opennetus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Maybe “Hey Mach-e!” That would wake up the vehicle. Then give it an old school Star Trek computer voice. ;)

Or an OTA selection of various “personalities” for the car. :p
I wonder if the voice control will have multiple trigger word options, or maybe even allow a custom name (some people like to name their car). Most companies (like google) don’t allow custom trigger names because they want people to say “Hey Google” all the time; free advertising/marketing. I think they confirmed “Hey Ford” is an option. These are some other nice ones: “Hey Mustang”, “Hey Mach-E“.

I agree with others that it Is likely just a placeholder animation until you press the dash button to turn the car on (it looks like from the cabin images shown there is an “on” button that needs to be pressed, even though there is no engine to start). Once the car is turned on, the screen saver instantly goes away (you don’t have to wait for it to finish or anything).

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That shiny screen attracts a lot of dust and is full of fingerprints, same problem the e-tron has in many of the reviews I’ve seen. Don’t know if Tesla does it in any different way.
Nothing a microfiber shop rag won't take care of. We always keep one in each door pocket to clean our sunglasses anyway.

opennetus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Nothing a microfiber shop rag won't take care of. We always keep one in each door pocket to clean our sunglasses anyway.
Somebody is going to end up smashing that screen with something, like trying to cram a 2x4 cut of lumber inside the hatch. Hopefully that will be covered by comprehensive insurance.

Do you think the car will continue to function, at least well enough to drive normally, if the big screen is broken? At least with the Mach-E we have the secondary screen we can utilize while waiting for repairs, should the primary one fail.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Somebody is going to end up smashing that screen with something, like trying to cram a 2x4 cut of lumber inside the hatch. Hopefully that will be covered by comprehensive insurance.

Do you think the car will continue to function, at least well enough to drive normally, if the big screen is broken? At least with the Mach-E we have the secondary screen we can utilize while waiting for repairs, should the primary one fail.
I've wondered a little about that too. I've hauled 2x4's, blocks, trees, furniture, and other stuff in my Escape too. Whether something like that, or simply an elbow hitting, I could see that tablet sticking out from the dash being at increased risk of damage. I'm guessing the vehicle will still operate if the screen is broken, but there's a number of features that presumably couldn't be changed then. Although voice control might still work.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I wonder if the voice control will have multiple trigger word options, or maybe even allow a custom name (some people like to name their car). Most companies (like google) don’t allow custom trigger names because they want people to say “Hey Google” all the time; free advertising/marketing. I think they confirmed “Hey Ford” is an option. These are some other nice ones: “Hey Mustang”, “Hey Mach-E“.
Amazon lets you choose "Alexa," "Amazon," "Echo," or, perhaps the best choice for the Trekkie in your life, "Computer." As far as I know, they are unique in that.

I do remember reading reviews of the Mercedes voice system being woken by accident all the time by reviewers saying "Mercedes" in normal speech... honestly "Ford" would be kind of a terrible wake word.

I'd actually like it more if it could be like how I have my Echo set up, where it's on "don't listen" all the time unless I press the microphone button on the remote. A button on the wheel would be perfect. You know, like all three generations of Sync before this one ;)

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Amazon lets you choose "Alexa," "Amazon," "Echo," or, perhaps the best choice for the Trekkie in your life, "Computer." As far as I know, they are unique in that.

I do remember reading reviews of the Mercedes voice system being woken by accident all the time by reviewers saying "Mercedes" in normal speech... honestly "Ford" would be kind of a terrible wake word.

I'd actually like it more if it could be like how I have my Echo set up, where it's on "don't listen" all the time unless I press the microphone button on the remote. A button on the wheel would be perfect. You know, like all three generations of Sync before this one ;)
I have no problem with it being "Ford". Simple, and appropriate. However for a wakeup word, I do wonder if a single syllable is as effective and accurate? Seems like all other wake words are 2 or 3 syllables, presumably making them less likely to be accidentally triggered.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You mean like the little speech button on the right?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Demo of startup video / opening sequence graphics (on screens) 2021 Mustang Mach-E Steering Wheel Closeu

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
You mean like the little speech button on the right?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Demo of startup video / opening sequence graphics (on screens) 2021 Mustang Mach-E Steering Wheel Closeu
TV

You’ll have to explain such things to us who’ve never seen this stuff. I drive a 2006 Toyota Tacoma or a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. I don’t even get to touch the 2020 Ford Raptor. I got to ride in it once though. ;)

Oh, and when I was working we had very very modern airplanes. The computers were powered by 2 80286 processors. They still are, although the latest have 3 80286 processors. Don’t you feel better about flying now? :p

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
TV

You’ll have to explain such things to us who’ve never seen this stuff. I drive a 2006 Toyota Tacoma or a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. I don’t even get to touch the 2020 Ford Raptor. I got to ride in it once though. ;)

Oh, and when I was working we had very very modern airplanes. The computers were powered by 2 80286 processors. They still are, although the latest have 3 80286 processors. Don’t you feel better about flying now? :p

Lots of car companies and all Ford's with Sync use a little icon of a person talking to mark the "Voice" button:
http://fordaddict.com/ford-sync-voice-commands/
Same little talking person was on our 2011 Prius, is on our 2016 Leaf, and is on the Mach E wheel.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
TV

Actually there really isn't anything wrong with the venerable 80286 CPU; sure they are slow and aged but they still work and get the job done.

I'm sure many cars on the road stil have as old if not older CPU's in them (68HC11's anyone?).

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually there really isn't anything wrong with the venerable 80286 CPU; sure they are slow and aged but they still work and get the job done.

I'm sure many cars on the road stil have as old if not older CPU's in them (68HC11's anyone?).
The rather modern B-787 has 16 of them. I’ll not get into the why’s of 16? But my reaction was wtf? In 2008 (First test flight iirc).

The aircraft I flew for the last 17 years of my career was the MD-11. It started out with 1 286 processor.

It’ll be interesting at some point to delve into the trivia of the electronics of the MME and see what era some of the components are from and why. There’s nothing wrong with this at all, it’s just a bit off perspective wise when you’re an end user is all. Not everything either needs or can benefit from an i9-9900K processor.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
The rather modern B-787 has 16 of them. I’ll not get into the why’s of 16? But my reaction was wtf? In 2008 (First test flight iirc).

The aircraft I flew for the last 17 years of my career was the MD-11. It started out with 1 286 processor.

It’ll be interesting at some point to delve into the trivia of the electronics of the MME and see what era some of the components are from and why. There’s nothing wrong with this at all, it’s just a bit off perspective wise when you’re an end user is all. Not everything either needs or can benefit from an i9-9900K processor.
I would imagine the MME has the latest and greatest embedded processors of "today" (probably even more powerful than your average car due to all the autonomous features in it). The thing is: It will keep using those processors throughout its production life. Thus a brand new 2030 MME will have the best of 2020 in it.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Lots of car companies and all Ford's with Sync use a little icon of a person talking to mark the "Voice" button:
http://fordaddict.com/ford-sync-voice-commands/
Same little talking person was on our 2011 Prius, is on our 2016 Leaf, and is on the Mach E wheel.
OK, I'm now going to insist the thing talk to us in the voice of HAL from "2001: A space Oddesy." I don't even care if it calls me "Dave."

This is a non-negotiable term.

Seriously, thanks for the link.
Sponsored