surprised if many dealerships offer anything higher than L2.
Agree on that quote

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Does not appear that any Ford dealerships in Central Florida have chargers indicated on PlugShare.
Lots of Ford dealers in central Florida. Very disappointing. PlugShare takes community updates so if you happen to find public chargers in your area (e.g. at dealers), you can add them if you want to.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Mine does. It’s in an “auto mall” with 5 chargers. Koons Ford is one of two dealers (also Honda) there that only has L2. Three have DCFC:
Nissan has 50 kW CHAdeMO
Chevy has 25 kW CCS
BMW has 25 kW CCS

D96C68E1-65C0-4243-BB80-9645E89478B5.png

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Here's a dealer in New Jersey excited that they're ready to go with chargers for "MACH-E." That is awesome! This means this guy has heard of the vehicle, knows it's electric, and knows what a charger looks like.

MACH-E Two Charging Stations set up for our customers at Haldeman Ford Of East Windsor NJ One on the show room side and other on Service side
Here's the 7.6kW charger that they installed:

https://www.evchargesolutions.com/PowerCharge-Energy-Platinum-Commercial-EV-Charger-p/e20swp.htm

image_f10d1032-0819-40ea-a5ab-f38e8436895020200916_180012.jpg

image_6cea2155-ec1b-410c-8b8a-53a46b5da1ba20200916_180015.jpg

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
It seems as if the location was put in the rear of the building. Out of sight of the public. No labels or such to help the uneducated. Well something is better than nothing.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It seems as if the location was put in the rear of the building. Out of sight of the public. No labels or such to help the uneducated. Well something is better than nothing.
I think that's where most are gonna go. My dealer said theirs are going in on the side too. Usually a big difference in cost. Most dealerships have an aesthetically designed front, where parking is set back from the building and separated by a sidewalk and maybe some landscaping, probably far from electrical panels. A charger there requires a more expensive free-standing charger that may also mean tearing up sidewalk and/or pavement and/or landscaping.

But a wall-mount to the side of the building can usually be done relatively cheaply.

A good comparison is thinking about our own homes. We know what it costs to buy and install an L2 charger on the wall (~$1500). Now think about the extra costs involved to buy and install a free-standing one out to the street, running under your driveway/sidewalk/lawn.
Sponsored