Ginger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
buying Mach E, own 2012 Lexus hybrid
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Country flag
I placed my order on May 7th, so I don't expect to even get a build date until sometime in Feb-March... So, went on CarTrader and found an infinite blue Premium, I want Space White with the space grey seats, but the blue looks cool too. I called the dealer, she said the car has been their demo, and once it hits 4K miles they plan to sell it. She started listing all these things the dealer had added to the car: Star Guard. Clear Shield, Express Codes (even she couldn't explain wth that is...) final total she said with $53,500 MSRP is $56,700. The worse part is she didn't blink about selling a "used car" for MSRP. If she'd said $54,000, I would have driven over first thing in the morning and bought it. Come one, does those additions really cost over 3K? Then the kicker was, I asked her if it was extended range, she said yes, I go look at the site and it is standard range. They are selling a USED standard range premium for over $56K? Am I the only one that thinks that is bat shit crazy?
Sponsored

SEMacheE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford Super Duty, 2021 Premium Mach-E x4
Occupation
Military
Country flag
Nope, you're not the only one. I received an offer through a dealership (MSRP) using VyStart credit unions car buying service on a Mach E I found on a lot. Turns out it was a demo car. No problem though, it will be sold as new and only has 500 miles on it. I'll wait till June 13th. Then greed kicks in and I get told a few days ago all Mach-E's are being sold for $5,000 over MSRP, including the demo. I told them pound sand and that I will never buy this car or any car from them. I ordered a Premium AWD ext range back in March so I'll wait and pay MSRP. Dealerships are not helping their cause. It won't be long and car buying will all be online just like Tesla.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
A dealer can ask whatever they want, it's up to the consumer to balk at it. Some dealers have been known to even take the tax credit, leaving it not available to claim.

Agreed, remove the dealer and make them a service center only for EV's.

Not going to happen, there will be little change, so order and wait if one doesn't want to pay MSRP for a MME with 4000 miles already on it.

Right now deals are far and few on new cars, so it's not like they are just targeting the MME.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
My Wife and I are currently using a demo MME that has about 2200 miles on it. Our local dealer plans to sell it next week for MSRP! I expect to see a lot of Demo’s for sale soon!

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
My Wife and I are currently using a demo MME that has about 2200 miles on it. Our local dealer plans to sell it next week for MSRP! I expect to see a lot of Demo’s for sale soon!
Congrats!

Not all dealers are bad, but back in the day those would sell below MSRP which is not going to happen anytime soon. Im guessing if dealers can continue to order demos they will since they know they can get MSRP for it.

MME hits 4K, sell - repeat cycle etc.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Congrats!

Not all dealers are bad, but back in the day those would sell below MSRP which is not going to happen anytime soon. Im guessing if dealers can continue to order demos they will since they know they can get MSRP for it.

MME hits 4K, sell - repeat cycle etc.
We are not buying it even though we have put about 1500 miles on !! Wife wants a new car with no miles on it! She has decided to wait until her order comes in!

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Demo cars are not legally used cars when they’re sold by the dealer. They’ve not been registered in the state the dealer us located in and the new car warranty is adjusted to reflect actual mileage of the car so that you get a full warranty period. There’s nothing unusual about that.

Whether you, or anyone else, is willing to pay what they’re asking is another story, but they will sell the car for their asking price or very close too it. The MME is a hot commodity atm.

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
All used car prices are pretty jacked up too so that doesn’t help.

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Dealerships are not helping their cause. It won't be long and car buying will all be online just like Tesla.
The only thing salesmen are good for these days is accompanying you on the test drive. Maybe I'm in the minority of Americans with this, but I hit a lot knowing exactly what I want and knowing everything about the car, including how much I will pay before I walk. I obsessively research for weeks. I've yet to meet a salesman in the past 15 years who knew more about the car I was buying than I did, and that was doubly-so for the Mach-E. The woman who went on my test drive got in it and was oohing and ahhing about it the whole time. Nice woman (who took a very personal phone call during, but ok ...), but she was dead weight.

I hate that people would be out of work, but progress has unfortunately done that to a lot of folks.

dw0095

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
A dealer can ask whatever they want, it's up to the consumer to balk at it. Some dealers have been known to even take the tax credit, leaving it not available to claim.
How would the dealer take the tax credit? I assume you are referring to when people Lease?
I understand it that the tax credit goes to whomever the title is made out to.

The only other thing I can think of is they raise the price up $7500 so the buyer is net zero on the credit.

Cptmorgemaker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Edge St, 2021 Lincoln Aviator BL GT
Occupation
Electrical
Country flag
Unfortunately for us our “ Demo Party “ will be coming to an end soon, but it was nice while it lasted!!! Lol
How are you getting into demo this car so long and put so many miles on it when they're selling like hotcakes?what's the point of these dealers even demoing them out? local dealers around me will not demo any of these cars they did the first one and it sold after 400 miles on it. I guess I also matters the region? Around me they don't need to demo I guess people are just buying it even with dealer Mark ups for 5k plus