buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
It is not a "world" vehicle. There are NA spec cars and there are cars spec'd for other regions. Just because there are roads without speed limits in other countries doesn't mean people drive recklessly on them. As statistics will bear out, and in my personal experience, European drivers are better trained and safer than US drivers.
I am well versed with European driving standard as I am originally from there and driven all over it and the standards can be a very mixed bag as much as it can be over here, however the testing standards are typically far greater and where quickly getting up to a matching the speed of the flow of traffic is not considered reckless :rolleyes:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
This is also getting picked up in the Lightning forums. Not sure how big an impact it will have, bit could turn some off there as well.

A 5 second limit had a much bigger impact on a truck. What if you are loaded down and/or towing a heavy load up a steep hill. Not good if power cuts off after 5 seconds and you can't make it!

MrClean

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
428i, X1, Mach-e GTPE on order
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
1. They should probably tune it so the 4x doesn't beat it
2. They should probably add a launch control that gives 12-15s of full power
They’ll detune the 4x instead.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I posted a more lengthy driving review (without hard data) in the thread I started about my MME GT showing up at the dealer. But in summary, after a lengthy test drive, I ended up buying it. I felt like the driving experience was fine, the power limiting is imperceptible to me in aggressive but not maniacal street driving. Its a really fast feeling SUV, in the end ;)

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
I posted a more lengthy driving review (without hard data) in the thread I started about my MME GT showing up at the dealer. But in summary, after a lengthy test drive, I ended up buying it. I felt like the driving experience was fine, the power limiting is imperceptible to me in aggressive but not maniacal street driving. Its a really fast feeling SUV, in the end ;)
That’s pretty much what I’m expecting to find when I do my test drive. It’s not like I’ll be roll racing cars on the highway, so I have a feeling this issue might be overblown for people who just drive the car normally with a quick blast here and there.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
This is also getting picked up in the Lightning forums. Not sure how big an impact it will have, bit could turn some off there as well.

A 5 second limit had a much bigger impact on a truck. What if you are loaded down and/or towing a heavy load up a steep hill. Not good if power cuts off after 5 seconds and you can't make it!
The Lightning has MUCH more cooling capacity. It isn't just the battery. The inverter and motors get pretty darn hot as well. That is why it has temp gauges for the IDMs and HVB.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The way Ford explained it, it gives full power for about 5 seconds then it ramps back the battery power to limit heating. It's done for long-term battery life in order for Ford to guarantee 70-plus percent battery life for 8 years.

like I said before, the first race tune to consider is to 'supercharge' the cooling loops for motors, inverter, and battery. Instead of nitro in the fuel, EV racers need a quick-chill that can keep everything at 70 deg F for 10 seconds of max accel rather than 5.

maybe a second chiller or a pre-chilled reservoir that you could hit just before a run to lower the fluid temp drastically to enable more heat transfer during a run....

My bet would be.... if you pulled the plastic Frunk out, put a flat-plate heat exchanger in-line with the motor/inverter/battery coolant loops, and added a reservoir of pre-chilled fluid, with a dedicated heat-pump to chill it between acceleration events; performance would improve leaving all existing software and hardware alone.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bell-Go...e-BPX-Brazed-Plate-Heat-Exchanger-12689000-p?

Last edited:

GT500R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P
Country flag
But I don't think your example is actually true. The analysis indicates the reason the trap speed is lower than expected is because of the 5 second power limitation. Assuming you didn't just accelerate from 0 to 70 in your highway scenario, the GT would have "full" power on tap and would blow the doors off the Honda.
The example is true. Go find a Honda Accord 0-60 time and then 1/4 mile time. Subtract the two and you’ll realize the time left (60-100ish) is about the same as a Mach E GT
You are assuming the GT has full power after cruising for a while on the highway and no full throttle. Tests have indicated otherwise. Therefore the 5 second power is really only for 0-60/70 sprints and not highway speeds.

Brazenbuck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE | Shelby GT500
Country flag
The GT has plenty of passing power.

Progress

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red MME GTPE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
like I said before, the first race tune to consider is to 'supercharge' the cooling loops for motors, inverter, and battery. Instead of nitro in the fuel, EV racers need a quick-chill that can keep everything at 70 deg F for 10 seconds of max accel rather than 5.

maybe a second chiller or a pre-chilled reservoir that you could hit just before a run to lower the fluid temp drastically to enable more heat transfer during a run....

My bet would be.... if you pulled the plastic Frunk out, put a flat-plate heat exchanger in-line with the motor/inverter/battery coolant loops, and added a reservoir of pre-chilled fluid, with a dedicated heat-pump to chill it between acceleration events; performance would improve leaving all existing software and hardware alone.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bell-Go...e-BPX-Brazed-Plate-Heat-Exchanger-12689000-p?
In one of the discussions it was stated that in Unbridled Extend mode the car precools the battery to get ready for the run. Perhaps one could drive in Unbridled Extend to a point where one wanted to start timing the car, then switch to Unbridled and see if one got more than 5 seconds of high power.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I'm late to this party and to be honest didn't read most of the replies.

My experience is NOT this. If you're already going 80mph (cruise set) and lay into it you don't even get a full second before it starts power limiting. If you're going 60mph you may get a few seconds but certainly not 5.

If you've been driving hard throttle where it has limited it will keep that limit for maybe a few seconds, maybe 10+ seconds depending on certain factors...it may keep it even longer if the battery or motors are hot. It may put a very harsh limit in right away even at lower 50mph speeds when you lay into it if you just did a higher speed pull.

There's some mystery to all of this but 5 second power limit is just false. There's a lot more factors to it.

I've noticed the power limits act the same in all modes except unbridled extended where it is always limited. I almost don't even believe it is heat related, I believe it is more likely just conservative software based on how much time you're spending at higher power outputs. 5 seconds is just not the answer.

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
Very entertaining reading?, thank you all for this, I needed to kill some time while waiting during my wifes hair cutting appointment.
Keep up the good work and remember, we are talking about an electric SUV that was NEVER advertised as a 1/4 mile racer or top speed competitor.

Tony
Sponsored