Decision between MME GT PE & Competitors; is 5 sec. perf. limit the deciding factor?

Panzer948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT PE, 2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 BMW M4, CJ5
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
I am seriously in the market to finally replace our 11 year old Chevy Volt with a full EV, that also has good performance. I love cars and own quite a variety, including a 2015 BMW M4. Thus, I would love to have an EV capable of transporting my small family on trips that also gives some "fun" when needed. I am all set to put the money down on the top of the line Mustang Mach E GT Performance Edition, especially since the overall acceleration is similar to my M4. However, this 5 second performance limit has me hesitating, thus I am actively looking at competitors. The BMW I4 M50 is a serious contender for me since it is in the same ballpark cost wise with similar performance, but without this 5 second penalty.

I am new to the Mustang ME forum world (but not Ford as I do have a Bronco finally) so am hoping others on here may have some speculation on this... Since I believe this can be changed through software, what is the chance Ford will see this as a bad marketing move, etc. and later reverse or change this performance limit; or atleast find another way to protect the battery that isn't so limiting.
Sponsored

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
5 second limit is not a marketing ploy -- it's part of what Ford decided to do to manage the thermals in a vehicle that shares its battery pack with models that draw much less power at load. It's not going away unless you redesign the battery pack.

I love cars too and I will say the GTPE isn't an M4, but even with the 5-second limit it's really plenty fun. Far more practical too. The GTPE will really fall off after 80mph on the highway in acceleration. It also is heavy, and while it has lots of grip from the weight balance, you can definitely feel the weight on twisties. Not the same in terms of engine sounds and drama/driver engagement, but you can say the same for probably every EV today, save perhaps the Nevera or a Taycan Turbo S.

But really, it is a pretty great vehicle, especially if you are getting one that has the redesigned junction box so you don't have to worry about the drama from that.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Honestly, I can't recommend a FORD product currently given how FORD and dealers have been treating their early adopters. I just can't trust FORD to do the right thing at this time. Even though you're getting a GTPE with the fix, who knows if it will hold up. And if it doesn't or if a new problem arises, will FORD step up to the plate and fix it right or just slap a band aid on it.

I do like my GTPE, but I'm limited on what I can do because I don't know when it's going to brick on me. Hence defeating the purpose of getting the GTPE. My normal commute consist on long stretch of freeway driving where speeds are normally 80+. Next time when I floor to pass, will my car brick? Only time will tell.

Especially with the price increase in 23, I would seriously look at another brand.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
i4 M50 is the same weight as the GTPE and has arguably better performance and charging speed with similar range. The BMW doesn’t get the $7500 incentive and the MME has more practical functionality.

The 5 second rule is basically a non-factor in having fun off the line or getting up to freeway speed on the interstate on-ramp. Where the GT/PE is a bit lackluster is acceleration when already at higher speeds. If you’re cruising at 75mph and need to get to 110mph, it’ll take longer than you think (allegedly).

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Man I can't read the rants with FORD without it being yelled in my head, it's not an acronym, I don't get it.

Anyway, either vehicle should be great, and I don't know that the GTPE 5 second will be that big of a factor if you are driving appropriately for public roads. The vehicle will be well beyond 60 by 5 seconds, so if you are taking it to autocross or drag racing, yeah I would put that at the top of the list. But if I were just daily driving it with the occasional burst to freeway speed on the on ramp, you will likely rarely run into it.

If the MME has some utility to it the BMW doesn't that makes your day-to-day life better, like rear leg room or luggage space or whatever (I don't know the BMW specs that well), I would stick to the MME. But if you are actually planning to take the vehicle to the track or whatever, then maybe good to look at something else until they improve the heat management on the battery/motor that leads to the 5 second limit. I really don't think the 5 second is needed for the MME, at least it should be 10. But I imagine like the first model year battery capacity, Ford is just trying to be really conservative so they aren't looking at a bunch of future warranty claims if they have 100k MMEs needing new batteries inside the 8yr/100k battery/motor warranty period.

I suspect the battery is more than capable of higher levels of performance driving, but 8 years and 100k miles is a loooot of time. I can understand Ford being a little wary of how much they let them be stressed until they get more comfortable with it all.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
It really depends on your definition of “fun” and where you have it. For the most part, my ‘21 GT-PE is fun to drive. Am I mad that Ford hid the 5-second limit? Heck yes. 🤔🐩

The car is fun to throw around freeway loops and really piss off people on mountain roads. It’s super-comfy to commute in. I had zero problems on my trip up the coast to get my new dog (OK, I had one issue - fear of destroying the summer tires when the weather turned cold and it was snowing). It was roomy enough for two people’s luggage, a dog crate, toys, and various other junk. 😊🐩

Of course, everyone is different. My idea of comfy may be different from yours. Your idea of fun might be over 80 (luckily for me I own a vehicle that is super-capable well beyond there). In the end, it’s your money and you are making the decision based on what fits your life better. 😎🐩

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Are you going to track your family car or drive at illegal speeds? If not, you're probably not going to notice.

