James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mustang mach e
Occupation
auto tech
Country flag
Come on guys. Tax credit of 7.5k and price increase of 7.5k. if one of the other OEMs did this, we would have a huge thread on it.
then buy a leaf and get out our river
Sponsored

Southern92

First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW i3
Country flag
I'm probably the last reservation holder for F-150 Lightning. I prefer the Mach-e, but the idea of being able to power my house from my vehicle convinced me to put in the reservation. But the way these price hikes are going, I might not be able to afford the darn thing when the call my number! (I figure late 2023 or 2024)!!!

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Ford lobbied for it. It wasn't so they would make less money.
Of course Ford lobbied for it. It drives up demand for their product and supports their plan to get heavily into EV's. Heck the bill hasn't even passed the house and/or been signed by president Biden yet.

Southern92

First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW i3
Country flag
I assume if Ford had released updated pricing for Mach-e there would be a thread? So why the F-150 specifically?

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Of course Ford lobbied for it. It drives up demand for their product and supports their plan to get heavily into EV's. Heck the bill hasn't even passed the house and/or been signed by president Biden yet.
Increased demand with unchanged supply = higher prices. The extended credits are driving prices up.

With democrats controlling the house I don't think anyone is betting on this bill not being signed into law.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I assume if Ford had released updated pricing for Mach-e there would be a thread? So why the F-150 specifically?
I'm sure there will be when pricing is released (next week?).

MachEr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I was wavering on the Lightning. Figured I might get it and sell the Mach-E next year. If it's +$90k for a Lariat without rebate, I'm out.
Same.. its ridiculous.. the Lightning I want to order is now going to cost me $16k more.... (reserved during unveiling event and still haven't got invite to order)

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
They drank our milkshake.

Looks like the inflation reduction act just inflated the cost of a Lightning by about $7500.
That doesn't explain Ford raising the price of the MME multiple times last year.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I think it’s utter foley to blame a Lightning (or any other EV) price increase on the IRA when we are in the craziest supply/demand shitshow extant. Sure, if everything were going pre-2020 right now I could see connecting those dots, but, right now automaker variable cost increases are absolutely killing margins.

Here’s a price increase to really complain about, getting charged for something you may not want or ever use:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40850271/gm-extra-cost-onstar-option-mandatory/

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Come on guys. Tax credit of 7.5k and price increase of 7.5k. if one of the other OEMs did this, we would have a huge thread on it.
Tesla has raised all of their prices by similar amounts over the last year. Rivian has raised prices, GM raised the price of the Hummer. Many more will follow.

I have a Hummer reservation and had no expectation of a credit. My MSRP is locked in by GM, so I come out ahead in the long run.

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That doesn't explain Ford raising the price of the MME multiple times last year.
It doesn't have to. Multiple things can be true at one time. Demand was crazy in late 2021/early 2022. We're now in a correction and Ford raised the price of the Lightning significantly when other hot sellers are increasing less.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
A tax credit of 7.5k for the Lightning already existed, so I'm not sure how you can argue this is connected. Also in many cases the Lightning will no longer be eligible for any tax credit, so some folks will be paying 15k more than before. All it proves is that it is a sucky time to buy a new EV due to a confluence of factors, not some grand conspiracy.
Government pouring gasoline into inflation fire in that huge spending bill ironically named Inflation Reduction Act is not a conspiracy, it's a fact.
All EVs, those that qualify and those that don't will see price increases because the prices of their competitors go up, because prices of gas will go up, because prices of everything will go up.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
It’s no secret that these EV rebates go right back to the manufacturer. People love “discounts” though so it still works to sell cars.