bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Interesting that DHS went with a Select RWD vs NYPD choosing a GT AWD model, which is more appropriate for a pursuit vehicle. A Select RWD is a great budget-conscious choice for a lot of public agencies. I won’t get into any of my views on policing, but I will close by saying I’m glad to see more EVs in public fleets.
This Mach-E is being used at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center location in Cheltenham, MD, not for actual pursuit purposes. As someone who trained at one of the other FLETC locations, I can tell you that this vehicle will be used primarily for patrols within the confines of the training center fences and maybe for getting officers from one location to another at the facility or maybe running an errand or two outside the walls of the facility, but there definitely will be no high speed pursuits in this particular Mach-E.
Sponsored

Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
DHS doesn't do "pursuit" - they aren't traffic cops (Federal Protective Service), so the lower trims are suitable for just getting our officers around DC. A select is still faster than 90% of the cars on the road anyway....
Ah this is for the Federal Protective Services force officers. Ah that trim choice totally makes sense. They do great work keeping federal workers and officials safe.

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Select Mach E+Comfort and Tech, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
I personally can't think of anything less cool than driving around in the same car as cops do. Every time I see Mach-E's repurposed for policing uses I cringe.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I personally can't think of anything less cool than driving around in the same car as cops do. Every time I see Mach-E's repurposed for policing uses I cringe.
Maybe, but back when Crown Vics were available as rentals it was always fun to get one and watch traffic part like the Red Sea.

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm surprise they didn't pick red since that is the best color and it signifies strength and valor.
Back when police agencies switched light bars from all red to blue and red lights, it was because in snowing condition, blue light is most visible. Perhaps this is why blue highlights were chosen here.
Sponsored