Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
All good points. People I know who live in the city/ are apartment dwellers have a serious hurdle regarding charging. If we were being serious about wide spread adoption, we would be subsidizing level 2 charging on almost every city block, and in every public garage/parking lot. But, we aren't.
I like how you worded it. You used the word "we" rather than "they". I think the WE part is also important to consider. If WE do not want to personally have to pay for anything via increases in our own taxes, WE cannot complain if legislation does not spend even MORE money on things we'd like it to, e.g. also do Level 2 charging infrastructure, and also provide incentives for all EVs, and also provide incentives for wealthiest people (above $150k is top 5%).
Sponsored

Koomloddi

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e Premium AWD, 2017 F150 XLT
Country flag
Government ā€œhelpā€ never helps the consumer. In Florida we get a sales tax credit equal to the trade in amount, of course only when you go to the dealer. The dealers know it and always try to show it in the numbers like itā€™s a discount they gave you. Ford, like all car manufacturers is rotten to the core. Ford will take any opportunity out to screw you , just like their dealers do.

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

Robd510

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD Standard Range (Black)
Occupation
Recording Artist
Country flag
I donā€™t understand how households who make over $300k a year complain about losing a $7500 tax credit when buying a $80K+ Truck.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT
Country flag
I donā€™t understand how households who make over $300k a year complain about losing a $7500 tax credit when buying a $80K+ Truck.
I don't understand how you don't understand that. Do you think if I make $301k and my neighbor makes $298k, he should get a credit and I shouldn't? Certain people should get a better deal on something if they stretch themselves thinner? It makes no sense to me.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Problem is, if someone making $100k wants to buy an $80k+ truck they wonā€™t get the rebate either since the cap on trucks is $80k. Itā€™s basically killed the Lightning for me for now because itā€™s not worth it to be both priced up on the price increase that now also puts my planned Lightning order into the mid $80k range. So no rebate and higher truck price means $15,500 more expensive Lightning than it would have cost me two weeks ago.

So Iā€™ll probably just hang onto our PowerBoost F-150 which I love anyway and my wifeā€™s MME gets built this week, finally, and we will just drive that more.

Robd510

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD Standard Range (Black)
Occupation
Recording Artist
Country flag
I don't understand how you don't understand that. Do you think if I make $301k and my neighbor makes $298k, he should get a credit and I shouldn't? Certain people should get a better deal on something if they stretch themselves thinner? It makes no sense to me.
In that scenario it makes total sense. I guess what I donā€™t understand is how one could make that much money and feel like $7500 will make a huge difference in their financials long term. I get that its not fair that some qualify and others do not. What Iā€™m saying is, if my wife and I brought home $25k a month combined we wouldnā€™t be hurting over a $1200 payment vs a $1400 payment. If we didnā€™t bring home that much money, then we would simply shop for a cheaper truck and not stretch ourselves thin. Just some thoughts. Iā€™m not here to be wrong or right, just trying to open a conversation.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
This has nothing to do with the tax credit and everything to do with the price of raw materials, the competition for the rare earth and precious metals used in the electric motors and batteries, and the general increase of price in everything as a raw material to them gets passed to us.

Blaming it on an act that just got signed this week is the narrative that certain news outlets want you to buy into to vote for their party next cycle. It has everything to do with the reality of COVID supply chain issues, reduced labor forces, and costs of raw materials.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In that scenario it makes total sense. I guess what I donā€™t understand is how one could make that much money and feel like $7500 will make a huge difference in their financials long term. I get that its not fair that some qualify and others do not. What Iā€™m saying is, if my wife and I brought home $25k a month combined we wouldnā€™t be hurting over a $1200 payment vs a $1400 payment. If we didnā€™t bring home that much money, then we would simply shop for a cheaper truck and not stretch ourselves thin. Just some thoughts. Iā€™m not here to be wrong or right, just trying to open a conversation.
It's not about "hurting" or whether it makes a "huge difference in your financials". Just because someone makes more money doesn't mean they wanna just piss away $7500 of it while people making a little less get it for free.

I don't understand how anyone can think they wouldn't care about the $7500, when others get it. Of course they care.

nitinkumar00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep, Mach e
Country flag
Companies are just abusing the inflation now. I mean all these supply chain companies. I wanna see their profit margin. It seems like all this is a stupid excuse now to make more. I can guarantee at some point people are just going to stop buying as much and then we get recession. People should do they faster than normal. Just get it over with to kill the demand

Anvina72

First Name
Anjani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E
Country flag
It's not about "hurting" or whether it makes a "huge difference in your financials". Just because someone makes more money doesn't mean they wanna just piss away $7500 of it while people making a little less get it for free.

I don't understand how anyone can think they wouldn't care about the $7500, when others get it. Of course they care.
Similar thing happened with stimulus.. someone making 200K don't get anything while someone making 150K gets 10K in total and in the process the guy who didnt get anything also paid 15K more in taxes

Klhoush

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RWD Premium
Country flag
Ford doesnā€™t even qualify for the new tax credits on their EVs cause battery material is sourced from China
The MME and Transit batteries are made by LG in Poland. LG is a South Korean company.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
The MME and Transit batteries are made by LG in Poland. LG is a South Korean company.
I guarantee you the entire supply chain of battery materials is not from South Korea.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I guarantee you the entire supply chain of battery materials is not from South Korea.
Yep. For the car itself, it's about where it's assembled. But for the batteries, where it's assembled doesn't matter, just where the source materials come from.

Although it doesn't have to be the entire supply chain. It starts at 40% from approved countries and goes up each year. And even though Korea is a qualifying country (free trade agreement with the US), the materials can come from any country we have a free trade agreement with. Which includes Australia and Chile that do produce some of those raw materials. But whether it's enough to reach the 40% starting trigger is anyone's guess at this point.

There's also a total exclusion list of countries (like China) where no materials can come from (and China is the biggie for most batteries). But that requirement doesn't start until 2024.

There's a chance some Ford models could still qualify in 2023, but looks like a fairly small chance.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Let's be honest here and call this post what it is, absolutely ignorant of people's personal situations.

Location and related cost of living including housing impacts, how many children they have impacts, age of children and child care expenses impacts, how much tax liability a person has impacts, self employed and higher personal taxes impacts, etc etc etc.

You don't understand it but that doesn't invalidate their concerns or their desire to not have missed out on a situation that could have made a decision to purchase such an expensive vehicle more tenable.
Sponsored