Objectively, the BMW is still a compromise platform with a big transmission tunnel. Subjectively, I think all the new BMWs are ugly as sin.

Petey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 GT-Line, 2022 Premium AWD ER (I hope!)
Country flag
Ev6 gt if you really want a performance ev? If you can go with >4.5 second 0-60 then a bunch of good options start showing up.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I am seriously in the market to finally replace our 11 year old Chevy Volt with a full EV, that also has good performance. I love cars and own quite a variety, including a 2015 BMW M4. Thus, I would love to have an EV capable of transporting my small family on trips that also gives some "fun" when needed. I am all set to put the money down on the top of the line Mustang Mach E GT Performance Edition, especially since the overall acceleration is similar to my M4. However, this 5 second performance limit has me hesitating, thus I am actively looking at competitors. The BMW I4 M50 is a serious contender for me since it is in the same ballpark cost wise with similar performance, but without this 5 second penalty.

I am new to the Mustang ME forum world (but not Ford as I do have a Bronco finally) so am hoping others on here may have some speculation on this... Since I believe this can be changed through software, what is the chance Ford will see this as a bad marketing move, etc. and later reverse or change this performance limit; or atleast find another way to protect the battery that isn't so limiting.
Oh and BTW, I've driven the i4 m40, and I was pretty meh on it. The car is an ICE car, so you don't have any of the packaging advantages of an EV. I missed the glass roof, practicality of the GTPE, and at least at the time, the i4 M50 would have been considerably more expensive. I also could not get over how horrible the front looked.

Pros are definitely the interior quality, infotainment and displays were quite good, and BMW dealerships are much more aligned with, ah, how I expect to be treated in a dealership than I have found with Ford. I would expect the m50 to be comparable in handling/performance, although probably faster at the high-end (not really a factor for me).

Those all were not enough to get over the downsides. The nose of the car, for me, made it a complete non-starter. It just looked worse in person than photos honestly.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Honestly, I can't recommend a FORD product currently given how FORD and dealers have been treating their early adopters. I just can't trust FORD to do the right thing at this time. Even though you're getting a GTPE with the fix, who knows if it will hold up. And if it doesn't or if a new problem arises, will FORD step up to the plate and fix it right or just slap a band aid on it.

I do like my GTPE, but I'm limited on what I can do because I don't know when it's going to brick on me. Hence defeating the purpose of getting the GTPE. My normal commute consist on long stretch of freeway driving where speeds are normally 80+. Next time when I floor to pass, will my car brick? Only time will tell.

Especially with the price increase in 23, I would seriously look at another brand.
Gee, sounds like you should sell your GTPE if you hate it so much.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Ev6 gt if you really want a performance ev? If you can go with >4.5 second 0-60 then a bunch of good options start showing up.
Good luck in getting any of the Koreans under $70k these days -- much less the upcoming EV6 GT.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Are you going to track your family car or drive at illegal speeds? If not, you're probably not going to notice.

Objectively, the BMW is still a compromise platform with a big transmission tunnel. Subjectively, I think all the new BMWs are ugly as sin.
Excuse my finger in this photo, but just couldn't see spending that much money and seeing this 🐽

Ford Mustang Mach-E Decision between MME GT PE & Competitors; is 5 sec. perf. limit the deciding factor? IMG_0104

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance and a 2022 MME GTPE, so like you, I enjoy cars that provide for some "spirited" driving.

As others have mentioned, when used as a daily driver, I really don't notice the 5 second limit being much of an issue. I think the overall build quality of the MME is better than the Tesla and I do like Apple Carplay in the MME. However, I think the Tesla provides overall better handling and a sportier drive. Plus, the Tesla tech and Supercharger network are definite pluses. That said, a better comparison would be the Model Y to the MME.

I too was turned off by the looks of the BMW. And some reviewers have expressed disappointment with the handling of the i4 M50. Here is an example:

Kyle Conner with Out of Spec noted that the Tesla Model 3 Performance beat the BMW. I think the quote was that the i4 M50 was "NOT the ultimate driving machine".

Edmunds noted some disappointment with the i4 M50 in handling around curves:

https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/i4/

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Gee, sounds like you should sell your GTPE if you hate it so much.
I don't hate my GTPE. I actually like it quite a bit. I don't like the ticking time bomb of when it will brick on me though. I don't like that I have to baby it in hope that it won't die and leave me stranded.

The GTPE has a lot going for it.

As far as just selling it, and get another car. Well in any other time that would be great, but currently everything has a 6mos+ wait to order or pay 10K ADM fee. neither are good options.

But if I was looking to put in an order now, I would consider other options, not because the GTPE is not a good car, but because of all the other things associated with it especially the unreliable Ford dealership and Ford cooperate.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
Thus, I would love to have an EV capable of transporting my small family on trips that also gives some "fun" when needed.
Since you're going to use it for trips look at the Kia EV6 GT, Genesis GV60 Performance, or Ioniq 5 N when it comes out. Faster charging and more features than a Mach-E GTPE.
Sponsored