Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium RWD Ext. Range - Infinite Blue
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
I-77 needs some EV love. For such a major interstate (and a toll road), the charging network is non-existent. I know you love your fossil fuels. But stubbornness will only isolate you.

I am trying to route plan a trip to North Carolina and it is making me a bit nervous with a razor thin margin for error while traveling through pretty significant mountain elevation changes. There is 1 DC fast charger between my home near Columbus, OH and Winston Salem, NC and it's in Wytheville, VA. I'd have maybe 20 miles of range left once I arrive. Not sure I am rolling those dice.

The only chargers in WV along I-77 are at car dealerships. Anyone try to charge at a non-Ford dealership before while on a road trip? Was it free or where you able to pay at the EVSE station?
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It is very unfortunately that WV chose to use their VW diesel gate settlement for things other than DCFC on their interstates. They installed a few L2s in universities and used the money elsewhere.

I have crossed brand lines for charging. Some dealers are OK if one of their customers isn't waiting. Others will chase you off. I've never seen one that charges.

I encourage you to get on the Electrify America website and ask them when they plan to install chargers in WV. They need to hear the request from more people.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
It is very unfortunately that WV chose to use their VW diesel gate settlement for things other than DCFC on their interstates. They installed a few L2s in universities and used the money elsewhere.

I have crossed brand lines for charging. Some dealers are OK if one of their customers isn't waiting. Others will chase you off. I've never seen one that charges.

I encourage you to get on the Electrify America website and ask them when they plan to install chargers in WV. They need to hear the request from more people.
Somehow, the folks in charge of ignoring things in West Virginia got this silly notion that BEV's always charge on "clean" generated electricity, like hydroelectric or something. If someone were to tell them that the charging stations run off of "clean coal" powered powerplants, they might suddenly embrace DCFC.

No, I'm serious.

Sort of.

OP
OP
Grux40

Grux40

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Somehow, the folks in charge of ignoring things in West Virginia got this silly notion that BEV's always charge on "clean" generated electricity, like hydroelectric or something. If someone were to tell them that the charging stations run off of "clean coal" powered powerplants, they might suddenly embrace DCFC.

No, I'm serious.

Sort of.
Excellent point.

OP
OP
Grux40

Grux40

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Done! Good call out for sure.

OP
OP
Grux40

Grux40

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
US 33. I live in Pickerington, OH. Going out I-70 to Cambridge is an option but I am not sure I gain anything by charging in Cambridge.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
US 33. I live in Pickerington, OH. Going out I-70 to Cambridge is an option but I am not sure I gain anything by charging in Cambridge.
Have you tried plotting out different routes in ABRP?

OP
OP
Grux40

Grux40

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Have you tried plotting out different routes in ABRP?
Yes. None are really reasonable. They add far too much time. To the point that we would take my wife's ICE car instead.

OP
OP
Grux40

Grux40

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
That's not bad at all and would be the one alternate route that seems reasonable to me if we decide to take the MME.

OP
OP
Grux40

Grux40

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Done! Good call out for sure.
Electrify America already called me back and said they are passing the suggestion along. Impressed by the quick response. I wish she had said that there are already plans in the works for charging stations along I-77 (or anywhere in the state of WV) but big kudos for the responsiveness.
Sponsored