Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I was able to get some external dimensions of the car today at the NE Auto Show. These are estimated since I had only a tape measure, 6ft folding ruler and had to eyeball everything. This thread will become a Wiki Thread later on so more measured dimensions by other users and confirmed answers from our Q&A list can be added to this first post. This will make it easier to find all of the information on the Mach-E.

I was not able to get access to the inside of the vehicle today so no internal dimensions or pictures of different size cups in the cup holders.

Please note that the GT tire sizes is 235/45 R20 which has an outside diameter of 28.35 inches.

Update (1/18/20):
@MadScientist from the UK was able to get a few dimensions of the trunk (boot) when he had a chance to see the Mach-E in person. I have added that information below. To be honest I am very disappointed in the dimensions. My current car a Civic Hatchback is longer and slightly narrower. I have also included a hatchback and liftbacks for reference:

VW ID.3 (via Autogefühl Youtube review) Note: Mach-E is over 18 inches longer)
To Back Seat: 31.5 inches (80 cm)
Well to Well: 39.4 inches (100 cm)

VW Arteon (which is 5 inches longer than the Mach-E)
To Back Seat: 46 inches (116.8 cm)
To Front Seat: 78 inches (198 cm)
Well to Well: 39.4 inches (100 cm)

2017 Honda Civic Hatchback (my current car & 8 inches shorter):
To Back Seat: 36.5 inches (92.7 cm)
Well to Well: 40.5 inches (102.9 cm)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dimensions and Q&A at the New England International Auto Show (update with Trunk size dims) Trunk Size.PNG

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dimensions and Q&A at the New England International Auto Show (update with Trunk size dims) measured dims
Ford Mustang Mach-E Dimensions and Q&A at the New England International Auto Show (update with Trunk size dims) measured dims 2
Ford Mustang Mach-E Dimensions and Q&A at the New England International Auto Show (update with Trunk size dims) measured dims 3

Last edited:
OP
OP

Salant76

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Below is what I have for Q&A info for now. Please note that on two of the questions the answers have been replaced by notes. Once that information has been confirmed it can be changed to Answers. Hopefully a lot of these answers and requested dimensions can be updated by the NYC Auto Show in April.

Question: Do the side mirrors tilt down in reverse?
Answer:

Question: Can the driver screen show navigation data?
Note: Most likely not. Ford reps said driving info (speed, charge, status lights, etc.) will be displayed on the smaller driver screen. Navigation will be shown on the larger 15 inch center screen. After seeing the screen in person it is not very tall so little information could be displayed.

Question: When will the ev certified dealers be trained on the mach e?
Answer:

Question: Does the Mach-E has front fog lamps?
Answer: No per user 1pt21Gigawatts

Question: Will the panoramic glass roof has retractable cloth sunshades?
Answer: No per user 1pt21Gigawatts

Question: Will/Can there be accessory power to the frunk area?
Answer:

Question: What are the effects of cold weather on the EV range?
Answer:

Question: Will a factory hitch be available in USA as it will be in Europe? Any updates on what is the towing capacity and GVWR?
Answer:

Question: Can the rear doors be opened manually in the event of power loss?
Answer: yes, super capacitors in doors allow opening in case of complete power loss for long time. Manual release also Actuated by pulling back all the way on internal latches. Frunk power jumper access also available to recharge 12V. per user 1pt21Gigawatts

Question: Is the cargo cover removable?
Answer: Yes per user 1pt21Gigawatts

Question: When will the complete options list and pricing be available for all the models?
Answer: Ford reps answered this spring which could mean not until June.

Question: How will the regenerative braking work. Will it have varying levels of regen or just a standard setting. (Some prefer very aggressive regen to enhance one pedal driving).
Answer: Two settings, talked about in Ron Heiser interview. Regen can be heavy or soft, and changes with drive mode (heavy for unbridled). per user 1pt21Gigawatts

Question: Any more detals on Fast Charging network? I.E. Free Electrify America for 2 years. Cost per KWH?
Answer: access is for charging network subscriptions only, charging itself is not included including both session cost and per KWH per user 1pt21Gigawatts

Question: When will EPA range estimates be available?
Note: The EPA estimates will be updated but not time frame.

