Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Interesting: "Combustible engines" ! LOL

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...-ford-mach-e-mustang-suv-electric/2782349001/

Ford dealership gets 40 orders for Mustang Mach-E in one night

Imagine getting 40 customers in one night for a vehicle that starts at $43,895 and reaches $60,500.

Steve Fuentes did.

"And we're up to 100 reservations now," he said. "The Mustang Mach-E has had a tremendous positive response. This is one of the biggest game changers we've ever had."

993-2021_Mustang_Mach-E_Premium_in_Carbonized_Gray.jpg

Ford Motor Co. has been inundated with orders for the 2021 Mustang Mach-E. (Photo: Ford Motor Co)
The owner of Sunnyvale Ford in the heart of Silicon Valley raved about response to the 2021 Mustang Mach-E SUV at a dealership located just blocks from Tesla, the rival high-profile electric carmaker led by controversial CEO Elon Musk. "I just think the market is ripe and it's ready for something other than Tesla. Our all-electric SUV with a 300 mile range is super cool and functional."

Fuentes noted that the high-efficiency vehicle will allow drivers to use special commuter lanes in the notoriously congested West Coast highways. "It's like the e-ticket at Disneyland," he said.

c49c36b-7e48-4d18-9779-353bab83a818-sunnyvale_ford.jpg

The Sunnyvale Ford dealership in Sunnyvale, California. (Photo: Sunnyvale Ford)
More than one in four buyers of the now sold-out first edition version of the Mach-E lives in California.

Yet response from other parts of America to the vehicle has been immediate.

Tom Nardone, 49, an entrepreneur from Birmingham, Michigan, placed his $500 reservation for a base model 2021 Mustang Mach-E with all-wheel drive within hours of watching the unveiling on YouTube. "I'm interested in efficiency. I like the idea of a Tesla but I don't trust Tesla. I would've bought a Chevrolet Bolt but it wasn't very attractive. Right now I'm driving a 2020 Camry hybrid. I love it. This new vehicle will replace my wife's 2017 Dodge Journey."

06b9-a368-4b0e-948d-ba7aed2e36ed-Tom__Lisa_Nardone.jpg

Tom and Lisa Nardone of Birmingham can't wait to receive their 2021 Mustang Mach-E. This photo was taken in February 2019 in Birmingham at a PTA fundraiser. (Photo: Tom Nardone)
Mike Van Camp, 36, an industrial metal fabrication contractor from Schereville, Indiana, chose the Mustang Mach-E GT nearly two decades after buying a 2001 GT yellow convertible. "I was looking for something sporty and considered getting a Jeep Gladiator. But this, it's the first of its kind and I can say I was there when it first came out."

Anne Thimm, 58, a retired analyst from Alexandria, Virginia, laughs when she talks about her love of Mustang.

"Back in 2001, the Mustang Bullitt came out and I just fell in love with that car. I walked into a Ford dealership and the guy said to me, 'Honey, don't you think that's a little too much for you?' Like, really? I was just floored. I was ready to pay cash for that car. So I walked right out and went to another Ford dealership 15 miles down the road and got my Bullitt. I loved that car."

She sadly parted with the Mustang to transport her four dogs.

0a1b0952-596e-4daf-b19c-cef88ae7a15d-Anne_Thimm.jpg

Anne Thimm, a retired analyst from Alexandria, Virginia is glad the Mustang Mach-E will hold her dogs: Truman, a retired racing greyhound; Tina, a Spanish Galgo; and whippets, Bambi and Remi. The photo was taken in Spring 2017 in Lake Anna, Virginia. (Photo: Larry Thimm)
"I mourn that car every day," Thimm said. "Now we can get a Mustang to haul our dogs and also have electric. When I saw the Mach-E, I thought, 'Oh my God, it checks all our boxes.' It's fun and it has plenty of room."

Soon she will replace her Toyota Highlander hybrid with a first edition red Mach-E.

Matt Stanford, general manager at Varsity Ford in Ann Arbor, said he has totaled 70 orders for the Mach-E already.

"And I actually ordered one for myself, a black GT," he confessed. "I have professors who have ordered, doctors, Ford employees, folks looking for an answer to the combustible engine — people concerned about their carbon footprint. I've got folks in their mid-20s all the way up to their late 60s."

