Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
t15 torx and a layer of dynamat inside the speakers (I took out the one in the back too). It's just loud enough that I can make it out with the windows up when backing out of the driveway. So could the lady that just stopped and stood behind the car when I was trying to back out at Costco yesterday.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
All MMEs in existence have the backup beeping sound that plays through a speaker under the car. There is no law requiring EVs to have backup beeps.
While technically there is no law requiring backup beeps, there is a law that all cars in the US emit at least a specified minimum noise level in reverse and low forward speeds.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
All MMEs in existence have the backup beeping sound that plays through a speaker under the car. There is no law requiring EVs to have backup beeps.
My backup beeper speaker makes no sound. It is beautiful.

Arsenic17

First Name
Arsenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT 2023 Vapor Blue
Country flag
While technically there is no law requiring backup beeps, there is a law that all cars in the US emit at least a specified minimum noise level in reverse and low forward speeds.
In the US the EV noise law applies to manufacturers as far as I am aware. There is no specific traffic law that requires it. For example, EVs made before the noise law for manufacturers went into effect don't have to get aftermarket noise makers.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
In the US the EV noise law applies to manufacturers as far as I am aware. There is no specific traffic law that requires it. For example, EVs made before the noise law for manufacturers went into effect don't have to get aftermarket noise makers.
Codified in the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010. Whatever……

Arsenic17

First Name
Arsenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT 2023 Vapor Blue
Country flag
Yes I am sure, but to clarify, there is no law the requires EV owners to have the car emitting an audible noise. There is only a law that forces car manufacturers to have it installed and meeting certain guidelines. The same type of safety laws exist for factory Window tint, headlight brightness, air bags requirements, etc. Some states may have specific laws for some of these that apply to the drivers, but EV noise is not one of them.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
My Mustang Mach E does not make “construction equipment sounds.” It does make propulsion sounds (which I find amusing) and pedestrian alert sounds (which I just consider a common courtesy to my fellow humans who may have sensory limitations, or may just be oblivious).
Sponsored