Question: What plans are there for additional colors or stripes/accents
Answer:

Question: What battery capacity is reserved? (80% usable?)
Answer:

Question: Can we expect to have efficiency improved or more range unlocked via OTA update in the future?
Answer:

Question: Is the DCFC rate ever going to be increased or is the 150kW based on wiring sizes?
Answer:

Question: Will Select models be able to upgrade their wheels during Spring 2020 when the dealers call?
Answer:

Question: Are there plans to have heated seats and steering wheel as an option on the Select model?
Answer:

Question: Any detail info on charging curve?
Note: The reps at the Auto Show said they have it. Didn't give any details

Question: When will production of the Mach-E begin and when will the first vehicles be delivered?
Answer: Speaking of production....the presentation said explicitly that the first vehicle (Job #1) would be built on 20 June 2020, followed by first shipments in September, with delivers of First Editions in October/November 2020. This was in the UK but we were told there was no preference over European and USA orders. per BlackheathDigg

OP
OP

Salant76

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Please see my updated message from above on the trunk size provided by user MadScientist.

The trunk size is a little underwhelming.

Scott

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Please see my updated message from above on the trunk size provided by user MadScientist.

The trunk size is a little underwhelming.

Scott
That's actually slightly bigger than I was expecting. I thought it would be a few inches narrower just from the look of the shape on the outside.

That's just a hair bigger than my Escape. It's 40.5" wide, and 33" deep at the center (30" on the sides because of the curve). But virtually the same. Except for height, of course. While it has nearly the same footprint, the hatch is much lower on the Mach-e than the Escape, accounting for the roughly 5 cu ft less rear cargo space. (Offset by the nearly 5 cu ft in the frunk though.)

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
One last question if you get the opportunity! Do the rear seats fold flat and flush with the trunk so you can lay a bed across for EV camping like in Tesla?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The only pic I'm finding on the rear seats folded down is here, which suggests they don't fold flat and level (at least at first). The rear cargo floor is sunken down on the Mach-e compared to (for example) the Escape which does fold flat and level.

However, I think I read somewhere that that rear floor panel can be raised up flush. I can't find the source for that now, so I'm not 100% sure. But it does look like there's tabs on that picture for the panel to be raised up flush.

Even then though, not sure those rear seats fold down totally flat. They look a little angled in that shot. Might just need to be pushed down. But even a little angle is probably OK as a camping bed.

https://www.automobiledimension.com/models/ford/mustang-mach-e-2020

ford-mustang-mach-e-2020-boot.jpg

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Here is a side view. It’s not all the way flat.
725F1BE3-F5E5-4CD4-B678-D77E678DB73E.jpeg

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Yeah. I think they raised them for the extended range pack which has a bump under the rear seat. Don’t think it can lay flat. Bummer. Wonder if model y will.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I wonder if it's possible to raise that rear floor panel just in the front and not in the back, such that it could be inline with the rear seats for one continuous plane, but all at the same angle? Sleeping on a slight angle isn't bad (in fact my bed does that - helps alleviate headaches by having my head raised a little relative to my feet).

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I know most of out hard earned will end up going towards the cost of the batteries but for a 60k car I really wish we would get a 40,20,40 rear seat split, 60,40 is a bit low rent at this at this price range :(

With the batteries it may well be different but a common feature ford have done for ages (talking 30+ years) is the bottom half the rear seats are on a hinge at the front so and you can pull them up and tip the bench forward towards the back of the front seats which then allows the rear seats to fold flat, this is how it is on my Focus ST & RS.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Even better is just the seat folding down flat without that weird reverse seat flip sticking up and shortening the bed. I had a car that did that years ago (don't even remember which model). If the seat won't fold flat on it's own, that can sometimes be useful, but flat for the full length is way better. That's one of the things I love about my Escapes. Perfectly flat (and easy) fold-down for full length use.

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
With the batteries it may well be different but a common feature ford have done for ages (talking 30+ years) is the bottom half the rear seats are on a hinge at the front so and you can pull them up and tip the bench forward towards the back of the front seats which then allows the rear seats to fold flat, this is how it is on my Focus ST & RS.
Agreed! My '03 Focus ZX5 rear seats does this and very handy, able to swallow mountain bikes and 55 in. (in the box) flat-screen!!

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
That blue color looks kinda cool all polished up like that. Was kind of leaning towards the space white one.
Sponsored