Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E CA Route 1
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Posting this here as I'm curious if anyone has run into this with their Mach-E (skip to TLDR if you don't want the backstory haha).

Originally picked up my Mach-E last Friday, setup everything with no problems (other than Ford Charging Network not showing up, but seems like that was delayed for most people on here). Earlier this week while trying to fix my phone battery performance, I reset my phone though which is where the problems started happening. Initially could not get PaaK to work (Key Download Failed error) and so following the steps on here and from my call into Ford Support, tried doing a Phone Key reset, Master key reset, and removing the vehicle from my account.

Upon trying to re-activate my vehicle, I found that it was getting stuck on the activation pending which convinced me that it was getting worse than before when it just was having issues with Paak. Since unfortunately Ford Support seems to not have any documentation on the Mach-E and bounces you through multiple transfers (the employees were as helpful as they can be but it was worrisome when I was asked if the Mach-E was running Sync 3), I decided it'd be better to bring it into the dealership rather than wait the 3-5 business days that I had gotten as feedback over the phone.

At the dealership they, agreed that it appeared to be an issue with the Mach-E connecting the Ford servers. By this point, it had finally activated but none of the lock/start buttons worked and it didn't reflect the correct battery level. In addition, the Software Updates settings seem to think Vehicle Connectivity was disabled even when it was enabled, along with the extra Connectivity Features disabled. They spent a while going through the mandated steps before they could call into Ford, basically the same steps I had tried at home plus checking for software updates.

TLDR

Finally they got in contact with Ford and identified that there was a defective module that was causing issues with the Ford Connectivity and it would need to either be replaced or patched (probably should have gotten more clarity here). They said there was an unannounced bulletin about this issue and that they should be able to get back to me by Monday about it. Likely will have to go back into the dealership even if is a patch since my Mach-E doesn't seem to be capable of receiving an update.

Anyway, for anyone else who might be running into this issue, if you're on good terms with the dealership you bought from I would take it in rather than spending hours like I did on the phone with Ford Support and cycling through a bunch of different resets, re-activation, etc. I will update here as I get more updates and wondering if anyone else has heard anything related to this.

I should note otherwise very happy with the Mach-E and provided this gets resolved quickly don't have regrets. It feels great driving it, very slick design, and my only major grip is that the connectivity (and support around it) feels more alpha version than even beta.
Sponsored

CopperRobot

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
Connectivity features have only been able to start vehicle remotely. Owner.ford.com shows alerts for my diesel engine, gas engine, and transmission! Still no sign of the electric charging network. Ford.com/connectivity tells me the car has no connected features. So similar issues but not too big of a problem, assuming the kinks will get fixed. Car did add to my vehicles, shows up on Ford Pass app.

Beachcats

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Posting this here as I'm curious if anyone has run into this with their Mach-E (skip to TLDR if you don't want the backstory haha).

Originally picked up my Mach-E last Friday, setup everything with no problems (other than Ford Charging Network not showing up, but seems like that was delayed for most people on here). Earlier this week while trying to fix my phone battery performance, I reset my phone though which is where the problems started happening. Initially could not get PaaK to work (Key Download Failed error) and so following the steps on here and from my call into Ford Support, tried doing a Phone Key reset, Master key reset, and removing the vehicle from my account.

Upon trying to re-activate my vehicle, I found that it was getting stuck on the activation pending which convinced me that it was getting worse than before when it just was having issues with Paak. Since unfortunately Ford Support seems to not have any documentation on the Mach-E and bounces you through multiple transfers (the employees were as helpful as they can be but it was worrisome when I was asked if the Mach-E was running Sync 3), I decided it'd be better to bring it into the dealership rather than wait the 3-5 business days that I had gotten as feedback over the phone.

At the dealership they, agreed that it appeared to be an issue with the Mach-E connecting the Ford servers. By this point, it had finally activated but none of the lock/start buttons worked and it didn't reflect the correct battery level. In addition, the Software Updates settings seem to think Vehicle Connectivity was disabled even when it was enabled, along with the extra Connectivity Features disabled. They spent a while going through the mandated steps before they could call into Ford, basically the same steps I had tried at home plus checking for software updates.

TLDR

Finally they got in contact with Ford and identified that there was a defective module that was causing issues with the Ford Connectivity and it would need to either be replaced or patched (probably should have gotten more clarity here). They said there was an unannounced bulletin about this issue and that they should be able to get back to me by Monday about it. Likely will have to go back into the dealership even if is a patch since my Mach-E doesn't seem to be capable of receiving an update.

Anyway, for anyone else who might be running into this issue, if you're on good terms with the dealership you bought from I would take it in rather than spending hours like I did on the phone with Ford Support and cycling through a bunch of different resets, re-activation, etc. I will update here as I get more updates and wondering if anyone else has heard anything related to this.

I should note otherwise very happy with the Mach-E and provided this gets resolved quickly don't have regrets. It feels great driving it, very slick design, and my only major grip is that the connectivity (and support around it) feels more alpha version than even beta.

Beachcats

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi Ryan. I a having terrible difficulty setting up paak. Before I saw your post I spent that almost two hours on phone with Ford with no help. Now I'm in the queue for the call back in 3 to 5 days.