This is new territory for Ford, said Stanford, whose uncles founded the dealership and whose family members sell cars. "Ford, instead of sticking its toe in the pool, jumped completely into the deep end. Tesla has owned the market. Tesla is just killing it. There's a sexiness to the Tesla vehicle. It's a status symbol, almost a way of life for some people. It's a sleek, nice looking car. So Ford's going at 'em."

First editions are selling mostly in Carbonized Gray at 38%, Grabber Blue Metallic at 35% and Rapid Red at 27%. More than 80% of U.S. customers are reserving Mach-E with an extended range battery. About 55% are buying all-wheel drive. Almost 30% are choosing the top-model GT.

The Dearborn automaker doesn't reveal the number of first editions sold but does note that the company has promised only 50,000 Mach-E vehicles that will be sold for the first 12 months in the U.S., Canada and Europe, and then other markets including China, Ford spokeswoman Emma Bergg confirmed.

There are four other trim levels besides the first edition. A potential tax credit of $7,500 will be applied to the prices below:

• Select, from $43,895
  • Premium, from $50,600
  • First Edition, from $59,900
  • California Route 1, from $52,400
  • GT from $60,500
While some Mustang aficionados freaked out when Ford announced the iconic pony car's name would be used on an SUV, many Mustang collectors loved the idea.

"I own a silver 2005 Mustang GT," Nardone said. "I'm dying to get rid of that Mustang. It gets 12 miles to the gallon. This electric Mustang is going to be quicker than my Mustang GT. "

Van Camp, who drives a 2017 Ford Explorer for work, has been searching for years for the right car and all-electric didn't play a key role in his decision. "I was definitely dead set on buying a Mustang and after I saw the Mach-E, I definitely knew I wanted that Mustang.

"It'll probably be an evening car, a weekend car. There's still a little trepidation about taking it on road trips. I'm anxious to see where the charging stations will be. They don't pinpoint a lot around my area yet; I'm just outside Chicago. But I know I can go back and forth from my house to Blackhawks games because they have charging stations in their parking lot."

2f4d5007-9e20-40eb-ab8c-32be68f4e3f9-Mike_Van_Camp.jpg

Mike Van Camp of Schereville, Indiana, has placed his reservation for a 2021 Mustang Mach-E. This photo was taken Dec. 4, 2019 in Muncie, Indiana. (Photo: Katie McLain)
With energy efficiency top of mind, now Van Camp is considering the idea of installing solar panels at his business, Van's Industrial.

Carla Bailo, CEO of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, said she's not surprised by the rapid response to the hot new electric vehicle.

"We're starting to see a new era in EVs," she said. "They're being seen as performance vehicles now. They really get off the line fast. They have great acceleration. Because of that, you're getting kind of an enthusiast culture around EVs. Initially when they came out, it was more about the green side of things and saving the environment. Now this is being marketed as a performance vehicle."

LOL The guy worried about getting to Blackhawk games in Chicago from his house in the suburbs. I'm guessing he could make that round trip at least twice on the short ranged Mach-E.

Hey anyone on here in that video in the article??

Last edited by a moderator:

LOEzell

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(1): 2021 Audi Etron, (2): 2019 MDX Advance
Occupation
Retired Engineering Manager
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've joked about this being my "midlife crisis " car. :cool:

Although I'm really about a decade too old for that. Oh well, better late than never. ;)

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
California is going to be a larger piece of new car deliveries than many of us would like. Those in Middle America are likely going to have to wait.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
California is going to be a larger piece of new car deliveries than many of us would like. Those in Middle America are likely going to have to wait.
Unlike many other BEV manufactures have done, I have hopes that Ford will treat the whole country fairly and not give preferential treatment to CA when it comes to availability. And let the market decide. By that I mean if 25% of US demand (reservations) comes from CA residents, I'm fine with CA getting 25% of the deliveries. Where I would be upset is if they say "only CA will get the first 10,000 US deliveries and other states will have to wait 6 months".

