TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, I noticed the cash back on the bolt, too - it is very recent (after Mach-E announcement). I am not sure if it is just housecleaning to move excess inventory, or a competition thing. I've been intending to get a BEV as soon as my current ride is paid off, so I've been watching prices and options for a couple of years. As background I bought a 2015 v6 convertible (the car I've wanted for 30 years) when I had a 16 mile daily commute, but have since changed jobs to a 100 mile daily commute - and burning that much gas has me feeling guilty. Anyway, until the Mach-E (with tax credit) came along I could only afford a Bolt. Not to offend anyone, but IMHO the Bolt is an econobox compared to the Mach-E, and with the tax credit the Select edition is only a little more expensive. In the near term Bolt sales are going to get killed, and I think Chevy knows that. We'll see if these kinds of discounts last on the Bolt, but I would expect its price to drop permanently through 2022 or Chevy will have to restyle it - maybe both.
Agree that the Bolt is a significantly "cheaper" vehicle in terms of interior/features/etc than what the Mach-e is supposed to be. More plastics, fewer features, probably not as quiet or smooth, etc. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but just like ICE vehicles, you have $25k cheaper ones and $45k better ones. I'm at the point in my life that I can afford to spend some more (within reason) for the next level up. Hoping the Mach-e fits that bill. But even with the tax credits, we're still talking over $50k after D/H, delivery charge, sales tax, and registration. (Then figure higher insurance bills too.)

That has me a little tempted to look a bit deeper at the Bolt. Searching the inventory at local dealers shows some big discounts. Some of the dealers show a no-haggle price. They're selling a $44,130 MSRP 2020 Premium Bolt for $34,851. And they're in stock today. That's a little bit tempting.
Sponsored