Didn’t get a warm fuzzy feeling dropping my car off for the 10000 mile service

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Stupid question: is the 10k “service” just a tire rotation?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yup - all service intervals are fully described in the manual.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
Looking at the description of the 10,000 mile maintenance (and subsequent services for that matter), I'm not sure why I'd be inclined to incur the expense and inconvenience of having someone "inspect" my MME. The tire rotations I'll have performed for free at America's Tire.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
An EV-Certified Ford dealer is supposed to have an EV-Certified tech. From reading the forum, it seems that some dealers split a tech’s time with another dealer, making the EV tech a part-time worker at each dealer. I am not sure of the requirements for service writers. They probably are none. 🤷‍♂️🐩

My car was dropped off at a dealer’s service department yesterday morning, first thing. Not sure if they had to have their EV tech service my seats or not. The car is still being worked on. 🤔🐩

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Final verdict.

They get a C+.

I dropped it off at 8:30 and got a call I could come pick it up at 9:45. I forgot my lunch so was thinking I would have to Uber Eats or Doordash so them getting it done quickly was great.

They did not check for any outstanding recalls so I still have the HVBJB recall pending despite it having been applied. I could have asked them but that would have probably delayed picking up my car and caused lunch issues.

As for cost it was $30.92 for a tire rotation and multi point inspection. They deducted 6184 Ford Pass points leaving me with 15816 remaining. That should be enough to pay for the next 2.5 tire rotations.

I won't have them replace the cabin air filter and will do that myself as I expect the markup will be dramatic.
I would have had so much fun with this. If she was saying an oil change was due I would have let her write that up. I just wish I would have been able to see the tech go up to her and "discuss" how stupid that was and then the parts counter would be calling her telling her the same thing. That would be a lot more educational than anything you could do.

In regards to the recall, My car got that update OTA, but it still took Ford several months before it cleared from the recall list. That may have been the same on this example, but the service writer should have checked the open recalls and put that down as an item to do on the repair order. Even when they do a recall on site, the recall will not clear from the Ford system until the warranty administrator seeks payment for the recall, which usually takes 3 to 5 days after the customer picks up the car from service.

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
Looking at the description of the 10,000 mile maintenance (and subsequent services for that matter), I'm not sure why I'd be inclined to incur the expense and inconvenience of having someone "inspect" my MME. The tire rotations I'll have performed for free at America's Tire.
Same. I never did any maintenance after 130k+ miles across two Bolts. The only "required" maintenance was a coolant flush at 150k (MME says 200k). The rest is rotate, cabin filter, and inspections. Then brake fluid every 3 years. Everything can be done at home. The whole point of an EV is to avoid maintenance but they push you to come in like an ICE.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Tire rotation and inspection are a waste of time in my opinion. At least in dealer.

OP
OP
kdonnel

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
Tire rotation and inspection are a waste of time in my opinion. At least in dealer.
I went to the dealer for two reasons:

1. Convenience.
The dealer is walking distance to work so I don't have to spend anytime just sitting waiting on the work to be done or bother my wife to help drop off and pick up the car.

2. Cost.
I wanted to use up the 22000 Ford Pass points before they expire. It is my understanding that if no activity occurs, the points expire after 365 days. Otherwise I would have held onto them until the brake fluid maintenance at 3 years.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I do my tires at Discount Tire (which is America's Tire). I will go to my dealer for the inspection, because they are supposed to inspect components in the frunk area, look for leaks, low fluids, etc. Few customers are qualified to do that. I will of course make sure it's an EV certified mechanic.

I went to the dealer for two reasons:

1. Convenience.
The dealer is walking distance to work so I don't have to spend anytime just sitting waiting on the work to be done or bother my wife to help drop off and pick up the car.

2. Cost.
I wanted to use up the 22000 Ford Pass points before they expire. It is my understanding that if no activity occurs, the points expire after 365 days. Otherwise I would have held onto them until the brake fluid maintenance at 3 years.
Yes, there must be ACTIVITY or the points expire. What's activity? A deposit of points, or a withdrawal of points. Prior to the points being recast as FordPass points, mine were expiring. I bought a bolt and a washer for $1.04 plus tax, and got another year. And, before my remaining points expired, I used them to buy my 2022. My dealer didn't deduct them (except on the invoice), so I have nearly $19 in unused points, plus the 22,000 I got for buying the 2022, and I have until mid-May 2023 to have some activity, which should be the 10,000 mile inspection. Or, if I have to have service on my 2013 F-150, I'll use them then.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I second that. I’ve been thinking about switching to a Nissan or Chevy dealer for service because they’ve had EV’s for quite some time now… would have loved to keep it with Ford but really depends how my next apt goes tomorrow because it’s a different dealership than I used before and they were actually able to fix my HVBJB so hopefully they can service and install tires too!

My reluctance of going to a different dealer or regular garage is the lift points issue, Ford has special attachments to their lift that makes it much safer, although a competent shop could probably figure it out.

Getting a basic EV service or tow shouldn’t be a scary experience… oh well, “opportunities”
Glad they got your HVBJB fixed up (assuming Magic City was able to?). They've been fine with my normal maintenance and have actually done it all for free for me (since I purchased from there), including state inspection. I ordered another keyfob from the service bulletin and it finally arrived today, guy called and said it'd be late december before they could program it and they won't let me do it myself (I already have two fobs). I hinted that I understood they needed to process it through Ford for reimbursement and that I wouldn't bat an eye if they faked it, but he wasn't having that haha

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Being that there is oil that is used in the planetary gear sets and for motor cooling, it’s possible that for at least one service oil will need to be changed. Of course, I believe the service interval is > 100K miles. 🤪🐩

jznd400

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT Grabber Blue
Country flag
I just brought my GT in last week to my selling dealer. The service experience was very good and improved from my HVBJB experience, when Ford had to jump in but then the dealer responded quickly. They had a Lightning up front waiting for delivery so I think they are getting better as they sell more EVs.

I had gotten a "powertrain malfunction/reduced power warning" and had a sticky e-brake that didn't release until 4 restarts. The service manager knew the EV guy was off the next day and got my car in and fixed within 6 hours the same day. (Software update that couldn't be delivered OTA and rerouting the ebrake lines.)

I was nearly at 10k miles so he asked if I wanted the service done - at no charge. He looked at my account and said I was covered for the first 4 services. I'm wondering if that was a freebie tossed in by Ford when the HVBJB problem happened.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
<snip>

My reluctance of going to a different dealer or regular garage is the lift points issue, Ford has special attachments to their lift that makes it much safer, although a competent shop could probably figure it out.

</snip>
This is the only reason I will specifically go to Ford for winter / summer tire swaps.
Sponsored