fallguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender, 1968 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Federal
Country flag
We're going to Wrightsville Beach, NC next month. Nervous about driving the Mach-E there. There are three Electrify American stations on the way, it's about 460 miles there. I'll have to stop once on the way.

However, there are not any near the beach from a search. There are several Level 2, free too. But don't really want to hang out for several hours while it charges away from the beach. None are close to our beach house.

The house has washer/dryer, but on 3rd level. Looked at 240v extension cords, are these safe? If I could charge there, it would solve all issues. Our gas vehicle doesn't get great mileage. Although we drive mostly city so average mpg would go up.

I realize this is old hat for some, but it's our first electric. Big part of me just wants to take our gas vehicle, has more room and a more comfortable ride. Stop, pee, get a drink, back on road in 10 mins. Taking a 4 year old, so don't really want to hang out for hours while charging.

Pics of range, pretty similar. Gas vehicle has a 24 gallon tank too... I have never charged anywhere but home. The free 500 of charging is enticing too.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Debating gas or electric on our first vacation since buying my Mach-E Screenshot_20210313-154147_FordPass
Ford Mustang Mach-E Debating gas or electric on our first vacation since buying my Mach-E Screenshot_20210311-183758_Remote

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
If you have an exterior 120v plug you can charge on L1 overnight. It won't fill the battery but it will give you enough to bit the nearest fast charger in the area. I assume once you reach your beach property you will only be driving a few miles per day for errands and such?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

Trede

First Name
Trede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I went from Seattle, WA to Sandpoint, ID and back in a Chevy Bolt. Trust me, in the Mach-E you'll be fine (there's a 50kw charger ~40 miles from your destination, 150kw++ within about 80) :)

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
It's really about your comfort level. Having had BEVs for years, I'd likely to with the MME if feeling adventuresome. But if you're new to BEVs then no harm in taking the ICE. Could be a bad experience, which would be a big downside, and saving a few dollars on gas -- if indeed you will --doesn't seem like a big upside. You'll have more chances to do this trip when you have a better idea of the issues. Worse thing would be to have a bad experience.

In a sense the fact you're asking the question likely gives you the answer.

Have a nice vacation regardless of how you get there!

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I would always vote take the EV.

It looks like there are DCFCs on the way to/from, which can eliminate the need to have charging at the destination itself, depending on how much driving you plan to do while you're there.

Plus, a 120V wall outlet at the beach house itself can take care of charging needs as well, just remember to bring the cord with you.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'd definitely take the Mach E. I'm in Marco Island, FL. Came here from MD in our Mach E. See
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/my-travels-with-marlin-gb-fe-delivered.3298/

There are no public L2 chargers at all here on Marco. The nearest public charger is an EA station 20 miles away. We're in a 7th floor condo, so no option to run an extension cord. I drive to Naples and charge up every few days when we are going somewhere off-island.

Do you have a 120v in the Beach House near where the car will be parked? L1 charging is 4 days to a full charge but can be plenty if you're just driving short distances.

Your charging stops will take about 40 minutes. Combine it with a meal and you won't notice much time difference. I'd recommend charging after a couple of hundred miles, you'll only want to charge to 80% at that one. Then charge to 80% at the DCFC nearest Wrightsville Beach. After you're at your destination, either use L1 or there are lots of L2 chargers in Wilmington and even Ceviche's near Wrightsville, Beach (Tesla). Buy a TeslaTap so you can use those too. Do you have access to a bike? Drive to that nearby L2 early morning and bike back to the beach house. Bike back to get the car later.

OP
OP

fallguy

First Name
fallguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender, 1968 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Federal
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. I am leaning towards the Mach-E. Don't plan to do any heavy driving when there, everything is within 10 miles that we want to do. I can bring my supplied Ford Charger, there should be a 120v in the garage. The pic of the house shows a 2 car garage, and then two levels above it. With the dryer on the top, was really hoping it would be on the bottom in the garage. But being right on the beach I'm sure its a flood issue.

We do have access to a bike, the house supplies bikes, beach chairs and other commonly used items. I think we will be fine after getting there. I have tried to do some research on my own watching videos, looking for chargers, etc. We'll be bringing some groceries so stopping at a Super Walmart wouldn't be the worst thing. Charge and shop. I will use those links and look further into it.

Before we go I will try to public charge once just to get a warm fuzzy about it. SO the first time isn't pulling in somewhere and there be some issue. Nervous but excited about it at the same time. Thanks again!

