Desirability of glass roofs.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I absolutely hate and detest the sun, and I've had to buy a shade for the pano roof. The pano roof absolutely lets in light and heat more than a regular metal roof would. It's too bad the extra headroom and the premium trim only come with a glass roof; otherwise, I'd have opted for the metal roof.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It is not huge, but itā€™s up high. I havenā€™t seen anything posted by Ford as to the difference. Someone posted a number that I donā€™t think is accurate so I am not repeating it. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©

I have been known to hollow out bolt heads, soā€¦ Yeah, I am weird. šŸ¤ŖšŸ©
Itā€™s worth repeating.

Itā€™s between 30 and 50 lbs.

Source?
1. People added up the exact weight of all the metal roof parts vs the glass.

2. The weight difference between the glass roof ICE mustang vs metal roof is about 30 lbs.

Up high or not, youā€™ll never notice the difference.

Unlike less powerful cars Iā€™ve owned in the past, I donā€™t even notice an extra 150 lb passenger.

Only time I could tell a performance difference was when 4 200 lb average guys all wanted to go for a test ride at the same time.

Jimbo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium 4X
Country flag
I like my glass roof (and light and heat have been no issue at all), but if I could've gotten a metal roof and still got BlueCruise, I would've.

And ooh boy, was I scared it was gonna crack when I got in a freak hailstorm.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

sukhoi_584th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME CR1 AWD
Country flag
Any thoughts on the cost implications of converting from glass to metal roof if a cracked glass roof needed replaced anyway? How many parts other than the headliner are different?

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
The extra headroom is extremely helpful when using the back to sleep in. The extra 1.5 inches or so made a huge difference for me going to a premium from a select. When Iā€™m driving, I donā€™t even notice the sunroof though, which I didnā€™t expect considering how large it is. Personally, Iā€™d rather have one that opens even if it was significantly smaller, but the pano thing is pretty cool too.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Any thoughts on the cost implications of converting from glass to metal roof if a cracked glass roof needed replaced anyway? How many parts other than the headliner are different?
There is bracing that is welded to the chassis, that big piece of sheet metal called the roof, adhesives, insulation, various clips. Not sure what else. It would be a huge undertaking. šŸ¤”šŸ©

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I love the pano roof. I don't find heat an issue at all. It would be even better if the windshield and roof had no seam the way Lucid does.

JryErok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME SR RWD Lucid Red
Country flag
I drove my MME on a hot day and I have to say that i felt noticable amount of heat on my head coming from the glass roof. It does a good job stopping the IR radiation, but the roof itself gets really hot so it starts to radiate heat itself.
Now, it was not unbearable. I still really like the glass roof in this car and I definitely don't see a need for a sun shade.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
Add one vote for love the glass roof

Keeperofthe7keys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium
Country flag
A bad, bad fad - I'd much rather have a moonroof
COMPLETELY disagree. Glass roofs add more headroom while allowing a sleeker design for better aerodynamic efficiency. As long as it's tinted enough the shade isn't really important, it makes the car feel a lot more open and roomy than it actually is.

I also never used the moonroof in other vehicles, it's too small to really be of benefit to either front or rear passengers, it actually robs headroom, and let's be real, when heat (or cold) is the issue, I'm never going to have it open anyways. Always have the A/C blasting outside of winter :p

(I know some people love their moonroofs but I don't and this article is just really dumb.)

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Every once in a while if the sun is in my eyes through the roof I either put a hat on or I'll actually pull the sun visor out above my head to block the sun...its not too difficult to do that with the visor though. Doesn't bother me. I like the glass roof.
Sponsored