Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Without overboost, i think it's the Power of the non PE GT.
After 15 sec you regain full power.
I can't link the details, but you find it in the press Release in the documents folder.
I wish…….

The non PE GT also has 480 hp, just 34 less peak tq (which happens around 35 mph from test results, well before the boost wears off).

From the test results so far, people are losing 100+ hp when the overboost wears off.

Also, the non PE GT is having the same issue.

Maybe it drops to the regular AWD 346hp? This lines up with test results, but also is NOT what was advertised.
Sponsored

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Very entertaining reading?, thank you all for this, I needed to kill some time while waiting during my wifes hair cutting appointment.
Keep up the good work and remember, we are talking about an electric SUV that was NEVER advertised as a 1/4 mile racer or top speed competitor.

Tony
Wrong. They called it a Mustang. If they had made it an Edge, no one would be complaining about the lack of performance. But they used the Mustang name to evoke the idea that this is a legitimate performance vehicle, then completely failed to deliver on that promise.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
In the Inside EV interview, Darren Palmer called the Mach-e GT a "once in a decade" performance vehicle.
Because no one would buy it a second time as a “performance vehicle“?

MachMachWhoThere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT Iconic Silver
Country flag
Definitely not mentioned yet.

I click the link, but clicking the document isn’t working for me.

I have never seen that mentioned by Ford anywhere else. They definitely buried that detail.

Does it mention how much power it’s supposed to have without the 5 second boost?
Wow! It’s true!

32F8771D-5DD0-4919-BB97-1B99A94A70ED.png

rgreene

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT-PE
Country flag
Ford has never claimed a higher overboost HP # that I’ve ever seen, it’s always been 480 and that’s it. So, it needs to be 480 and stay 480, not 480 then 250 or 300 after 5 seconds. Because in that case the rating needs to be 300HP (or whatever) SAE with 480HP available for 5 second overboost.
GTPE owner here. I took delivery before any reviews or any of this came to light. Am I frustrated with the situation? Sure, I wish that Ford had been more forth coming with their information. Would I still have taken the GTPE had I known all this? Not sure. I don’t track my car, and for all other aspects of the car I’m very happy. As far as my daily driving and weekend opportunities to do some fun drives, this car really does feel great. I think at the very least there is a significant question for the value proposition for a $70,000 car.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Wow! It’s true!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Discovered: GTPE Delivers 5 Seconds of Full Power on Acceleration Then Reduces Battery Power to Limit Heating 32F8771D-5DD0-4919-BB97-1B99A94A70ED
When the proper reviews come out, I will be interested to see if they mention the overboost at all or if it is just glossed over, Seeing as Ford marketing has already miss advertised the brakes GT owners would be getting :( when it comes to the GT / GTPE and implied expectations of performance vs the reality Ford really needs to be dragged over the coals by the press.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
You did, but you're too simple to see what was going on. Ford's website from day one has said those power numbers were based on peak battery power. Peak battery power means 100%. You'll never drive around with 100%.

You're mad because you now have a car that doesn't do what you thought it would do, based on clever marketing aimed at manipulating people such as yourself to assume performance that was never promised. If calling people dopes makes you feel like less of one, go ahead.
the problem has nothing to do with 100% battery power. You don’t lose 100+ horsepower just because you’re at 95% instead of 100%. You are seriously ignorant.

are you just here to troll?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
You did, but you're too simple to see what was going on. Ford's website from day one has said those power numbers were based on peak battery power. Peak battery power means 100%. You'll never drive around with 100%.
back to your separate corners boys....
Brazenbuck, you are confusing Power with Energy

True that battery Energy capacity will never be at 100%.... as soon as you unplug and drive off. But that is NOT what we are talking about when it comes to 'peak Power'. Yes, the Marketing is a little misleading because 'peak battery power' is essentially available voltage under load... which changes more with age and temperature than it does with capacity, until it gets 'very low'.

In any EV peak Power requires 'peak' voltage from battery, thru Inverter/Controller, thru motor, drivetrain etc. Power will be reduced for a number of reasons:
- battery pack capacity <20% will cause voltage available to start to drop
- an aging battery pack will start to 'sag' voltage under heavy loads
- an overheated battery pack will also 'sag' more, limiting the voltage available to inverter
- the Inverter has peak current it can put thru, which will be reduced by temperature... and since the power is a product of voltage and current.... temperature of battery, and Inverter, could reduce peak Power.
- the motor itself is capable of putting 4x or more current thru... for some 'limited' amount of time before it is thermally limited, and has to reduce power to prevent melting windings and insulation.

so.... EV peak power occurs when everything is at about 70 deg F

exceeding the cooling capacity to dump excess heat from battery internal resistance, inverter inefficiency, and motor inefficiency will raise temps in one or more components.... and the Controller reduces current to prevent damage. How and when and at what temps it reduces power is 'just software'....

so... if you want to drive an EV really hard (without changing the hardware), you have to either improve cooling, or hack the software to set more aggressive parameters which will likely shorten the life of *something*. Either choice negates warranty, but any 'racing modifications' generally do, right?!

