sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
This video has the Mach-e chief engineer briefly discuss the 5 second boost (starts at about 9 minutes in)

Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
This video has the Mach-e chief engineer briefly discuss the 5 second boost (starts at about 9 minutes in)

Again, the 5 second boost is in there….. but they really gloss over it.

We have had to do some serious detective work to figure this out.

Porsche- details overboost on the front page of their website.

Ford- hides it in the middle of a secretly recorded video at a non-public event with zero details.

romanservices

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GTPE, FJ Cruiser, F150 EcoBoost, F-53
Country flag
To me a boost would deliver more than the stated HP/torque but then again marketing... Also, i expect near peak when i want it at any speed. Im disgusted with my GTPE. Should have been a 50k car not 70k.

Looking for a replacement already

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Again, the 5 second boost is in there….. but they really gloss over it.

We have had to do some serious detective work to figure this out.

Porsche- details overboost on the front page of their website.

Ford- hides it in the middle of a secretly recorded video at a non-public event with zero details.
Porsche's overboost is also around 20% and still has a ton of power without it.

Based on the trap speeds Ford's is probably closer to 40% and is probably slower than an Accord without it.

Also lol at calling the little tiny thing in the lower left hand corner of the screen a "boost gauge." You can barely even see the shading telling you that power is being limited. Ford is ashamed of this car's performance, as well they should be.

Ford screwed the pooch on this car. I told people who cares if they call it a Mustang as long as its got the goods and Ford releases a car that very clearly does not have the goods. I think resale value on these is going to tank, especially once the Hyundai/Kias start hitting the streets in volume. If you've got one and you're not sure you want to keep it long term I'd get out now while the getting is (might be) good. I'd probably have it listed for sale right now but I've been waiting for over a month on a goddamn warranty repair.

Last edited:

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag

Thanks to REVan Evan for putting this on youtube. There must have been some briefing that the professional testers attended when they all received their test vehicles. Why can't the 5 second boost be increased for those who want to run the 1/8 and 1/4 at the strip? Also mentioned was how EU would be good for a "couple of laps" at the autocross. I had heard someone mention good for 3 or 4 laps somewhere else; can't remember where. Is there any hope for the 22 GT?

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Also lol at people on this forum that think Ford doing their best to hide their overboost situation while makers like Porsche (and Hyundai, and Audi, etc) make theirs very clear just means that Ford are marketing geniuses rather than dishonest scumbags.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Also lol at people on this forum that think Ford doing their best to hide their overboost situation while makers like Porsche (and Hyundai, and Audi, etc) make theirs very clear just means that Ford are marketing geniuses rather than dishonest scumbags.
Don’t forget those who think it’s our fault for being idiots and not figuring it out sooner.

romanservices

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks to REVan Evan for putting this on youtube. There must have been some briefing that the professional testers attended when they all received their test vehicles. Why can't the 5 second boost be increased for those who want to run the 1/8 and 1/4 at the strip? Also mentioned was how EU would be good for a "couple of laps" at the autocross. I had heard someone mention good for 3 or 4 laps somewhere else; can't remember where. Is there any hope for the 22 GT?
I'd be livid if the do something for the 22's and not the 21's.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
From this data, it’s only 1C for 30% of the charging curve which seems far too conservative. It has a very brief spike of 1.5C at low SOC. This is ultra conservative compared to the E-GMP which chooses to be aggressive in charging at 2.5C and averages 1.9C. The lowly ID.4 even has a faster raw kW rate (and also higher charging C rate because of the smaller battery).

https://insideevs.com/news/492727/ford-mustang-mache-fast-charging-analysis/

Good to know battery temps are low because that implies there is performance head room to unlock.

Will examine your other data - thanks for the link. I see the system pushing out 200 kW around 50mph but has anybody graphed there power output to 100mph? Does the power stay at 2C / 200+ kW or does drop unexpectedly (whether by Ford design or some overheating of electronics)?
Yeah, the charge curve could be bumped up a bit further, and allowed to run a bit longer. They've said that will happen in an OTA, but hopefully that actually happens.

