JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Not sure why this is complicated. Maybe I don’t know much but a smart car like this should be able to sense a low voltage in the 12v and use the main battery to recharge it. Even when the car is turned off.
May be that sensing system is not working
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This sounds like a great solution for colder climates. Not even owning it for a week and already a dead battery. An AGM may be the answer.
It apparently is an AGM. Even if it wasn't, it is certainly a defect of some kind for it to die in less than a week, don't you think? Obviously either the battery is defective or there is an issue with the charging of the LVB from the HVB.

Not sure why this is complicated. Maybe I don’t know much but a smart car like this should be able to sense a low voltage in the 12v and use the main battery to recharge it. Even when the car is turned off.
The LVB is kept charged when the HVB is engaged/the car is on. When off and not charging, the HVB is typically kept electrically isolated for safety. Regardless, my 6 year old mustang still has the original battery in it, and I haven't driven it more than a short distance 2 or 3 times a month for the last year. The plain old lead acid battery is fine.

As for the MME, unfortunately there is either an unexpected drain, a firmware/hardware issue with the charging components, or the batteries are defective.

Last edited:

Cobra95Kev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Edge
Country flag
Any chance the cars with the 12v battery problems this early were the same cars that sat in KC for a few weeks in the dead of winter?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Any chance the cars with the 12v battery problems this early were the same cars that sat in KC for a few weeks in the dead of winter?
Most cars received are from that time frame. Not sure about those from post Jan 4 builds. Jan 11 week builds are in shipment

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Thank you everyone for the responses and help. I've had this portable jump starter for two years and never used it for my ICE cars. Just had it and charged ready to go. I opened the front bumper panel, connected the reds and blacks, frunk opened. Then the fun part began. Taking off the back panel then windshield washer side panel. What a pain in the ass. Two of the clips are now somewhere under the hood for the back panel.

Jump started a car, my very first time, and she came back to life. HOWEVER, now I have the same powertrain issue Savage has. Made appointment with dealer already online. Thank you again everyone!! Will update when my dealer figures it out.

Screenshot_20210214-165023_FordPass.jpg
Fortunately, after I trickle charged mine back to life I didn't get this warning. In fact, I went for an 80 mile spin with no issues at all except for testing the brakes when a doe jumped in front of my Mach E ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yep. There is a question if the AGM 12v batteries may have suffered during that long period.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yep. There is a question if the AGM 12v batteries may have suffered during that long period.
I bet some statistical analysis is being done to expose that as a possible correlation (not cause, obviously... cause still needs to be addressed and remediated)... Number of days between Produced and Delivered and number of failures reported.

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
wouldn't need the bumper access panel thingy to open the front cargo area to then jump the battery if the mach e had actual door handles (yes beating an old zombie horse) so you can pop the front cargo area hood. Also agree that some better cover is needed for the battery access

ddlt

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NX 300H Rx350 CX5 Mach E reserved Galaxy 500 in a time long ago
Country flag

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Ive said this quite a few times in other threads, and I got kind of blasted for it. I really believe these EV's do not work well with standard Lead Acid batteries. They need to be AGM. All the electronics in these cars drain the batteries and Lead Acid doesnt hold up well with all these electronics. I might be wrong but I am saying this from personal experience. There no starter, no alternator so the CCA avalable with Lead Acid is not important. What is, is the ability to hold a charge and handle parasitic discharge. AGM batteries do that best.
Tesla had the ssme issues as well and its the reason they switched out all the lead acid and want to convert to Lithium. If there is one thing that I will do if I get the car before this is resolved is ask the dealer to switch to an AGM.
For those who have the car at the dealer checking this issue, Id suggest you do the same.
The part number is "BHAGM-H3-", so it is presumably an AGM battery.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
You would be surprised how fast a battery discharges in cold weather. I have a 1500w+ RMS sound system in my car with an alarm system and after 3 weeks of not driving it has a hard time starting. The KC delay could be the reason but it should have been okay when the dealer charged the cars unless the batteries are "broken" which happens when theyre completely flat. Charging wont fix the battery, the battery needs to be changed.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
The part number is "BHAGM-H3-", so it is presumably an AGM battery.
Could be a hybrid AGM but cant say for sure, no info online accept 2 yr warranty which is weird since most AGM have a 5yr warranty
Sponsored