Last edited:

Progress

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red MME GTPE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
GTPE owner here. I took delivery before any reviews or any of this came to light. Am I frustrated with the situation? Sure, I wish that Ford had been more forth coming with their information. Would I still have taken the GTPE had I known all this? Not sure. I don’t track my car, and for all other aspects of the car I’m very happy. As far as my daily driving and weekend opportunities to do some fun drives, this car really does feel great. I think at the very least there is a significant question for the value proposition for a $70,000 car.
It's good to hear that you (as well as several other new owners and recent reviewers) have fun driving the GTPE, and the car really does feel great!! That makes me even more excited about it, and I can't wait to get my GTPE soon! Part of the $70,000 car, besides magneride suspension and very fast acceleration, is the ability to get OTA updates. If Ford thinks they will be able to sell more GTPE vehicles by increasing the performance without degrading the battery, then they will do that once they get enough data about how people drive them. I think it was only 6 weeks ago that GTPEs started arriving to the first customers. It certainly seems from the specifications of the car that with the right software update, the performance will get to the next level. From what I have read on these forums, Ford has been conservative with OTA updates, so if one comes it may not be until next quarter.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Apparently we getting more media attention:

https://insideevs.com/news/540948/mache-gt-performance-acceleration-limited/amp/

I think it’s kinda funny how often the media are relying on us for rumor (news) sources.

I’m sure Ford is reading as well.
" If it were up to us, and it's certainly not, we would vote for all cars to have such a feature. Being able to blast to 60 mph in mere seconds is already dangerous. There's really no reason for cars to be able to accelerate so quickly at higher speeds or have ridiculous top speeds."

What a load of arse licking bollocks, I guess this is another site where Germany doesn't exist on the map, while 'dangers' of such acceleration is strangely never mentioned with tesla .

"That said, some drivers like to take their cars to the track. And, there's constant competition among carmakers to make the quickest vehicles. Ford backing off acceleration to preserve battery life may be seen as a good choice by some, but other folks want their high-performance Mustang crossover to compete against Tesla's vehicles."

Still a bit of balance at least, but if this is teaser to of the level of acceptance to poor performance engineering we are going to get from the proper reviews this forum is going to end being one of the only places that people thinking of getting a GT / GTPE for the performance are going to get an honest opinion.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
" If it were up to us, and it's certainly not, we would vote for all cars to have such a feature. Being able to blast to 60 mph in mere seconds is already dangerous. There's really no reason for cars to be able to accelerate so quickly at higher speeds or have ridiculous top speeds."

What a load of arse licking bollocks, I guess this is another site where Germany doesn't exist on the map, while 'dangers' of such acceleration is strangely never mentioned with tesla .

"That said, some drivers like to take their cars to the track. And, there's constant competition among carmakers to make the quickest vehicles. Ford backing off acceleration to preserve battery life may be seen as a good choice by some, but other folks want their high-performance Mustang crossover to compete against Tesla's vehicles."

Still a bit of balance at least, but if this is teaser to of the level of acceptance to poor performance engineering we are going to get from the proper reviews this forum is going to end being one of the only places that people thinking of getting a GT / GTPE for the performance are going to get an honest opinion.
I am sure the more traditional automotive reviewers will have a very different take on the issue.

Coyote Chaser

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
Asking as a non-drag racer, why does anyone care about the trap speed? The winner of the race is the one that crosses the finish line first (ET). ? ?
Trap speed isn't important in the type of drag racing I do (NMRA index) We qualify on reaction time and are then handicapped by our dial in (projected ET). This levels the field and allows a GT500 to run in the same class as an Ecoboost Mustang.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Discovered: GTPE Delivers 5 Seconds of Full Power on Acceleration Then Reduces Battery Power to Limit Heating Screenshot_2021-09-20-16-41-36

nj1266

First Name
Naji
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
In the Outofspec review of the GTPE, Kyle was not able to get into unbridled extreme mode after hooning the car a bit. It kept overheating and telling him that the mode is not accessible. Is this the reason for it? Is it the same thing or different?
Sponsored