I went to my dealer where they are quite supportive and they were able to set it up. But, then it did not work even though it said it was set up. I tested it again at the dealership and it worked. Got home and it doesn't work. Sounds like I have a connectivity issue.

I also am happy with my Mach-E otherwise. I will go back to my dealer and post the outcome on this string.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Hi Ryan. I a having terrible difficulty setting up paak. Before I saw your post I spent that almost two hours on phone with Ford with no help. Now I'm in the queue for the call back in 3 to 5 days.

I went to my dealer where they are quite supportive and they were able to set it up. But, then it did not work even though it said it was set up. I tested it again at the dealership and it worked. Got home and it doesn't work. Sounds like I have a connectivity issue.

I also am happy with my Mach-E otherwise. I will go back to my dealer and post the outcome on this string.
Do you know how good AT&T cell service is at your house/garage? That's what the car uses for this stuff.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag

TLDR

I'm having a very similar problem, see: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/modem-“disabled”.4703/

Only I have never been able to connect, from the day I picked up my car FordPass has never activated, and the Hotspot config screen says that the "Hotspot feature has been disabled in this vehicle"--a string of words that does not exist on the internet, so there's no documentation out there about what that means or anyone else having the problem

I am taking mine back to the dealer on Monday, as I have somewhere to take the car over the weekend and he didn't have a loaner for me yesterday. I think there is more than just the modem that needs to be updated, because I can't get the lane keep display to turn off even when I turn off lane keep assist. My car was built in October, so I think I have some very early firmware

Beachcats

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Do you know how good AT&T cell service is at your house/garage? That's what the car uses for this stuff.
I drove around looking for the best signal. Still had problems.

HOWEVER, i think I've solved my install problem by hooking my phone up to Mach-E using USB cable. I was able to set up paak on both our Pixel 3 phones using the cable. Now I have to wait to see about reliability. Good luck.

OP
OP
pixelshiker

pixelshiker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I'm having a very similar problem, see: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/modem-“disabled”.4703/

Only I have never been able to connect, from the day I picked up my car FordPass has never activated, and the Hotspot config screen says that the "Hotspot feature has been disabled in this vehicle"--a string of words that does not exist on the internet, so there's no documentation out there about what that means or anyone else having the problem

I am taking mine back to the dealer on Monday, as I have somewhere to take the car over the weekend and he didn't have a loaner for me yesterday. I think there is more than just the modem that needs to be updated, because I can't get the lane keep display to turn off even when I turn off lane keep assist. My car was built in October, so I think I have some very early firmware

It seems like it could be the same system acting up but interesting that it's manifesting itself in different ways.

I've been holding off posting an update here hoping that there would be a turn for the good but so far it's just been major disappointment in Ford's support team.

When the dealership finally got back a response from Ford Engineering, it was just to try more resets (they showed me the communication and it seems like a copy-and-paste reply) with no other communication. That did not work either.

After multiple calls, I finally got the Ford Marketing Program Headquarters to fix my account with regards to the Connected Navigation and Charging Network (not sure what they did but 30 minutes after the call it finally started working).

However the car still doesn't accept remote start commands, PaaK can't connect, and system updates thinks that vehicle connectivity isn't enabled. FordPass team has an open ticket but each time they say they'll follow up with me, they never do. I was first told 3-5 days, no follow-up. Then I was told 48 hours, no follow-up. Finally they had a supervisor called me who told me they would call me in 2 days, scheduling a time, and he missed that as well.

As far as what the supervisor told me, the ticket itself had been escalated to one team and then to another team, but that they're seeing a lot of issues related to remote start and setting up PaaK with the Mach-E. He thinks it's something to do with the modem and said it might need a firmware update or be replaced. I was told he would be checking in with the engineering team but of course have no clue what he found out since again I didn't get a follow-up.

I'm thinking next steps might be to talk to the dealership to replace the modem since I have no faith in Ford's support teams resolving this. I would be fine if they told me they had a timeline to fix it (even if it was a little out) but so far all I've gone are empty promises to follow-up and a ticket that has no updates associated with it.

I really want to say great things about the Mach-E when people ask me about it but it's hard to when Ford has shown no interest in supporting the features they sold and a support system that has multiple teams that don't communicate with each other. I'm also wondering why there's no email as well, since calling in means an hour plus endeavor, being put on hold while the agent finds and reads the case, and then has no clue what to do.

Last edited:

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
However the car still doesn't accept remote start commands, PaaK can't connect, and system updates thinks that vehicle connectivity isn't enabled
The TCU (telematics control unit) which is the module that contains the wifi and LTE modem reports "DISABLED" to the technician at my dealership. Ford had him re-flash it, didn't fix it, and they sent a replacement (which didn't get there until today at 5PM). The tech said he can't read any PIDs related to PaaK at all, which is worrying

We'll see tomorrow if that fixes my issues. My two issues are: no connectivity over LTE works at all. I cannot activate FordPass, PaaK doesn't work. I can join wifi networks but nothing really happens over that connection. I also can't charge at a level 3 charger. The service manager said they (either the dealer, Ford, or both of them) thinks replacing the TCU will also solve that problem but we'll see

I am not taking the car back until everything is fixed. In Georgia, they have 30 days to resolve these problems or three attempts, and they have to buy the car back. I am keeping that option in my back pocket and will be ready to pounce on it at 7AM on day thirty.