I'd likely cancel my reservation if they pull that crap. The whole point of having a place in line with a reservation# is to deliver them in that order, regardless of where that customer lives.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Unlike many other BEV manufactures have done, I have hopes that Ford will treat the whole country fairly and not give preferential treatment to CA when it comes to availability. And let the market decide. By that I mean if 25% of US demand (reservations) comes from CA residents, I'm fine with CA getting 25% of the deliveries. Where I would be upset is if they say "only CA will get the first 10,000 US deliveries and other states will have to wait 6 months".

I'd likely cancel my reservation if they pull that crap. The whole point of having a place in line with a reservation# is to deliver them in that order, regardless of where that customer lives.
From what I’ve seen your reservation is time stamped. After your order is finalized then production scheduling will be prioritized by those time stamps. So when Ford starts making your trim level vehicle your place in line is used to determine when your vehicle is made.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
From what I’ve seen your reservation is time stamped. After your order is finalized then production scheduling will be prioritized by those time stamps. So when Ford starts making your trim level vehicle your place in line is used to determine when your vehicle is made.
That's what I'm expecting too. Again, the whole point of using a reservation system.

Now, after the reservations are filled and it's just another "shop from dealer stock" transaction, I suspect CA will probably get preferential stock quantities again. But for the reservations, they better treat people equally (and I expect they will).

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
I hope that is true. But Tesla did not do that to Model 3 reservations. Some of the "cheaper" Model 3 reservations had to wait even longer because the company made more money off the more expensive versions. Then there is the EU 30,000 deliveries than need to occur. In this country you also have the CARB states which might get a priority. Will have to wait and see what happens. I happen to be a in CARB state but in a very small town and would not be surprised if my arrival is delayed. I can wait.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
I talked to a salesman at a local Ford dealership today; he said that his dealership was only allocated four Mach-Es so far, due to arrive in the late fall, and they are already sold (or accounted for via deposits). He says that they haven't been able to get a dealership Mach-E allocated for demo purposes yet, and is worried that it could be some time before they can get one because the demand seems so strong right now. This is a dealership that has sold a lot of PHEV Fords in the past, so it sounds like they are very "up" on EVs, and told me that they are very prepared to sell, support, and service the Mach-E at this particular dealership.

Other BEV and PHEV makers are having big problems with battery supplies, and cannot make enough vehicles to supply demand in some cases -- and I wonder if Ford is going to have this problem with strong demand for the Mach-E this first year or two.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I talked to a salesman at a local Ford dealership today; he said that his dealership was only allocated four Mach-Es so far, due to arrive in the late fall, and they are already sold (or accounted for via deposits). He says that they haven't been able to get a dealership Mach-E allocated for demo purposes yet, and is worried that it could be some time before they can get one because the demand seems so strong right now. This is a dealership that has sold a lot of PHEV Fords in the past, so it sounds like they are very "up" on EVs, and told me that they are very prepared to sell, support, and service the Mach-E at this particular dealership.

Other BEV and PHEV makers are having big problems with battery supplies, and cannot make enough vehicles to supply demand in some cases -- and I wonder if Ford is going to have this problem with strong demand for the Mach-E this first year or two.
I would hope NO dealership would be allotted more (for immediate sale, rather than demo) than they have reservations for until all the customers with reservations are filled. That would mean some people in line are getting leapfrogged.

But how the demos (if any) will work is a big question. Are they really gonna tie up thousands of vehicles so that every dealership with a customer reservation gets one to test drive? I would kinda hope they'd share a limited number of them around the country, and schedule demos for those with reservations. But that would require a lot of tricky logistics to move demo cars around and schedule reservation customers though.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
According to Ford, every EV sales certified dealer in the U.S. will have at least one Mustang Mach-E for test drives.

My only question on that is the timing -- they're saying they'll have the test drive units by late 2020, but it sounds like we'll be able to order the cars (through the dealers) prior to that point. That kinda stinks, if we have to make a non-refundable order deposit.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
Well, I suppose that you could put a deposit down and have a Mach-E arrive without seeing one in person prior to that -- and after a test drive, you could decide not to buy it. I, for one, want to see one, sit in it, and drive it before I decide to buy, and I won't be putting a deposit down on any BEV with so many other neat BEVs coming out in the next year or so until I have been able to test-drive what I buy first.
Sponsored