First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
We’ll never know the logic behind this one. I’m not saying a Max Defrost button isn’t important, but that‘s already a permanent button on the bottom of the touchscreen. Why do we need two?
I can't think of a reason for why they'd need two of the same button. However, there may be good cause for inclusion of the physical button.

Relating to some vehicles from another manufacturer, this problem is described in a recent investigation by the United States Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Office of Defects Investigations (US DOT NHTSA ODI -- what a frickin' mouthful):

Failure of the touchscreen results in loss of rear camera image display when reverse gear is selected, resulting in reduced rear visibility when backing. Failure of touchscreen also impacts HVAC (defogging) ability, and audible chimes relating to ADAS, Autopilot and turn signals.​

Here, NHTSA is stating that these systems are safety relevant:
  • rear-view backup camera
  • windshield defogging
  • ADAS (and "Autopilot" which is just another name for some components of ADAS)
  • audible chimes for signalling
  • [included further into the complaint] alerts associated with vehicle functions

As we recently learned from @capt_jak_harkness's test drive, a malfunction in Mach-E's infotainment software can cause all or most of the display to go all black until it's rebooted.

What's interesting though, is that while the majority of the center display was black, NONE of the above-listed safety systems were impacted.

Surprisingly, even the backup camera display continued to function.
Sponsored

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I can't think of a reason for why they'd need two of the same button. However, there may be good cause for inclusion of the physical button.

Relating to some vehicles from another manufacturer, this problem is described in a recent investigation by the United States Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Office of Defects Investigations (US DOT NHTSA ODI -- what a frickin' mouthful):

Failure of the touchscreen results in loss of rear camera image display when reverse gear is selected, resulting in reduced rear visibility when backing. Failure of touchscreen also impacts HVAC (defogging) ability, and audible chimes relating to ADAS, Autopilot and turn signals.​

Here, NHTSA is stating that these systems are safety relevant:
  • rear-view backup camera
  • windshield defogging
  • ADAS (and "Autopilot" which is just another name for some components of ADAS)
  • audible chimes for signalling
  • [included further into the complaint] alerts associated with vehicle functions

As we recently learned from @capt_jak_harkness's test drive, a malfunction in Mach-E's infotainment software can cause all or most of the display to go all black until it's rebooted.

What's interesting though, is that while the majority of the center display was black, NONE of the above-listed safety systems were impacted.

Surprisingly, even the backup camera display continued to function.
You would be 100% correct. Defrost is considered a safety feature. This demonstrates the different approach the companies are taking and their priorities. Aesthetics of a sleek, button-less cockpit versus a more conservative, tried-and-true interior with some new looks.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I hadn’t thought of that. It makes sense that they would add the Max Defrost physical button so that you can always defog the windshield, even if the screen goes dead. But I hope they let us change the soft button to a trunk open button then.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I have never wanted/needed to open a trunk/rear hatch while sitting in the driver's seat. I've been watching this debate for over seven months. I just don't get it. What am I missing out on in my life?
It goes deeper than what you are missing out on. It doesn’t matter whether you ever wanted/needed to open a trunk/hatch while sitting in the driver’s seat. That there has been a months long debate is evidence that there is an argument for the desire for the button by a significant number of buyers. The fact that such buttons have existed for decades in all manner of vehicles at all manner of price points is evidence that not including one in the MME might have been a mistake. Particularly when there was ample room available by the left knee.

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
It goes deeper than what you are missing out on. It doesn’t matter whether you ever wanted/needed to open a trunk/hatch while sitting in the driver’s seat. That there has been a months long debate is evidence that there is an argument for the desire for the button by a significant number of buyers. The fact that such buttons have existed for decades in all manner of vehicles at all manner of price points is evidence that not including one in the MME might have been a mistake. Particularly when there was ample room available by the left knee.
Even better, IMO, would be a couple of buttons labeled A and B, perhaps, which could be assignable to anything (within safe bounds) appearing in the nested menus. Plenty of room for them by the left knee.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Detailed Walkaround of 2021 Mach E Premium AWD - inside and out 1612764033032

Hoping that we will eventually be able to customize the bottom row of features/apps on the big screen to bring the trunk open button up to the main screen.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I have never wanted/needed to open a trunk/rear hatch while sitting in the driver's seat. I've been watching this debate for over seven months. I just don't get it. What am I missing out on in my life?
We have a dedicated rear hatch button on the driver's door in our Honda Pilot. I use it almost every time I drive it. The scenario is: Go to the grocery store, buy groceries put them in the rear. When you get home, while opening the door you tap the button to open the rear hatch. By the time you walk around to the back of the vehicle, the hatch is completely open already for you to reach in for your groceries. I realize this is clearly a first-world problem, but having that physical button ON THE DOOR where you are going to open the door anyway makes opening the rear hatch while exiting the vehicle an almost one-motion exercise. It sounds strange if you've never experienced it, but trust me it is now become invaluable :)

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I would not want to give up real button for the max defrost. You might need that if the screen fails in 6-8 years.