Difficulty modulating brakes

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I have a GTPE, I'm not sure if it makes a difference as they have bigger brakes.
I find it really hard to modulate the brakes to come to a smooth stop. The brakes are really grabby.
Also the when traveling at highway speed, and needing to brake, but not slamming it, I find the transition from regenerative to mechanical brakes is pretty abrupt.
Also when using one pedal driving, the car would jerk at the very end of the stop, like a new driver. Its pretty annoying.

I've been driving for a long time and had many cars with high performance brembo brakes, and this is the first one that I'm having trouble modulating the brakes to stop smoothly.

Anyone else Mache brake the same way?
Sponsored

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger, Explorer, Chevelle, Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My Job1 Premium RWD is a little rougher coming to a complete stop and then taking back off again. Not bad, but different than an ICE car. I chalk it up to the auto brake (I run 1PD and auto all the time).
For what I've read on this forum, the regenerate breaking does almost all the stopping work under most circumstances. Even pushing the brake pedal just ratchets up the Regen. It takes a pretty hard stop to engage the pads. I haven't verified this, just what I've read on the forum.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Mine are the same on my job 1 Premium 4X. I think there is an update that is supposed to smooth out the brakes more but I think itā€™s a dealer update not OTA(not 100% sure). Iā€™ve just gotten used to it.

Tulsaboog

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Urologist
Country flag
Kyle talks about this in Out of Spec Reviews. His main complaint is that last minute engagement of the friction brakes that causes that sudden catch at the end. Since these brakes are drive by wire, the hope is a future OTA update can smooth it out.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Kyle talks about this in Out of Spec Reviews. His main complaint is that last minute engagement of the friction brakes that causes that sudden catch at the end. Since these brakes are drive by wire, the hope is a future OTA update can smooth it out.
I have the update thatā€™s supposed to smooth out the brakes, but I donā€™t really notice a difference. Iā€™m used to it, so itā€™s not a big deal for me. But I drove my wifeā€™s RAV4 Prime for a while yesterday, and Iā€™ve gotta say, that thing brakes so much smoother than the MME. The transition from regenerative to friction brakes is completely imperceptible in the Prime, and I was looking for it. When the MME transitions to friction brakes, I can tell every time with the change in feel and low speed grinding noise. I think Ford still has some work to do with the blended braking system.

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger, Explorer, Chevelle, Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I haven't had the dealer update installed, it's not that much of a concern to me. My rotors always have a coating of surface rust as well due to the low use of friction brakes (and FL humidity). I wonder how much that factors into perceived roughness during stops. I've taken to doing what others on this forum have suggested and switching into neutral once and awhile just to force friction usage.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Would this ā€œbrake beddingā€ procedure for breaking in the pads and rotors help? Iā€™ve read about it on this forum but have never done that for any car Iā€™ve owned.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have a GTPE, I'm not sure if it makes a difference as they have bigger brakes.
I find it really hard to modulate the brakes to come to a smooth stop. The brakes are really grabby.
Also the when traveling at highway speed, and needing to brake, but not slamming it, I find the transition from regenerative to mechanical brakes is pretty abrupt.
Also when using one pedal driving, the car would jerk at the very end of the stop, like a new driver. Its pretty annoying.

I've been driving for a long time and had many cars with high performance brembo brakes, and this is the first one that I'm having trouble modulating the brakes to stop smoothly.

Anyone else Mache brake the same way?
Did you just get the car?
My brakes were touchy when I first got mine and after a little while it was pretty good. I figured they just needed to wear in or something. Never gave it much thought for the next 34k miles.

Then the dealer attempted the BC update (unsuccessfully). When I got the car back, the brakes were awful. The transition from regen to friction was super grabby and very disturbing. It was really bad the first day, so much that I seriously considered selling the car. I was losing sleep over it actually. The second day was improved and it continued to improve the more I drove it. After 250 miles it seems about the way I remember it.

The service agent says the ABS module was reprogrammed so it might need to be driven to recalibrate the blending to friction brakes. I always take things a service agent says with a grain of salt so.....???

Maybe I just forgot how to drive for a couple of days and then figured it out again? Possible I guess....

All I know is it sucked for a full day. Got better over the course of the second day and 3rd day is normal. Took me about 250 miles to work through it.

Weird.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
My brakes are fine. GT, Regular Edition.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't like 1PD so I never use it, but I do like some regen slowing via the accelerator pedal, so I drive it in "L" gear full-time (Whisper + L). That way regen does most of the slowing and I usually only need the brake pedal for the final stopping. By then, it doesn't take much friction braking and I can usually apply it quite smoothly. Once in a great while I still feel an extra jerk in the transition, but it's rare now.

OP
OP

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I have over 2k miles on the car. Sometimes it wouldn't jerk much, but most of the time, it reminds me of a new student driver. It's pretty annoying. I can't even modulate it. If I press the brakes too lightly, the brakes would jitter, if I press a little harder, it would grab and cause the accompanying jerk.

Pretty annoying. Can't believe Ford can't get this right. It's not like brakes are a new thing.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I would suggest taking it to the dealer and having it looked at. I have a GT-PE and am not having any braking issues. I did bed my pads in when I took my car out on the initial run at the dealership, though. The sales guy riding with me wasnā€™t enthused about that. šŸ˜œšŸ©
Sponsored