Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Some info on how the power is split between the front and rear motors on the Mach-E GT (currently).

Via Autoblog: As you may have seen, the Mach-E is available with either rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive. This is achieved in much the same manner as other companies, with the rear-drive model having a single motor, and all-wheel-drive versions getting two. Ford has two types of electric motors for these purposes. Every model gets the same fairly large motor for the rear wheels, and in the rear drive version, it produces 306 pound-feet of torque and between 255 and 282 horsepower, depending on trim and battery size. On most all-wheel-drive models, it's paired with a smaller motor for the front. The GT models, though, get the same rear motor placed up front for maximum power. Tesla has done similar things with its various cars.

Having two sets of motors means it's easy for the amount of power at each end to be adjusted for different driving conditions. We were curious what the default settings were, and an engineer told us that it doesn't have a conventional torque split like internal-combustion cars since either electric motor can be operated independently. You could hypothetically have both motors running as maximum power, sort of a 100/100 front and rear rather than a 50/50 or 40/60. And it can never be 0/100 or 100/0. The engineer did say that the default settings are roughly analogous to a 30/70 front/rear split at the moment, so it does have more of a rear-drive feel. That's just the current settings, though, as he said they're doing more testing this winter, and things could change before cars head to dealers.

One final note: All the electric motors are paired to single-speed transmissions. They aren't equipped with any kind of torque vectoring or limited-slip differential, either. The Ford engineer said that any kind of lateral torque adjustment would come from the stability and traction control systems applying brakes as needed.
Sponsored

Shihear

First Name
Shihear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT350
Country flag
Good info. But why can't it ever be split 0/100? And 30/70 is default split for the GT but will the split be variably adjusted on the fly depending on traction requirements?

Smurfunit

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz Tallboy
Country flag
Hopefully we will have some driver selectable modes for “sport” and winter driving.

Golfer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, i3
Country flag
Good info. But why can't it ever be split 0/100? And 30/70 is default split for the GT but will the split be variably adjusted on the fly depending on traction requirements?
Hopefully we will have some driver selectable modes for “sport” and winter driving.
Another question is if the 3 different driving modes (Whisper, Engage, Unbridled) change up the power split ratio between front and rear motors.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Falcon
Country flag
Since the rear, larger motor will be fitted to the front end of the GT, and since it can produce up to 282hp, I wonder how long it'll take before they up the total power to beyond 560hp.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Since the rear, larger motor will be fitted to the front end of the GT, and since it can produce up to 282hp, I wonder how long it'll take before they up the total power to beyond 560hp.
Wouldn't want to upset coupe mustang owners. If it gets above GT350 power, they'll start to be upset lol. I would gladly take some OTA updates for more power though. Or like Tesla has and a "Ludicrous mode" where it warns you of extra battery drain in exchange for more power.

I did have a thought though, I wonder if Ford didn't demo the GT because it isn't finalized as far as performance (mainly because it won't be out until Spring 2021). Also, that the Grabber Blue GT they brought out was really just a GT "shell" and the components are more premium level, than GT spec. I would've loved for them to have a GT for even a special press event just so we could get some press about the highest performance.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Wouldn't want to upset coupe mustang owners. If it gets above GT350 power, they'll start to be upset lol.
This is my main concern with the mustang name being used. As much as I like the style of the mustang fastback apart from a go around a track in a 350R there hasn't been a mustang I have driven that I would call a well balanced performance machine. The v8 sounds lovely and the exterior looks nice but I have no interest in owning one.

It already felt to me like my focus RS was hobbled due to not wanting to step on the toes of the mustang GT, despite the fact people would rarely be cross shopping, most of the those interested in a performance hot hatch have little interest in a 2 door coupe.

There is still plenty of time to finalize the GT but I do hope that the performance handling benchmarks are not based around the needs of appeasing the vocal minority of mustang faithful the sort which complained endlessly about the new s550 finally entering the later half the 20th century and getting IRS :(.

Seeing as ford have decided to market it as an suv it should be targeting the stelvio quadrifoglio and the new macan turbo as the benchmarks IMO, then Let the OTA updates offer 'mustang faithful modes' for those that like there performance old school keeps both camps happy then, however seeing as people are already setting up petitions against the use of the mustang name maybe not :(.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is my main concern with the mustang name being used. As much as I like the style of the mustang fastback apart from a go around a track in a 350R there hasn't been a mustang I have driven that I would call a well balanced performance machine. The v8 sounds lovely and the exterior looks nice but I have no interest in owning one.

It already felt to me like my focus RS was hobbled due to not wanting to step on the toes of the mustang GT, despite the fact people would rarely be cross shopping, most of the those interested in a performance hot hatch have little interest in a 2 door coupe.

There is still plenty of time to finalize the GT but I do hope that the performance handling benchmarks are not based around the needs of appeasing the vocal minority of mustang faithful the sort which complained endlessly about the new s550 finally entering the later half the 20th century and getting IRS :(.

Seeing as ford have decided to market it as an suv it should be targeting the stelvio quadrifoglio and the new macan turbo as the benchmarks IMO, then Let the OTA updates offer 'mustang faithful modes' for those that like there performance old school keeps both camps happy then, however seeing as people are already setting up petitions against the use of the mustang name maybe not :(.
I agree. I love the 350R because it's a road race machine. The GT500 I just see as a drag race monster. Which is cool...but it's not balanced. It's a straight line, corvette competitor. I'd love to see the Mach E have a Rally car-esque performance setup with some nice body roll control, as well as other handling goodies. I know it's not a track car, but some elements to make it a fun handling car (more than I'm sure it already is).

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I agree. I love the 350R because it's a road race machine. The GT500 I just see as a drag race monster. Which is cool...but it's not balanced. It's a straight line, corvette competitor. I'd love to see the Mach E have a Rally car-esque performance setup with some nice body roll control, as well as other handling goodies. I know it's not a track car, but some elements to make it a fun handling car (more than I'm sure it already is).
Oh yes, sign me up for a mach-e RS please

Tony Alonso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Country flag
The GT500 I just see as a drag race monster. Which is cool...but it's not balanced. It's a straight line, corvette competitor.
Have you not reviewed the GT500 road course impression, particularly of the track pack optioned ones? I think it's more than drag race focused.

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Have you not reviewed the GT500 road course impression, particularly of the track pack optioned ones? I think it's more than drag race focused.
I've read it. That particular pack is good. Just as a standard spec GT500, it's not much of a road race car.

Tony Alonso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt, 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Country flag
The base in this generation is more so than prior GT500s, depending on your benchmark. Clearly, there's a lot of mass to manage in front.

Obviously that is different than this EV platform where the f/r split is 50-50. It will be interesting to see how the road race use case will be handled in a more track-focused Mach-E.
Sponsored