Did 2.4.2 cause me to tap someone today?

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium, van down by the river
Occupation
it plumber, auto detailer
Country flag
  • Banned
Last month I recieved 2.4.2.

'We heard what you had to say and we took action. The brake pedal feel is modified to allow for smoother braking'

I've driven the car a few times since then, I've been remote and went in this week. Today on the parkway I tapped someone in traffic around 5-10mph.

I can blame myself for not understanding the braking feel, but I went pretty hard. Also interesting, auto-braking came in, albeit late, and I tapped someone around 5-10mph.

Wasn't going too aggressive, was in the middle lane and actually let out early.

Has anyone had a situation where 2.4.2 'smoother' braking caused something like this?

I would have thought even if I wasn't used to the less grippy feel of the braking, auto-brake, which is on, enabled, and set to take action didn't apply a hard enough brake.... I kind of don't mind how smooth the brake is if it's an emergency situation.

Now I owe someone a CX5 bumper because my 'smart' car with auto-braking enabled at a moderate / take action pace didn't notice traffic came to a halt as fast as I could.

Not complaining, just... perhaps don't put as much faith in auto-braking as I did for unpredictable situations such as parkway traffic.

It being pretty conservative and freaking out when others were making turns in the past I guess lulled me into following too close.

Beware of 2.4.2... if you were used to the bit of 'grip' moderate braking gave (maybe 75%) it's not there anymore.

EDIT: Wasn't all bad, saw someone driving a black Mach-E with really nice rims after.
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
If you already had your foot on the brake, but just not hard enough to stop in time, I'm not sure that's a situation where the collision warning / auto-braking would come into action?
I thought those were emergency features for when the car sees something coming up fast, and the driver's foot had *not yet* reached for the brake pedal.

But, agreed with what you said about the "smoother" braking changes. It definitely took getting used to the difference after I had that update applied.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
i haven’t experienced anything post-2.4.2 that would point to it being to blame for something like this. Or a earthchanging difference after the update anyway. Behavior is now more normal rather than the terrible grabby brake action we were originally subjected to.

OP
OP
idkhow

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
  • Banned
But, agreed with what you said about the "smoother" braking changes. It definitely took getting used to the difference after I had that update applied.
Agreed, I would have thought auto-brake, which is set to take action and 'moderate' IIRC would havre clamped the brakes, like it used to - sometimes accidentally when passing someone taking a turn.

I can only blame myself for not mashing the brake pedal earlier, but I did realize after, AEB doesn't help when I'm already trying to brake (and not well adjusted to the smoother brakes) but clamps up when it sees something.

It did alert and activate, although after I tapped the bumper. I just need to put less faith and re-learn the brakes. I never thought about AEB not assisting with brake pressure until now, and it makes sense.

No one to be pissed at myself, I just didn't notice this much of a change in the need for a complete stop. A zipper merge essentially stopped and I did my best, but wasn't adjusted to 2.4.2 enough it seems.

OP
OP
idkhow

idkhow

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bateman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
  • Banned
i haven’t experienced anything post-2.4.2 that would point to it being to blame for something like this. Or a earthchanging difference after the update anyway. Behavior is now more normal rather than the terrible grabby brake action we were originally subjected to.
I oddly think that's what I became used to over the last 8+ months, especially for situations like this.

Noticed today after trying 50% brakes didn't really "grab" when on a steep decline.

I need to relearn the brakes on this thing. Someone mentioned the AEB doesn't really help once you're trying to brake, and don't think I applied enough pressure.

I screwed up, but just was wondering if anyone else had such a change of the feel of the brakes.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
I was one of the louder voices complaining about the crappy brakes. Originally impossible to low-speed modulate to a stop. My hat is off to you if you mastered that behavior. ;) I had a easier time managing my road racing cars with cold brakes than the MME.

2.4.2 didn’t seem to affect brake force or effectiveness for me. Just made them feel more like any other vehicle I’ve ever driven.
Sponsored