Destination and Delivery Charge? Deposit and ID Question

dbonsett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
My order included a $1100 Destination and Delivery Charge. Signed the order got a confirmation from Ford. Put $1500 down via check that they said they will not cash until time of delivery. Also had to have a matching Drivers license to make sure the dealer is not ordering vehicles speculating. Vehicle had to be tied to a check and Drivers License. Is that typical?
Sponsored

dwee415

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber blue Mach E GT non-performance
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
My order included a $1100 Destination and Delivery Charge. Signed the order got a confirmation from Ford. Put $1500 down via check that they said they will not cash until time of delivery. Also had to have a matching Drivers license to make sure the dealer is not ordering vehicles speculating. Vehicle had to be tied to a check and Drivers License. Is that typical?
I had the $1100 destination and delivery charge along with the deposit. Most deposits are $500 but mine was also $1500. Those parts are normal.

I never showed a driver's license and the vehicle did not have to be tied to a check and driver's license. That part's not typical.

OP
OP

dbonsett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had the $1100 destination and delivery charge along with the deposit. Most deposits are $500 but mine was also $1500. Those parts are normal.

I never showed a driver's license and the vehicle did not have to be tied to a check and driver's license. That part's not typical.
They said that they are cracking down on dealers ordering for people that do not exist. Speculating they can sell them at a premium to someone. Made sense to me. Its been 4 weeks and they have not cashed the check. Local Ford Dealership I have bought from before.

capnhowdy21

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE Premium, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Development Manager
Country flag
Originally they took no money from me, and they then said I needed to do the online order and place the $500 deposit. I’ve mentioned it before, but I also have two cars attached to my order. A white one and then a blue cause they said they couldn’t update the white one. So I somehow have two cars being built the same week. I do wonder if Ford is doing stuff to stop that.

OP
OP

dbonsett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Originally they took no money from me, and they then said I needed to do the online order and place the $500 deposit. I’ve mentioned it before, but I also have two cars attached to my order. A white one and then a blue cause they said they couldn’t update the white one. So I somehow have two cars being built the same week. I do wonder if Ford is doing stuff to stop that.
My order confirmed by Ford had MSRP pricing. No premium. I hope they dont try any funny business when and if it arrives.

capnhowdy21

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE Premium, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Development Manager
Country flag
My dealer is confirmed msrp, I don’t think they are screwing me, but they are using my order to get an extra car. I mean maybe it’s all legit, but it just seems like they are getting extra inventory. As long as it doesn’t mess up my order.

OP
OP

dbonsett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My dealer is confirmed msrp, I don’t think they are screwing me, but they are using my order to get an extra car. I mean maybe it’s all legit, but it just seems like they are getting extra inventory. As long as it doesn’t mess up my order.
Agree.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Insisting on proof of a real end-customer sounds like a great idea. I think this is in the best interest of actual buyers because it makes it harder for dealers to order as many cars as possible that don't have real buyers ... all so that they can put them on their sales lot.

While I am not opposed to dealers having inventory on their sales lot... that's something that should be done with excess inventory after consumer demand for factory-ordered cars has been satisfied.

In many (most?) states, automakers are not permitted to sell product directly to consumers. They are bound by state law to sell cars ONLY to dealers ... and those dealers can then do anything they want. This is one of those things that may have seemed like a good idea at the time ... but backfired. If you hate it ... write your state representative (the automakers hate it too).

Automakers try to control abusive dealers ... but their options are somewhat limited. As someone who lives in the Detroit area and has friends at various auto-companies ... I can attest that the automakers don't like these problematic dealers anymore than you do.

Typically they "bonus" dealers who are good by giving them access to hard-to-get or limited-edition products and/or give them better discounts on cars. Dealers that abuse rules may find that they lose those discounts or lose access to cars that are hard-to-get. This is the "carrot vs. stick" approach. They cannotso easily apply the stick to punish abusive dealers ... but they can withhold the "carrot' that offers favorable status to good dealers.

OP
OP

dbonsett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Insisting on proof of a real end-customer sounds like a great idea. I think this is in the best interest of actual buyers because it makes it harder for dealers to order as many cars as possible that don't have real buyers ... all so that they can put them on their sales lot.

While I am not opposed to dealers having inventory on their sales lot... that's something that should be done with excess inventory after consumer demand for factory-ordered cars has been satisfied.

In many (most?) states, automakers are not permitted to sell product directly to consumers. They are bound by state law to sell cars ONLY to dealers ... and those dealers can then do anything they want. This is one of those things that may have seemed like a good idea at the time ... but backfired. If you hate it ... write your state representative (the automakers hate it too).

Automakers try to control abusive dealers ... but their options are somewhat limited. As someone who lives in the Detroit area and has friends at various auto-companies ... I can attest that the automakers don't like these problematic dealers anymore than you do.

Typically they "bonus" dealers who are good by giving them access to hard-to-get or limited-edition products and/or give them better discounts on cars. Dealers that abuse rules may find that they lose those discounts or lose access to cars that are hard-to-get. This is the "carrot vs. stick" approach. They cannotso easily apply the stick to punish abusive dealers ... but they can withhold the "carrot' that offers favorable status to good dealers.
That all makes sense. Its the evolution of going to the online only model like Tesla for new cars. Make dealers have buyers before the manufacturers ship them. Would work for high demand vehicles for sure. Eventually it could get interesting for the Bricks and Mortars. Stock a few of everything but not a full lot. Focus more on service and the used cars traded in.
Sponsored