As for power while crusing, it can be quite low. A few days ago I was at 70mph on flat roads, moderate temperatures, and was only seeing 38kW of constant power. Of course, faster speeds will use disproportionally more power as drag takes over. I don't have a road nearby where I can safely test cruising power at 100mph...

I'll try to post some more logs soon, I've been continuing to collect data it is just slow to process and post.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
As for power while crusing, it can be quite low. A few days ago I was at 70mph on flat roads, moderate temperatures, and was only seeing 38kW of constant power. Of course, faster speeds will use disproportionally more power as drag takes over. I don't have a road nearby where I can safely test cruising power at 100mph...

I'll try to post some more logs soon, I've been continuing to collect data it is just slow to process and post.
Cruising power yes. I saw that on the ID.4 data too. It's acceleration that chews up current/amps.

The highest power output going from 25 to 80 mph was around 50mph at 150 kW (2C on ID.4) but cruising around 80mph after was 25-50 kW range (basically sub 0.5C discharge). The motors on the Mach-e are bigger and more power hungry too so I expect a larger power draw (saw 200-250 kW on your charts). It was an obvious design to make the MME an EV muscle car. They could have used smaller motors with less torque.

If you want to see ID.4 data for comparison...it's in this thread:

https://www.vwidtalk.com/threads/80...kwh-at-58-f-us-id-4-rwd-77kwh.1303/post-13000

Brofessional

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GR86, 12 Accord, 18 Yukon, 21 Mach E GT
Country flag
Devil's advocate: Ford's most important customer doesn't even know what overboost means. These are people that buy F150s solely based on how tough they think it will look on a $200 body lift kit sitting in the testosterone clinic parking lot.

Seriously though, it's not just that they aren't forthcoming with their product's design like some manufacturers. Someone at FMC who knew the answers to the questions about trap speeds being asked here and elsewhere in published articles was FULLY fucking aware of the discussions that were taking place, and they stayed silent. They have on official presence on this very forum for christ's sake, which they could have utilized to say "Hey. You guys are absolutely right. Max draw is currently limited to 5 seconds in the interest of reliability. This may be increased in a future OTA, but as of right now you don't need to be concerned whether or not you can pass that 2.0T Accord on a 2 lane." Could have shut this whole brew-ha-ha down before it started, but in their wisdom they decided it was better to piss off the group of people most enthusiastic about the car.

I used to think brand loyalty was an idiotic relic of my dad's generation, but I'll be damned if shit like this doesn't make me think buying anything other than a Toyota or Porsche product is just dumb. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Last edited:

romanservices

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Devil's advocate: Ford's most important customer doesn't even know what overboost means. These are people that buy F150s solely based on how tough they think it will look on a $200 body lift kit sitting in the testosterone clinic parking lot.

Seriously though, it's not just that they aren't forthcoming with their product's design like some manufacturers. Someone at FMC who knew the answers to the questions about trap speeds being asked here and elsewhere in published articles was FULLY fucking aware of the discussions that were taking place, and they stayed silent. They have on official presence on this very forum for christ's sake, which they could have utilized to say "Hey. You guys are absolutely right. Max draw is currently limited to 5 seconds in the interest of reliability. This may be increased in a future OTA, but as of right now you don't need to be concerned whether or not you can pass that 2.0T Accord on a 2 lane." Could have shut this whole brew-ha-ha down before it started, but in their wisdom they decided it was better to piss off the group of people most enthusiastic about the car.

I used to think brand loyalty was an idiotic relic of my dad's generation, but I'll be damned if shit like this doesn't make me think buying anything other than a Toyota or Porsche product is just dumb. Maybe I'm just getting old.
I remember years ago disconnecting the waste gate actuator on my 7.3L PowerStroke full time overboost, ran for years like that probably still disconnected if its still on the road. Not that simple anymore ? fwiw, that truck was probably quicker 60 to 100

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

I would bet it is not time limited, but temperature limited... but who knows unless Ford makes an official statement

JcMarin

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GT, Mustang EcoBoost, F-Type
Occupation
Telecom
Country flag
I would bet it is not time limited, but temperature limited... but who knows unless Ford makes an official statement
Its official and in the documentation, they give 5 seconds of boost and then throttle it back