Rawflax

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mach E Extended AWD
Country flag
This is a bit concerning. At about 37:00 he mentions out of hand that the car can "it just veers hard left" when the driving directly into the sun

Surprised that this didn't get more discussion from the reviewer... has anyone experienced this? Sounds like a MAJOR safety issue, and makes me a bit nervous to even enable the system.
Sponsored

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
This is a bit concerning. At about 37:00 he mentions out of hand that the car can "it just veers hard left" when the driving directly into the sun

Surprised that this didn't get more discussion from the reviewer... has anyone experienced this? Sounds like a MAJOR safety issue, and makes me a bit nervous to even enable the system.
If I recall, he's the reviewer that uses the lane keeping assist as hands-free driving. One of his videos I swear he said he had the "Hands Free" system, which it unequivocally does not until the software is purchased when released in the latter half of this year. So I suspect he's just driving with his hands off the wheel.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag

Which is why currently, the car does NOT have hands-free driving.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
Has anyone compared it to a Porsche macan handling wise?
You're joking right. An almost 5000 lb car riding on 225 tires is not going to handle near anywhere as well as a Macan. It is too early to know how it handles with a proper set of tires, because it is doubtful anyone has gotten a new set of wheels/tires yet.

The Macan with PASM and Air Suspension is absolutely sublime in terms of handling (and pretty much everything else)...you will not find too many vehicles that aren't pure sports cars that will hold a candle to it.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

I think this happened when the sun was close to setting and the glare from the sun messed with the cameras/sensors, making it difficult for the car to sense where the lane markings were. This is probably why the safety-minded reviewers are quick to point out that this is not a pure 'autopilot'. In any case, during dawn/dusk, it is probably better for the driver to keep their hands on the wheel, as all drivers are going to deal with sun glare issues, which causes lots of surprises on the highway.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The silver lining on all of Kyle's reviews of the MME is that the vast majority of these issues can be fixed with a few OTAs. Plug and Charge, charging curve, and braking sensitivity, the three primary weaknesses of the MME (from Kyle's perspective), can be resolved with some software enhancements.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
The silver lining on all of Kyle's reviews of the MME is that the vast majority of these issues can be fixed with a few OTAs. Plug and Charge, charging curve, and braking sensitivity, the three primary weaknesses of the MME (from Kyle's perspective), can be resolved with some software enhancements.
I would not buy a car based on hopes these things will be improved. You have no idea how long it will take - especially the Charging which could become a finger pointing between Ford and EA.

I drove it in one pedal mode, and I didn't find the braking to be as bad as Kyle said, it is just different than the Tesla. When braking under normal circumstances you just have to wait a half second or so after lifting off the pedal to step on the brake pedal. Obviously in emergency braking situations this is not practical, but if you are a reasonable driver you are not slamming the brakes on a normal basis.

The fast charging could be a problem for some...If I were interested in road tripping I would look elsewhere. Personally, I am not interested in road tripping with the family in any smaller SUV (EV or Gas) - give me a full size SUV every day for that.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
When it comes to CUVs, isn’t the Mazda CX-5 considered to be one the “sporty” ones?

If it can match the handling of the Mazda, with the instant torque of the Mustang electric drivetrain, it’s all good.
I have a 2019 CX5 and driving the MME for past few weeks, I can tell you that I find the MME to be just as sporty as the CX5 - the MME is heavier and it shows but I enjoy driving it much more than the CX5 and i find them to be similar or MME to be better a bit. 1PD makes the brakes issue a non issue but yeah without 1PD the breaks take some getting used to.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
He was going 70 MPH+. Up a mountain. And had been ragging it fro near 100% SOC to about 60% SOC at that point in the video. Probably not a typical use case?

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I would not buy a car based on hopes these things will be improved. You have no idea how long it will take - especially the Charging which could become a finger pointing between Ford and EA.
I don't think the charging issue will take that long to sort out; this isn't rocket science, and I can't imagine that calibrating the charging curve would be too heavy a lift for Ford. They'll be motivated to address this early, as it's probably going to generate a fair amount of negative press if they have summer MME travelers stuck for hours at charging stations.

That said, I committed to buying this car before the reviews came out. I'm still confident in the purchase (I take delivery of my MME in about two weeks); it's not so much about the 'hope' that these things will be improved. I know they'll be improved. Ford has too much at stake with this vehicle to do anything other than that.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The Tesla fan girl looked like she was in a hostage video and trying to escape the entire time. Every time the guy would try to get her to say something not totally negative about the Mustang Mach E, she’d barely eek out a one-word answer, then look out the window for help ???

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The Tesla fan girl looked like she was in a hostage video and trying to escape the entire time. Every time the guy would try to get her to say something not totally negative about the Mustang Mach E, she’d barely eek out a one-word answer, then look out the window for help ???
Alyssa (sp?) seems very camera shy and doesn't really seem like she's thrilled to be a part of these videos. I think she's a good sport for playing along, as she has to listen to Kyle ramble on about obscure issues she probably doesn't care about :)
Sponsored