Defective Hubbell 14-50 ??

4TangledKites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Acura RDX
Country flag
After reading all the posts warning against the Leviton outlet, I decided to switch mine out of the Hubbell. Unfortunately, when I plug in my Grizzle-E I get a “lost ground” fault. The Ford mobile charger also faults out.

Obviously, the Leviton worked, so it’s not a wire or breaker issue. When I checked the Hubbell with my multimeter, I get just as expected:
- 240v from red/black hot
- 120v from either hot to nuetral
- 120v from either hot to ground

I actually think the ground receptacle of the outlet is messed up. Visually, it just looks too big, like the prong won’t contact it.

Anyone heard of this issue before?
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Well those readings are normal. When you plug in the EVSE, can you get it to work by pushing on the side of the plug or twisting it while plugged in? If so then you have a connection issue.

It's certainly possible you got a bad receptacle or have a loose ground wire on the back.

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Turn off the power to the 14-50 at the circuit breaker and make sure the wire holders in the 14-50 are torqued properly. The wire holders can loose torque as the wire ends settle into their final position.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
After reading all the posts warning against the Leviton outlet, I decided to switch mine out of the Hubbell. Unfortunately, when I plug in my Grizzle-E I get a “lost ground” fault. The Ford mobile charger also faults out.

Obviously, the Leviton worked, so it’s not a wire or breaker issue. When I checked the Hubbell with my multimeter, I get just as expected:

I actually think the ground receptacle of the outlet is messed up. Visually, it just looks too big, like the prong won’t contact it.

On the back of the Hubbell, is the ground going to Green or White?

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag

is it fixed.. I am sort same kind of situation

OP
OP

4TangledKites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Acura RDX
Country flag
When you plug in the EVSE, can you get it to work by pushing on the side of the plug or twisting it while plugged in?
I tried to wiggle it around..no luck

Turn off the power to the 14-50 at the circuit breaker and make sure the wire holders in the 14-50 are torqued properly. The wire holders can loose torque as the wire ends settle into their final position.
This was a fresh install, so nothing came loose, all was properly torqued.

On the back of the Hubbell, is the ground going to Green or White?
I don't recall it being labelled green, but the ground wire was going to ground terminal, the white to the neutral.

is it fixed.. I am sort same kind of situation
Not yet fixed, I have another Hubbell 14-50 on order hoping it was a one-off bad part. Of course I will test it before installing this time!

I did confirm this is a contact issue with the ground pin and the receptacle. I used the dongle from the mobile charger, and did conductivity tests with my multimeter. As expected, the ground isn't making contact.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not yet fixed, I have another Hubbell 14-50 on order hoping it was a one-off bad part. Of course I will test it before installing this time!

I did confirm this is a contact issue with the ground pin and the receptacle. I used the dongle from the mobile charger, and did conductivity tests with my multimeter. As expected, the ground isn't making contact.
Since there are so much Hubbells on Amazon now, they could be fake, just a theory. I would return it to Amazon and get a Bryant one from Grainger.com or grainger on Ebay (saves a little on shipping). It's cheaper and no reports of Bryant not working so far.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Since there are so much Hubbells on Amazon now, they could be fake, just a theory. I would return it to Amazon and get a Bryant one from Grainger.com or grainger on Ebay (saves a little on shipping). It's cheaper and no reports of Bryant not working so far.
Not that it matters but Bryant is owned by Hubble.

OP
OP

4TangledKites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Acura RDX
Country flag
That same thought had crossed my mind, so I'm glad you mentioned it. I'll get a replacement from Grainger...it will get here sooner too! Thanks!

minders

First Name
Mindee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium AWD ER Space White, 21 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Housewife & Student
Country flag
Thanks for the ebay tip! Didn't even think about that. I was going to use the real site to order 2 since we both have EVs now, but it'll save the $11 shipping charge via ebay due to a promotion - free shipping on orders $75+.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the ebay tip! Didn't even think about that. I was going to use the real site to order 2 since we both have EVs now, but it'll save the $11 shipping charge via ebay due to a promotion - free shipping on orders $75+.
Nice!

OP
OP

4TangledKites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Acura RDX
Country flag