OP
OP
pixelshiker

pixelshiker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
The TCU (telematics control unit) which is the module that contains the wifi and LTE modem reports "DISABLED" to the technician at my dealership. Ford had him re-flash it, didn't fix it, and they sent a replacement (which didn't get there until today at 5PM). The tech said he can't read any PIDs related to PaaK at all, which is worrying

We'll see tomorrow if that fixes my issues. My two issues are: no connectivity over LTE works at all. I cannot activate FordPass, PaaK doesn't work. I can join wifi networks but nothing really happens over that connection. I also can't charge at a level 3 charger. The service manager said they (either the dealer, Ford, or both of them) thinks replacing the TCU will also solve that problem but we'll see

I am not taking the car back until everything is fixed. In Georgia, they have 30 days to resolve these problems or three attempts, and they have to buy the car back. I am keeping that option in my back pocket and will be ready to pounce on it at 7AM on day thirty.
Thank you for this feedback Joe! I haven't really heard about what the TCU was reporting to the technician so I will make sure to ask about that. To be honest I don't even think they have gotten to the steps of re-flashing it with Ford yet though.

I just talked with the service manager at the dealership and we're going to push for Field Service Engineer from Ford to get involved. Not sure how much that'll help but has to be better than the generic responses so far. It sounds like the technician though really does not have much at their disposal from Ford to debug this themselves.

I wish I could leave it at the dealership as well but unfortunately I don't have a second car. In California, it's 4 attempts or 30 days in the shop which seems silly to even consider since the rest of the car is fine but it definitely does have an impact on the value of the car. I'm perplexed why Ford isn't taking this more seriously considering the supervisor indicated this is something he's been seeing.

Last edited:

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Thank you for this feedback Joe! I haven't really heard about what the TCU was reporting to the technician so I will make sure to ask about that. To be honest I don't even think they have gotten to the steps of re-flashing it with Ford yet though.

I just talked with the service manager at the dealership and we're going to push for Field Service Engineer from Ford to get involved. Not sure how much that'll help but has to be better than the generic responses so far. It sounds like the technician though really does not have much at their disposal from Ford to debug this themselves.

I wish I could leave it at the dealership as well but unfortunately I don't have a second car. In California, it's 4 attempts or 30 days in the shop which seems silly to even consider since the rest of the car is fine but it definitely does have an impact on the value of the car. I'm perplexed why Ford isn't taking this more seriously considering the supervisor indicated this is something he's been seeing.
will they not give you a loaner? my dealership gave me an explorer to drive while it's in the shop

OP
OP
pixelshiker

pixelshiker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
will they not give you a loaner? my dealership gave me an explorer to drive while it's in the shop
I think they would but right now there's no update from Ford, so no point just leaving it in the shop (unless if I wanted to start the clock on the 30 days, which maybe I should seriously consider now).

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
I think they would but right now there's no update from Ford, so no point just leaving it in the shop (unless if I wanted to start the clock on the 30 days, which maybe I should seriously consider now).
I absolutely would start the clock on the 30 days. When they return my car to me I will immediately be testing every single feature, and trying DC Fast Charging at a couple of different spots around Atlanta, to verify everything is in good shape before I put too many more miles on it, and if anything else is not working it will immediately go back to the dealer to get back on the clock

OP
OP
pixelshiker

pixelshiker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I absolutely would start the clock on the 30 days. When they return my car to me I will immediately be testing every single feature, and trying DC Fast Charging at a couple of different spots around Atlanta, to verify everything is in good shape before I put too many more miles on it, and if anything else is not working it will immediately go back to the dealer to get back on the clock
Fair point! I was planning on a road trip here so was trying to be optimistic (figured buying a new car over a month out should be fine) but might need to make changes to my plans and just leave the new car behind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pixelshiker

pixelshiker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
So quick update: Nothing really has changed. Got a follow-up call yesterday from the FordPass supervisor who said engineers are looking into it and in communication with the dealership and Field Service Engineer. However when I checked in with the dealership, they said they are still only getting responses from Global Technical Assistance and the FSE is not involved. Apparently Technical Assistance wants to try another set of resets so going to take it back in on Friday for that but I'm very skeptical that will work.

Separately, I got a hold of someone on the Customer Relations team to start talking about try to escalate for a fix and what if this doesn't get resolved. Going to wait until tomorrow to see what happens with the dealership but if there is still no progress, he's going to call the dealership to see what he can do (not sure why they don't just talk internally).

According to the ticket, they think it's an issue with the antenna (both the dealership and I think that's not it) or the TCU. I've been pushing to replace the TCU but so far it's been wait and see what the engineers find (even though they weren't looking at it until this week and I'm not convinced they are now). If this 3rd attempt doesn't work I'm planning to insist on that since the warranty is useless if they won't actually replace defect parts.
Sponsored