GrantK

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Select AWD
Country flag
When I lived in the UK (up to August last year) I loved my glass roof, especially in the dreary winter when it brightened up the car a bit (that car was not an MME).

Since moving to sunny California I have not felt the need for a glass roof (there is more than enough light snd sun).
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mrn

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Did the coatings on the glass change for the 22 model year?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Did the coatings on the glass change for the 22 model year?
Doesn’t seem so.

The coatings on the roof and the windshield are awesome.

My DMG is cooler in direct sunlight in Florida than my old car (white Chevy SS with ceramic tint). Like significantly cooler.

Deleted member 3569

I really do not feel the heat from the glass roof at all, the A/C is very effective ... me in central FL and this summer temp have shot upwards of 103ºF almost on daily basis.

MrsZuko

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White MME GTPE
Occupation
NP
Country flag
I'd love for a BlueCruise Premium or GT without the glass roof.
THIS. Ford, I hope you're taking notes. I went for the metal roof because we get hail pretty frequently and having repaired three cars in the past 5 years or so, I don't really want to mess with replacing a specialty piece of glass. I've also never been a sunroof person...I know this is different, but I always had my shades closed. I'm also 5'3' so head room is not an issue for me.

Blue cruise and the 360 cam would have been a nice option. I bought my car to drive it, so I don't think I'm missing out personally, but it would be nice to have on an otherwise fully optioned vehicle.

Valkyrja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GTPE, Star White
Occupation
I hack things
Country flag
I live in the desert and the pano roof radiates a lot of heat. I absolutely hate it and currently have a shade over it. That said, the GTPE is very fun to drive so we might keep it for a bit.

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
I do wish it actually tilts and slides open, which allows much better airflow into the cabin if it simply tilts up and greatly reduces fogging without turning on the climate control.

What I do love about having the glass roof is the ease of regular maintenance washes. Saved a lot of elbow grease when I did the ceramic coating. Just make sure you don't let hard water spots form on it.
What’s the best way to keep it clean??

OP
OP
Mrn

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
For glass it's usually best to just wash it with soap and water, rinse, then wipe dry with a soft cloth. I use Woolite, water, and a soft, long handled brush on the whole car. It's great for reaching the roof, etc and preventing water spots.

Aquar33f

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT
Country flag
A glass roof is a non-issue (mostly) in Florida.

My concern was long-term reliability of it. It will be prone to chips and cracks. And costs.

I'd love for a BlueCruise Premium or GT without the glass roof.
They make non PE GTs like this, I have one.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
No, not anymore they don't. They did for the 2021 model year. I got one too.
Yep, it was a way to option a GT in 2021, but not in 2022. If they made the GT-PE for 2023 available with a metal roof and Co-Pilot 360/Active 2.0 I would probably order one. 😎🐩

Mawby

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1933 Ford Speedstar Roadster, 2021 Mache CA RT1
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Exactly. Drive around it in direct sun in Florida and sometimes forget it’s there.
Special coating. Nothing close to your standard moonroof.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
What’s the best way to keep it clean??
Nothing special really. Since it's glass, there's little worry of scratching when washing and drying so scrub away. To speed up drying, I actually use a squeegee on all glass which I'd never do on paint.

gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
Exactly. Drive around it in direct sun in Florida and sometimes forget it’s there.
I'm sorry, but the roof most certainly lets an obscene amount of infrared radiation into the cabin. You can touch the glass roof from the inside once it's been siting in midday sun for a few hours and you'll undeniably feel how hot it is. That heat in-turn heats up the ambient air in the cabin substantially. Compare this to a fully covered roof with insulation and there is no comparison.

I know these forums are frequented by a lot of fanboys whose opinions are grossly biased. I'm just pointing out the facts here.

I had my glass roof tinted even further by 3M ipx ceramic film, which cost me around $500, and further reduces the amount of infrared radiation by about 30%.

Not here to argue, just pointing out the fact. This belief of yours - that glass somehow blocks sun's infrared heat, or has no effect on insulation - is in error. Replace your home's roof with glass and call me when it's 95 degrees in August.
Sponsored

Last edited: