Deposit refund for cancelled order (no build date)?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Now that I’ve got my MME, I’ve got one more housekeeping item to cleanup. I placed an order and paid a $500 deposit through the Ford website about 6 weeks ago. Don’t even have a build date scheduled yet.

I called the dealer to see if I could cancel and get my deposit back. He said he’d have to check because he thinks Ford has the money - not the dealership. Based on what I’ve read. I don’t think that’s accurate. But I could be wrong as I only placed the order about six weeks ago.

Anybody know how this officially works? I’d obviously like to get the $500 back but my dealer doesn’t think they even have the money.
Sponsored

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Now that I’ve got my MME, I’ve got one more housekeeping item to cleanup. I placed an order and paid a $500 deposit through the Ford website about 6 weeks ago. Don’t even have a build date scheduled yet.

I called the dealer to see if I could cancel and get my deposit back. He said he’d have to check because he thinks Ford has the money - not the dealership. Based on what I’ve read. I don’t think that’s accurate. But I could be wrong as I only placed the order about six weeks ago.

Anybody know how this officially works? I’d obviously like to get the $500 back but my dealer doesn’t think they even have the money.
I did get my deposit back from the dealer when I switched dealers. Took about three weeks. The dealers book keeper had to call ford to find out how to do it.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag

Check your credit card statement. I placed an order last month through Ford's website, the $500 charge on my credit card statement was from the dealer.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag

The *order* deposit is from your dealer. If you had a *reservation* it would be with Ford.

The dealer probably just needs to learn their system.

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
My dealer has continued to jerk my chain. The GM says call Ford, Ford says talk to the GM. The dealer says I'll get it back when the car sells, but they're holding out for max ADM. Why should I have to wait for that? I put the deposit on my credit card last July, so I just disputed the charge with the issuer and told them I never took delivery of a vehicle. The transaction was clearly the dealership, even though they claim the don't know where the money is. I'm tired of messing around.

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
Good luck. I'm in a similar situation. Placed an order back in June that was accidentally canceled three days after being placed and I still haven't gotten my $500. Ford is claiming the dealer owes me the deposit; dealer says Ford never gave them the money because they don't actually get the deposit until the vehicle is delivered to them (which will never happen because it's canceled). I told the dealer that rather than a chargeback to my credit card, I'd be happy with a $500 credit towards the purchase of my new order, which they agreed to do.

Fluff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I cancelled my order and the dealer could not credit my card account. They wrote me a check instead for $500. No hassle transaction.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Check your credit card statement. I placed an order last month through Ford's website, the $500 charge on my credit card statement was from the dealer.
You are correct. I checked my statement and the charge is from my dealer - not Ford. I'll give it a few days and then follow up. Frankly - if they don't want to give me a refund I'd be happy with "store credit." I need to buy a few things like weather mats, etc. I have no hard feelings against this dealer and I actually feel kinda bad canceling my order on them - I just found a grabber blue I could have now for x-plan instead of waiting possibly 6 months or longer for the star white.

mfbrown

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Prem, RWD, ER; 2023 MME Prem, RWD, ER
Country flag
You are correct. I checked my statement and the charge is from my dealer - not Ford. I'll give it a few days and then follow up. Frankly - if they don't want to give me a refund I'd be happy with "store credit." I need to buy a few things like weather mats, etc. I have no hard feelings against this dealer and I actually feel kinda bad canceling my order on them - I just found a grabber blue I could have now for x-plan instead of waiting possibly 6 months or longer for the star white.
Yes, it is DEFINITELY with the dealer. When I put in the reservation on the Ford site, the fine print warned that I had to get the refund policy from the dealer I was "selecting". Also, my dealer charged $1000 instead of the usual $500. Before I placed the order I called the dealer to confirm that they would give me a refund if I found the car elsewhere sooner and he assured me it would not be a problem. He said that they would not cancel the car from Ford and would sell it off the lot. (Yeah, at a $5k premium).
Sponsored