Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Inspiration: How about an option to add a battery to your vehicle, stored in the year hatch? Could it be useful in two ways? There's a big plug in back (covered by a door panel) and maybe a plastic bracket that it drops in and the battery rests / locks securely.
I think NIO(?) in China tried this. Personally I'm a little leery of high voltage (400V) battery packs with exposed contacts. Safety is a major concern with such voltages.

Right now, I don't think it is practical either because battery cooling systems are tied deeply into battery packs. Would be fine with EVs without active battery cooling like the Leaf....
Sponsored

Colt

First Name
Aundre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
There's quite a few of you talking about the cool down so I threw on some clothes and took the car out quickly. Here's a video from 0-80 maxing out the energy as seen by the grey bars in the right of the energy meter, then full regen to total cool down. Sorry for the squelching of my phone case on the plastic but I left audio on so you can tell when I floored it.

I count about 5 seconds until it starts throttling power, to 8 seconds where it's maxed throttled then 10+ seconds for full cool down.
Thank you so much for the video. I was wondering, does this affects ALL Mach E's or just the GT versions?

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Thank you so much for the video. I was wondering, does this affects ALL Mach E's or just the GT versions?
Just the more expensive, higher horsepower, higher torque, GT and GT Performance models. The Plebian Selects, Premiums and CA RT 1s werenā€™t given the ā€œfeatureā€. But hey, at least the GTs handle, stop and look better.

JARU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, F-150, Motorcycles
Country flag
Isnā€™t it fairly obvious Ford is limiting the performance to not make their ICE line totally obsolete?

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
They should have put a beefier cooling system for the motors in the gt variants. Then it wouldnā€™t have been an issue as much.

Tngo23

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22-GTPE, Lexus GS350 F Sport, Porsche 911 SC
Occupation
Chilling
Country flag
Isnā€™t it fairly obvious Ford is limiting the performance to not make their ICE line totally obsolete?
I don't think that is the case for the MME to outperform the ICE Stangs....
Otherise, they would have done it with the new F150 Lightning which does not have the 5 sec battery limit!

Mancini789

First Name
Mancini
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No have
Occupation
freelance
Country flag
A lot of EVs use a timed over boost of power, however European legislation doesn't allow you to market using just the larger over boost number you have to use both, as the European marketing for the GT has no mention of over boost power I guess we now have to add this to the long list of Fords marketing shame.

Now of course motors only need to make the peak power at a certain revs to be legally accurate, so all this 5 seconds of power talk basically says at Ford we cobbled together this EV and have so little faith in our battery pack engineering and testing that we have neutered everything because warranty.

As the battery pack has an 8 year 100000 mile warranty, does that mean once I reach one and it becomes out of warranty will I be presented with a you have now unlocked full power achievement on my center screen, brings new meaning to my commute being the daily grind.
Thanks for this
Sponsored