JBB_JD

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME FE, 22 Escape Hy, 20 Fusion Hy, 20 Escape
Country flag
We are debating the same here just north of Atlanta. I am dying to road trip to Savannah or to visit family in Florida. We also have a new hybrid and older ICE SUV. I think the key is planning before the trip and not getting there on empty. I am scoping out both DC and AC chargers along the way. Keep an eye out for camp grounds with plugs for charging too. Let us know how it goes. IMO, don't try an extension cord at all, much less from 3rd floor.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I would do it. Just know it will be a learning opportunity and allow for extra time.
I have a 120 to 240 combiner box for traveling to places that don’t have 240. It will allow you to charge with 240 volts but at 12 amps.
120*12amps= 3 miles of charge/hr.
240*12amps= 7 miles of charge/hr.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I think the key is planning before the trip and not getting there on empty.
My two cents - I agree with JBB_JD. I think this it is best to arrive with the maximum charge possible. Use A Better Route Planner (ABRP) and stop at the last fast charger on your route, even if you have enough charge to make it to the beach house. Charge up to 80% and then use L1 charging at the house whenever the car is parked there. That means stopping twice on the trip, but I personally think it is worth it. ABRP will really help you plan it out, and if you arrive with more than 50% charge, you won't have range anxiety.

When you are ready to leave, you will probably have enough charge to make it back to that charger so you can get back to 80% for the drive to the next charger. Just plan on two stops on the way home and you can skip the last stop if your mi/kWh indicates you will make it home. Otherwise, you already planned to stop. ABRP will tell you exactly how much to fill up to make it home. ABRP will aim to get you home with 10% charge remaining. It is a great tool.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would do it. Just know it will be a learning opportunity and allow for extra time.
I have a 120 to 240 combiner box for traveling to places that don’t have 240. It will allow you to charge with 240 volts but at 12 amps.
120*12amps= 3 miles of charge/hr.
240*12amps= 7 miles of charge/hr.
I am afraid it will not work like that. P = IV (power = current * voltage). The 120V circuit can supply 1440 Watts of power. Converting 120V to 240V will not change the amount of power the 120V circuit can provide.

If you convert 120V to 240V, your converted current will be 1440/240 = 4.75 Amps. If you try to draw 12 Amps at 240V, your 120V circuit will need to provide 240 * 12 = 2880 Watts. The current needed to provide that power at 120V is 2880/120 = 24 Amps. You will blow the breaker if it is a 15 or 20 Amp breaker, which is typical.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I am afraid it will not work like that. P = IV (power = current * voltage). The 120V circuit can supply 1440 Watts of power. Converting 120V to 240V will not change the amount of power the 120V circuit can provide.

If you convert 120V to 240V, your converted current will be 1440/240 = 4.75 Amps. If you try to draw 12 Amps at 240V, your 120V circuit will need to provide 240 * 12 = 2880 Watts. The current needed to provide that power at 120V is 2880/120 = 24 Amps. You will blow the breaker if it is a 15 or 20 Amp breaker, which is typical.
I do this all the time with My Bolt and Mercedes BEVs. See my previous post:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...w-o-a-nema-14-50-from-a-120-volt-outlet.3598/

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do this all the time with My Bolt and Mercedes BEVs. See my previous post:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...w-o-a-nema-14-50-from-a-120-volt-outlet.3598/
I read your referenced post and now I understand. You are creating a 240V source from two different 120V circuits, and the 120V circuits will be limited by two 15 Amp (or 20 Amp) breakers. I thought you were taking one 120V circuit and converting it to 240V, which you can do with a transformer, but your current will be limited to what the single 120V circuit can provide. Thanks for clarifying.

Have you found it a challenge to find two outlets close enough that are on different circuits? Don't you also have to ensure they are on a different phase as well, or will two different 120V circuits that are on the same phase still work with your method?

Regardless, it is a great idea and I am glad you shared it. It will be on my list of things to get when I finally take delivery of my first BEV!

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I read your referenced post and now I understand. You are creating a 240V source from two different 120V circuits, and the 120V circuits will be limited by two 15 Amp (or 20 Amp) breakers. I thought you were taking one 120V circuit and converting it to 240V, which you can do with a transformer, but your current will be limited to what the single 120V circuit can provide. Thanks for clarifying.

Have you found it a challenge to find two outlets close enough that are on different circuits? Don't you also have to ensure they are on a different phase as well, or will two different 120V circuits that are on the same phase still work with your method?

Regardless, it is a great idea and I am glad you shared it. It will be on my list of things to get when I finally take delivery of my first BEV!
They have to be from different phases.
My garage has a separate 240 panel so I could use two in there if the car fits.
Currently I am use one on the side of the house and one on the side of the garage.
Sponsored