MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
In the US at least, and I imagine Canada has similar rules, you can't be denied warranty coverage for not doing service through a dealer.

Also, OASIS doesn't show service history for maintenance items. It only shows service for warranty items. Ford has very little insight into your vehicles maintenance history unless you go through QuickLane and it's in their records, but checking that isn't part of warranty claims.
If you read the fine print of most warranties, as long as you can show that you documented the service, they cannot deny a claim. I know that some 3rd party extended warranties require all service by a certified mechanic and others simply require proof of service. For the latter, this can be done by you. Save the receipts for the parts and simply document the date of what you did. I will do my own 10K service. I can rotate a tire and I am pretty comfortable doing the multi point inspection, which is not that intricate or complex. I am going to create an Excel file and document that I rotated the tires and did my own multi point inspection. I will put a date of when it was done and any comments. I am now covered. Will do the same for the other services up to the point that only the dealer can do the work, which will be at 150,000 miles or 10 years. Ford is not going to get my money to have some $150 an hour mechanic spend five minutes (and charge me for 30 minutes) to look at the car's fluid levels and hoses and say, "yep all good".
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
You lost me at “scan the keys”?

OP
OP
kdonnel

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
You lost me at “scan the keys”?
I handed her the keys so she could open the door to scan the VIN. There is a barcode on the tire and loading sticker on the door pillar.

EasyPass

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I wanted to use my Ford Pass points so I opted to take the car to the dealer for the first service.

I refuse to return to my purchase dealer because of my purchase experience. My goal is to never give that dealer anymore money.

There is a different dealer that is across the street from my office so I made an appointment.

I arrived and was greeted by the service writer. I handed her the keys as she needed to scan the VIN and get the mileage.

She had no idea how to open the door. Strike one.

She insisted I needed more than a tire rotation and multipoint inspection. Strike two.

It was not until another service writer came over to explain that there was no oil to change that she completed checking the car in for service.

The service departments don’t appear to be ready to service the cars Ford sells.
"All generalizations are false......including this one." -- Mark Twain.

Not all dealers are clueless regarding servicing EVs. I took my MME in for it's 10k checkup in August, and everything was handled professionally from start to finish by the dealer where I acquired the vehicle. I got a major Sync and System update/upgrade as well including Blue Cruise. The check-in tech even jokingly asked me if I "wanted an oil change with that" (including an intentional wink). I tried to use my FordPass Points for the visit, but nothing was applicable. My final bill consisted of only an annual mandatory State Safety Inspection and nothing more. I seem to be getting OTAs regularly now where before it was in some kind of funk, stuck at a point where no updates were arriving. All good now......☝

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
"All generalizations are false......including this one." -- Mark Twain.

Not all dealers are clueless regarding servicing EVs. I took my MME in for it's 10k checkup in August, and everything was handled professionally from start to finish by the dealer where I acquired the vehicle. I got a major Sync and System update/upgrade as well including Blue Cruise. The check-in tech even jokingly asked me if I "wanted an oil change with that" (including an intentional wink). I tried to use my FordPass Points for the visit, but nothing was applicable. My final bill consisted of only an annual mandatory State Safety Inspection and nothing more. I seem to be getting OTAs regularly now where before it was in some kind of funk, stuck at a point where no updates were arriving. All good now......☝
Like everything in life, there is always some good and bad out there. I am a service advisor for another brand and do the same thing when our electric customers come in. The first couple times went fine, and then I had a customer who said what do you mean you are just kidding and you are not going to change the oil. It was a little awkward at first since I started laughing like they were kidding too, but then realized I had to explain why we were not going to be changing the oil on their BEV because they were dead serious.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
It wouldn’t bother me even a little bit that a service write didn’t know something because I’ll tell them exactly what they need to know. No one should ever go into a service garage not knowing exactly what they need/want.

The less work the dealership does on your car the better in my opinion. My ford dealership is quite literally the only dealership that has not broken anything on one of my car while it was there. Granted, all they had to do was re-flash the shifter module.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I guess I’m just fortunate. I live in a rural midwestern area where diesel pickups outnumber EVs 100 to 1. I have the first Mach-E here (there are now 2).

My service experience has been exceptional. They know what they’re doing. When I have an appointment for anything, I know their EV tech will be available. They’ve always installed needed updates, including getting BC activated on the first try. My windshield/roof recall was flawlessly executed. 10K service cost me $14 for the tire rotation and I was given a copy of the completed inspection check list.

I guess I just wanted to say that it’s not all doom and gloom out there. Bad dealers need to be called out, for sure, but it’s only fair to give props to the good ones.
I was one of the first few MME sales at my dealer and they have had a steep learning curve with MME software but... they have learned a lot.

agree not doom and gloom... but it is a lot more fun to complain!

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Glad they got your HVBJB fixed up (assuming Magic City was able to?). They've been fine with my normal maintenance and have actually done it all for free for me (since I purchased from there), including state inspection. I ordered another keyfob from the service bulletin and it finally arrived today, guy called and said it'd be late december before they could program it and they won't let me do it myself (I already have two fobs). I hinted that I understood they needed to process it through Ford for reimbursement and that I wouldn't bat an eye if they faked it, but he wasn't having that haha
Yes, Magic City was the dealer that finally fixed my HVBJB, I talked with their EV tech a few times and he seems great. They are also doing the service tomorrow. It’s good to hear they have taken care of you. My key 2nd fob came in a few weeks ago so I waited to go back for my 40k service since I was close to that mileage when the fob arrived and I use PAAK anyway.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Being that there is oil that is used in the planetary gear sets and for motor cooling, it’s possible that for at least one service oil will need to be changed. Of course, I believe the service interval is > 100K miles. 🤪🐩
I.e., for Greg (@SnBGC) it's right around the corner!

JWW

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
83 Mustang GLX, 21 Mach-e FE, 22 Lighting Lariat
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
I too had issues with service at my dealer. First they insisted that the key in my new fob had a purpose and needed to be cut. Then at the 10k mark they insisted that I needed the oil changed in my electric motor . I was afraid to tell them I had two motors!

Now I take the vehicles to another dealer for service, but I still bought my Lightning thru them, no ADM and they accepted A plan.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I handed her the keys so she could open the door to scan the VIN. There is a barcode on the tire and loading sticker on the door pillar.
Wow! They scan the VIN? At my dealer they use a quill pen to write the VIN on the parchment order form - in triplicate 😀

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Like everything in life, there is always some good and bad out there. I am a service advisor for another brand and do the same thing when our electric customers come in. The first couple times went fine, and then I had a customer who said what do you mean you are just kidding and you are not going to change the oil. It was a little awkward at first since I started laughing like they were kidding too, but then realized I had to explain why we were not going to be changing the oil on their BEV because they were dead serious.
It's totally understandable that non-owners may not understand what an electric vehicle means. But to drive one, and think that you have an engine with oil in it, is inexcusable. There is one, and only one reason - stupidity.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Didn’t get a warm fuzzy feeling dropping my car off for the 10000 mile service Carlin stupid people

Darkenmage

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT AWDe and Honda Insight
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
WTH is a 10,000 mile service for the ME anyway? service what?

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Just took our MME back to local dealer for second time for a aggravating left rear door rattle that they cannot figure out. Neither the service writer or the technician who came out to get the car knew how to open the doors. I would not think that working on the door would be EV centric but who knows.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag